It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure what it was, but it was very big

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Hi all, I have been a member here for a little while now and have read many a fine threads from other members and their experiences. At first I was very cautious about posting but after a while in the forums I figure I might as well tell my sighting story now that I'm a little more comfortable here.

It was December 15th, 2007 at approximately between 2:30am and 3:00am. I was up watching a movie, waiting for my wife to get home from an office function and went out to the front yard for a smoke. It was relatively clear out with a few tiny clouds here and there. I was looking west and at first I thought it was a bird gliding towards my direction but as it got closer i realized it was NO bird. It was completely white and made NO sound. By the time it got overhead I would say it was a couple hundred feet in the air (best guestimate) and traveling relatively quickly.

Im not an artist but I drew a quick sketch of what it looked like.

At its height and its size I would guess that the wing span was huge. When it went over the house, its span seemed to cover not only my house but also the houses on either side. The reason I know it wasn't a bird is because of its size. I would estimate the the wing span at approximately 80ft + , hell I don't know exactly all I do know is that it was VERY big.

There were no lights I could make out on it but I watched it pass by as it went from west to east. I could see the lights of the city shining on it as they would with low clouds.

I have no idea what it was, all I can say is I have NEVER seen an aircraft like it before nor since. Has anyone else seen anything like this before? or know of any experimental aircraft fitting its description?

I told my wife what I saw but she is the worlds biggest skeptic. Hell, she wouldn't believe in bigfoot even if he was standing right in front of her. I also looked on the local ufo sighting website for Vancouver but no one else seems to have seen it. Maybe Im just going crazy

I also know from reading threads here that without concrete evidence like a photo or video my experience doesn't add up to squat except for a nice read. Im not asking anyone to believe, im just asking for a little insight as to what it may have been.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Kind of reminds me of the Boeing Bird of Prey, but I'm not even sure these are being manufactured right now.

Cool looking vehicle. The intriguing part is the altitude and the lack of sound.

Does it look at all like that?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Interesting. Could that be what you saw QB? I agree that the lack of sound is odd. Could it have been gliding? Either way, very cool and thank you for sharing your story! Very cool of you

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
could be.....if it was 20 or so times bigger. This thing was huge! I don't think Ive ever seen anything , commercially anyways as large. Also the wings swept forwards first then went aft, much like a....well... a bird.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Right on, wow....that is pretty cool. Not sure what else to say other than wow! I wonder if these sightings are getting more common or is this stuff just being reported more and noticed thanks to the internet? Thanks again for sharing!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Wow I guess I assumed the "large" part was due to how close it was. I find people are usually very surprised at the size of military vehicles (either way smaller or way bigger than they thought). So when you say a couple hundred feet, could it be anything from 300 to 1000 or are we talking 100-200? I only ask because I'd think you'd certainly feel a gust from such a large craft flying so low.

If the thing was going 200 mph, I'd assume with a 80+ ft wingspan, it could literally rip shingles with the air it displaces. I am by no means an expert, so maybe we can get zaphod on this. If it flies and a person built it, he most definitely knows something about it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Of course I am just guesstimating but 200 to 300 but it could have been at 500. It was hard to tell. It didn't seem to be traveling very fast....I suppose if I had to relate the speed to something known....maybe as fast as a Cessna plane might fly over? for its size, if it was the size of the jet in the picture you posted it would have been maybe only 30 to 40 feet in the air

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ok, I'm going to give it a whack.

If it was anything military or experimental, it would still obey ICAO regulations or FAA regulations (depending on where you are).

It was at an altitude of at least 500 feet from you description and upwards of about 2,500.

Believe it or not, 500 feet is not that high up and is a very dangerous altitude to be flying at, let a lone 200-300 feet.

Off the top of my head, your description of the aircraft resembles nothing that I know of in the current US or Russian inventory (don't ask me much about Canadian, U2U Canada-EH for a better understanding of Canadian hardware).

The drawing you made is quite rudimentary, I know you were trying to get the idea of the wing's position and shape across as important, but what might be more important is the exact shape of the fuselage and what it looked like.

Did the aircraft have an empenage(tail-section)?

Is the location of the wings on your drawing to scale with the what you actually saw?

With computer fly-by-wire systems it is very possible to make an aircraft with that shape fly, but somewhat challenging. And by the analogy you gave, the aircraft could have been moving anywhere between 60 to 165 mph. That's pretty slow, and at that altitude will take a very long time to exit your line of sight(but it was dark so a lot easier to lose).

Did the aircraft have any lights on the wingtips and in the back?

Was it blue/green/red? Did it have what seemed like regular white lights emanating from the wing roots? From the bottom of the aircraft? Any strobing lights?

Right now, this is the best I can do, but if you want a much better inquisition into the matter, I highly recommend you ask for this thread to be moved to the Aircraft Project's forum.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Im not the greatest at judging height and speed but if it were at 1000 to 2000 ft, it must have been massive. As for lights...none what so ever except from the light reflecting off it from the ground. Yeah, the drawing isn't the greatest but I would say that the wings extended further out than the what the drawing shows. Again it made NO sound either. The shape of the fuselage was pretty much as I drew. From a distance I thought it was a low flying bird...until it got closer and overhead. I could see that it wasn't any bird.

How do I go about getting this moved to the Aircraft Projects forum?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
U2U a mod about it, if not, just make a post in this thread asking.

Or maybe if kleverone could help.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
How do I go about getting this moved to the Aircraft Projects forum?

But this is an unidentified flying object, not any known aircraft project. I'm not sure that would merit a move. I would suggest starting a new thread there asking anyone with knowledge on aircraft if they could identify it. You may get someone else searching UFO's who has seen something similar that would miss this thread if moved. Let me know if that floats with ya!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well, the way I see it is that the Aircraft Projects forum is better-suited to answer the OP's question.

There are plenty of threads in the Aircraft Projects forum that are like this. Most members that post in this forum post here because they aren't even aware that there is even an Aircraft Projects forum, a place for something like this!

But that's just my opinion. Just from my 5 years of being at ATS has dictated this thought. To me it is what makes the most sense.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Which is why I suggested that the OP open a new thread in that forum asking a specific question. Problem solved.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Sounds good. Thanks for all the input guys!!

Just one question though. Is there a reason I cannot seem to do any editing to my previous posts in this thread?

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Once the time frame of an hour has allotted from the time you made the post, you lose all editing privileges.

It's a handy little tool, but it helps to be firm on what you're posting.

Shattered OUT...

top topics

join