It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, this Anon character makes ATS less of what it was.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'm with the view of Anon posts being a nuisance. I can't take an argument seriously when it's posted in Anon. Most of the time I skip over the posts as well, only to have to go back and read it later and wonder why they had to post anon anyways. I can understand some kind of posting like this for people who can't log into a site at work, but I think it's being abused by members as a way of attacking without direct repercussions.

reply to post by Keyhole

That would be a good idea, however there are problems with IP logging, as stated earlier.

How about 2 different posts... non-member and then Members can PURCHASE anon posts. That would deter some of the bashers from taking cheap shots. Make it something like 50 or 100 points to post anon.

BTW, you won't ever catch me posting anonymously at all. If I can't put up a post for fear of it being always linked to my name, I just won't do it. If I have something to say, I am PROUD to have people know it was me.

I just don't get some people. Actually, I do... and that's what I don't like, I guess. Seems a majority just use the Anon to get off a cheap shot without consequence for their words.

[edit on 23-5-2008 by Earthscum]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I like the idea. Anonymous posting statistically brings more registered users. People start out browsing, post a few anonymous posts, and end up registering.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by SantaClaus

Example... Some old guy is walking around town telling people that trees are the overseers of humanity, and someday our arboreal owners will awaken to take control of all the world's chocolate.

Embrace diversity

Embrace Conversation...

Embrace the T&C...

Embrace others' thoughts.

Would you like to contribute your personal thoughts to the thread or would you like to continue to disagree with me in the most vague way possible?

I love your posts typically, but what are you trying to say to me? Please let me know, it would be of great help to my ignorance.

All I am saying is that neat little avatar you have gives you a face to me. Your posts are relevant to me. I recognize you and believe I will remember your activity on this thread.

When I see ANCIENT threads get brought up by ANON I get mad (See FEMA coffins in Georgia). These thread were dead for a reason, they were no longer relevant.

But in the end, it still matters that posts should be bought at face-value. The person who wrote them matters, and thus the organic nature of ATS is ruined by ANONYMOUS.

If you want to be crazy like the rest of us, admit it..

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
Example... Some old guy is walking around town telling people that trees are the overseers of humanity...(snip)..this is the guy who think trees are watching me eat my snickers with envy.

I just think random words are nothing more than graffiti.. They might say something important, but without the owner being around, I can't question the motive....

Get my drift?

I see we have different views on Graffiti too but hey...maybe you wanna track the artist down and grill them on specifics but to me that isn't necessary. Most of it is pretty obvious in its meaning if you've been around (from juvenile ego trips, to political statements) but hey I live in the city and see it all the time.

I get your point, however you are leaving out the part where the comment about "Tree overlords" is scrutinized and approved or rejected before mentioned from the lips of the old man by a group of professionals that have so far shown nothing but a practical common sense approach to almost every topic I've seen so far. Meaning something nonsensical such as that would not be given a soapbox unless that person DID take ownership.

Who are you to declare what are random words anyway?

I've come across various Anon posts and none so far have been absurd or even incomprehensible. It is just a person expressing an opinion to a topic. Not unlike what you and I have done here. It doesn't matter to me whether you are a member or not and for an Anon, those words are reviewed and deemed contributory BEFORE being posted. You have less freedoms to reply in the same way you did to my post.

I believe you could just address the point in the thread to the members participating and not just focus solely on the poster of the point. We should be doing this to some degree anyway and not looking for a specific back-and-forth. It is easy to do this. In fact if anything it is too easy as there is little chance for rebuttal from an Anon in a specific way since they aren't members. All the more reason why they probably would want to join.

An Anon is in ownership of their words. I look at each Anon post as a new Anon post.

Are you worried about being made a fool of by anonymous posters in some way you won't recognize? Can you show me an example of an Anon posted an "outrageous" statement as compared to the example you made?

Can Anon's start threads?

If so...then yeah I think THAT would be too far.

The length of my membership has nothing to do with anything. I'm a member just like you. There is no such thing as seniority here unless you're an amigo, mod, or maybe an expert.

I hear you. I believe that most Mods were members that have been here for some length of time though but in any case it just would seem odd if someone signed up for one week and started complaining about changes to the site without much of a lengthy point of reference.

That's just me I suppose.

- Lee

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
So are you saying that a member must be a member for a set amount of time to be valued as a member ? That only members that have been here a year or longer have a right to voice thier opinions ?

No, you said that. Take ownership of it.

I personally would understand this point of view coming from someone that has been here long enough to get used to the way the site was prior to the Anon implemention and if they have been here for even a little while they would know that changes to the site occur all the time.

So what was ATS before it came "less"? How is it less? That is what I am trying to understand.

I've been here for a while and I don't see any difference. I don't see that it has lost any value at all due to any minor changes. Most have HELPED the site grow and reach a broader audience.. I don't think the change of allowing anonymous posts to a site has devalued it in any way.

That is my opinion which you don't have to value.

- Lee

[edit on 24-5-2008 by lee anoma]

[edit on 24-5-2008 by lee anoma]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Can anyone point to a few Anonymous posts in the past 48 hours that showcase the concerns you're raising here?

Can anyone?

It is a valid question. I would like to see some examples at least.

Again I have yet to see anything that would make me understand the point of this thread.

- Lee

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Originally posted by chise61
So are you saying that a member must be a member for a set amount of time to be valued as a member ? That only members that have been here a year or longer have a right to voice thier opinions ?

[No, you said that. Take ownership of it.]

I believe that you must have missed something. Notice it starts out "so are you saying..." and ends with a question mark. That in most circles constitutes asking a question, not making a statement.

So of course i will take ownership of asking a question, because that's what it was a question. I asked the questions because the wording of your post seemed to imply that that was what you were saying. By the way your reply to me reads the same way.

There are members here that have lurked the site for a long time before becoming members. There may be a member that lurked for a year or longer before registering, so just looking at a members registration date may not tell you how long they've been coming here.

You believe that people should be able to post here anonymously, as is your right. However you also SEEM to believe that only long time members should be able to voice thier opinions on matters such as this. If this is true i would say it's a bit hypocritical, wouldn't you.

I read the anonymous posts, have replied, and starred them as some of them are very good posts. My problems with the anonymous posts (as i stated in a previous post) is not that they post. My problem is that we can not interact with them as they must wait twelve hours to post again, and thier post must be approved. If you and i were on at the same time, we would be able to discuss a topic because we are both members, i can't do that with an anonymous poster, so yes it does take something away from the site in that regard.

My other problem is the fact that we have no way to distinguish between them, which makes it hard to interact with them. It would be better if they had some sort of identification, such as anonymous #1, #2, #3 etc. I'm not advocating terminating the anonymous poster, but rather improving the feature so that they blend in a little better with the community here.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

no offense, I was just being humorous.

As to the points you bring up: They are revelant and read by staff. Anonymous Posting is in its test-phase and some of the stuff coming up here may be factored in in the future (possible example: anonymous cant bump ancient threads).

My personal opinion? I havent decided yet.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

On second thought though...there are some awesome old threads out there that could use some recognition. Many times Ive found un-responded-to old threads that made my day.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

On second thought though...there are some awesome old threads out there that could use some recognition. Many times Ive found un-responded-to old threads that made my day.

Firstly, I apologize that I made it look like I was offended by your posts. Even if they hadn't been humorous, they still had meaning.

I'd agree that some older posts are being brought back from the dead with some reason.

But since I can't seem to decide which forum I like the best, I am always clicking the "recent posts" button to find anything relevant to my though process. But the recent posts are (I believe) being inundated with these anons finding what they was to find via google. They don't take into consideration that most members probably have seen the thread and had nothing more to say on it. So unless they bring up some intense new outlook on the subject, I just don't see the reasons for beating a dead horse.

I am willing to admit that there are some places and instances where this character could be used to further discussion. I suppose however, that my love for the organic quality of the site is blinding me to this phenomenon.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I do not respond to a post made anonymously.

I ignore anon posts.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I agree with Santa on this one. Why all of a sudden people want to post on old threads is beyond me. Now, just because it is anonymous, people get balls enough to disagree. It seems all the anon posts are exactly opposite of what the OP says. Maybe that is just what I am seeing.
If you don't want to be a member, then just be a lurker and read. If you have an opinion to share, then sign up. Pretty simple really. Anonymous is just something to hide behind when you have no guts. And besides, anonymous leads to suspicion. Who the hell knows who is typing this stuff. It could be staff for all we know.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Ive opened this summary thread which collects

* All comments made by site administration on anonymous posting

* A summary of question and issue threads raised by members.

For the sake of efficiency and staff recognition it would be nice if you contribute further issues to that thread.

Santa: Feel free to summarize the issues in a post on that thread.

This thread is closed.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join