It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philly police to fire 4 over videotaped beating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Philly police to fire 4 over videotaped beating

news.yahoo.com

PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia's police commissioner said Monday that four officers will be fired and four others disciplined for their roles in the beatings of three shooting suspects, an encounter that was captured on videotape and drew widespread outrage.

Another eight officers who had physical contact with the suspects will undergo additional training on the department's policies concerning the use of force, Commissioner Charles Ramsey said. He said the police department made the disciplinary decisions after reviewing frames from enhanced tape of a video shot by a television news helicopter on May 5.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
TV video shows Philly officers kicking, hitting 3 suspects

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well, at least there is a glimmer of hope that we might see a bit of justice here. But I guess if you only jumped on the bandwagon to take part in an illegal and viscious beating, it's not really your fault and you can still be a cop.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Not a peep huh? I thought sure a bunch of cop lovers would jump in here to say "see, justice does work."

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
See, justice does work.

Wait.......nevermind. Justice is as much myth as it is reality.

I was going to put up a new thread just now about this case in Philly but since you are already talking here about cops kicking people when they are down, I'll just go ahead and add it here.

Philly cop kicks a subdued man in the head.

Thank god for news choppers to help keep these boot stompers in line...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That's messed up. But I got it worse than that just for telling the cops I wasn't afraid of being arrested, while I was standing on my own front porch.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
So would these cops have been fired if the videos had not been so widespread? Makes me think the commissioner is firing them because of public outcry. I agree that they should be fired, I am just saying, would it have been under the rug per say, if the video didn't hit the net.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I'm here Jack! You knew I would be.

This is the first step of getting the fraternal order in line and working for us again, instead of themselves.

Now If someone can get criminal charges to stick on them, order will be begin amongst the ranks. Very rarely have groups like this been taken down - it would be glorious to see them housed with the gang bangers in prison, so they can see what they've become. Though no doubt they'll be in Protective Custody, otherwise they'd become someones bitch.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I'm surprised they got fired at all, even with the video out all over the place. And keep in mind that there were a lot more than four cops there. Not a single one of them actually tried to protect the suspect from being beaten either. Not one of them tried to stand up for what is right. Bunch of spineless thugs, hiding behind a badge.

[edit on 5/22/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Ok i must've missed something. Says 19 cops all together, 18 regular & 1 transit. 4 getting fired, 3 suspended, 1 sarge getting demoted ( he's higher ranking, should receieve a more severe punishment) 8 more have 2 go 2 some bs training, what is happening to the other three ?

If they have video taped proof why aren't they all losing thier jobs ? Some cops are worse than the gangs, at least here in Chicago. Thier job is to uphold the law, they didn't apprehend criminals, they pulled some guys out of a car and gang beat them. Therefore they broke the law and should lose thier jobs as well as be prosecuted. If there were cops there that just stood there and did nothing but watch, imo they should also lose thier jobs.

I forget that since they uphold the law, that makes them ABOVE the law, doesn't it. I'm guessing that since only 4 are losing thier jobs, this means that some are more above the law than others.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

If I remember correctly, only the new guys are getting fired.

Here's a copy of the video. Looks to me like more than four got a piece...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the video, i looked for it, but couldn't find it. Looks like everyone got a piece of the action except for maybe the last 3-4 that showed up at the scene & the cop with the dog.

That wasn't police work, it was mob action ! Sure as hell looks to me like more than four of them should lose thier jobs. I'm sure they're tryin to say that the people in the helicopter didn't see what happened before that, or some other crap. Can't change the visual evidence though.

See it all the time here, and worse. I've had em tell me that me, my sons, & thier friends can't sit on our own front porch. Told em they can't tell me i can't sit on my own property, " open your F***** mouth again & we'll take your a** to the station ! was thier answer.

Woman can't even sit on her own front porch with her kids, but hey we don't live in a police state do we ?

Can't even count how many times i've gone out there because they had all the kids spread eagle against the squads, for simply sitting on the porch after getting off work, while the gangbangers are on the next corner ! It's sickening what they allow them to get away with.

top topics

join