It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug testing and you...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
This issue is not only about drugs and you really need to consider it. Consider the things this government has done to limit rights.

NAME ONE THING !!!

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is not about removing rights, this is about the school taking parental responcibilities on.

It is not their place to test kids for drugs, but the parents. If it requires parental consent, then it should be the parents responcibilities.

The focus of school is to learn and learn only. To teach children what they need to know to get to college and/or to help them be successful in the workplace.

This is a far cry from that, and as a product of the public school system, I have taken it upon myself to learn as I see fit.

There is a great failing in the school system, and this adds to the diversion from learning.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus

This issue is not only about drugs and you really need to consider it. Consider the things this government has done to limit rights.

NAME ONE THING !!!

Only one?

Patriot Act: indefinite detention of both citizens and non-citizens without formal charges. I believe that one is against some Constitutional Amendment...don't you?

You're welcome

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
This is not about removing rights, this is about the school taking parental responcibilities on.
It is not their place to test kids for drugs, but the parents. If it requires parental consent, then it should be the parents responcibilities.
The focus of school is to learn and learn only. To teach children what they need to know to get to college and/or to help them be successful in the workplace.
This is a far cry from that, and as a product of the public school system, I have taken it upon myself to learn as I see fit.
There is a great failing in the school system, and this adds to the diversion from learning.

Well..........when your kids get older and approach the age at which you need to start worrying about drug use and abuse....I promise you that your views will change about this.

With all our lives being as busy as they are, I count on my sons teachers to keep me up to date on his behavior and education. I have signed permission slips for everything from field trips to sex education and have not once found anything to be an invasion of his or our privacy. I have a right to excuse him from any activity I have a problem with and the right to move him to another school if I wanted to.

OXMANK
Like I asked twice before this.....what rights have you lost in your lifetime..............NONE
and for you to even have an opinion on this is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The fact that I could be detained and not be brought up on charges and be held indefinitly...that old chestnut...yeah I lost the right to not have that happen to me.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

NAME ONE THING !!!

Only one?

Patriot Act: indefinite detention of both citizens and non-citizens without formal charges. I believe that one is against some Constitutional Amendment...don't you?

You're welcome

This is to protect all of us! You show me ONE person convicted under the patriot act and I'll kiss your ass in the middle of your front street

This is a cop-out..........
WHAT RIGHTS HAVE YOU LOST?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The fact that I could be detained and not be brought up on charges and be held indefinitly...that old chestnut...yeah I lost the right to not have that happen to me.

What color is the sky you live in? You were NEVER safe from this!

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

and for you to even have an opinion on this is ridiculous.

well then, for you too. You're not the one who will be forced to go into a little room and urinate into a cup with someone watching you...it is an invasion of privacy, and a waste of time. And you say that you rely on teachers and school to hear about your son's behavior? Well, sorry, but maybe you should try talking to the kid instead of going above him asking for drug tests, and reviewing every single thing that he does...seriously, I feel sorry for your son, he probably has no social life due to overprotective parenting...you say you don't want him doing drugs without you knowing, well guess what, minors do have a right to privacy, if you had a good relationship with your son then you might be able to tell about drug use, rather than relying on your school to force him into drug testing....yes, this is a job "parents" should be fulfilling, being responsible for their children. If you want to privately subject your OWN kid to drug tests, go ahead, Im sure he will love you much more for that one. But as far as everyone else is concerned, most parents realize that kids grow up and try things, and it can't be stopped. You can only try to guide them in the right direction. If you are this worried about your son at 12 years old, just wait until high school. You won't be able to chain him down for so long.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You know why noone has been convicted under this? Because they have been detained and have not had the RIGHT to a trial. Plus, it could happen to me or you. What would you do then? Finally start crying about things? That is such a #ty reason not to care, because it doesn't affect you.

Also, by your reasoning, "Since it's not happening to me", the slaves shouldn't have been freed. Slavery wasn't happening to the rich white men. Why should they care? Why should they act?

Also, women or negros shouldn't have been given the right to vote by your sentiment. After all, it didn't affect the law makers.

I raise hell because I am one of the few people who actually cares about our freedoms, not just my own.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Originally posted by Shoktek

You're not the one who will be forced to go into a little room and urinate into a cup with someone watching you...it is an invasion of privacy, and a waste of time.

I have pee'd in more cups then you have in your kitchen cabinet. And I can assure you that if my son has to piss in a cup it'll be ME watching him do it.

And you say that you rely on teachers and school to hear about your son's behavior? Well, sorry, but maybe you should try talking to the kid instead of going above him asking for drug tests, and reviewing every single thing that he does

There isn't a single child that behaves the same at school as they do at home......LOOK IT UP! And this isn't about ME drug testing him....it's about allowing his school to do it.

...seriously, I feel sorry for your son, he probably has no social life due to overprotective parenting...you say you don't want him doing drugs without you knowing, well guess what, minors do have a right to privacy, if you had a good relationship with your son then you might be able to tell about drug use, rather than relying on your school to force him into drug testing....yes, this is a job "parents" should be fulfilling, being responsible for their children. If you want to privately subject your OWN kid to drug tests, go ahead, Im sure he will love you much more for that one. But as far as everyone else is concerned, most parents realize that kids grow up and try things, and it can't be stopped. You can only try to guide them in the right direction. If you are this worried about your son at 12 years old, just wait until high school. You won't be able to chain him down for so long.

How old are you?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You know why noone has been convicted under this? Because they have been detained and have not had the RIGHT to a trial.

Please post your source for this information.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

There isn't a single child that behaves the same at school as they do at home......LOOK IT UP! And this isn't about ME drug testing him....it's about allowing his school to do it.

Maybe other parents don't share your extremist viewpoints...maybe other parents respect their son/daughter's privacy...maybe other parents who DO want drug tests for their children can take them to the local clinic to have it done.

And let me ask how old ARE YOU? Times have changed, it is the year 2004...kids do a lot more "unacceptable" things these days than back when you were probably in school. I'm not saying they should do whatever they want, as many are out of control, but drug testing won't solve anything. Your only argument so far has been that you should have the right to know if he is using drugs...fine, so have him take drug tests. They don't need to subject everyone to this policy.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
All of this proactive parenting garbage won't get you anywhere. Why don't you try to form a relationship with your son, instead of simply order him around telling him what he can't do, and snooping around in his life. An open relationship would be much better than him being mad at you all the time for being so strict. If you have raised your son right, you should know that he will have the sense to do things you would like him to...saying that you dont trust your own child, and invading his privacy just tells us that you dont believe in your success as a parent. And guess what? Keeping him so safe from "screwing up" will make him want to try things like drugs more than if you just let him make his own decisions. And yes, kids make mistakes, everyone does, theres nothing you can do to stop it, especially not drug testing.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Maybe other parents don't share your extremist viewpoints...maybe other parents respect their son/daughter's privacy...maybe other parents who DO want drug tests for their children can take them to the local clinic to have it done.

And let me ask how old ARE YOU? Times have changed, it is the year 2004...kids do a lot more "unacceptable" things these days than back when you were probably in school. I'm not saying they should do whatever they want, as many are out of control, but drug testing won't solve anything. Your only argument so far has been that you should have the right to know if he is using drugs...fine, so have him take drug tests. They don't need to subject everyone to this policy.

I'm 35................and you?
Or maybe they could run down to the local pharmacy and grab on off the shelf! That isn't the point of this.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Or maybe they could run down to the local pharmacy and grab on off the shelf! That isn't the point of this.

Ok, so then what IS your point? You want drug testing for YOUR kid, do it in your own time. How does that relate to its necessity in public schools?

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Ok, so then what IS your point? You want drug testing for YOUR kid, do it in your own time. How does that relate to its necessity in public schools?

Since it's very apparent that you are a "youngster" yourself....I'll be nice

My point is that as a parent I will take any help I can get in detering my children from using drugs. I know how hard it is not to give in to peer pressure and if random drug testing at school helps give one child a reason NOT to use....I am all for it.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Since it's very apparent that you are a "youngster" yourself....I'll be nice

My point is that as a parent I will take any help I can get in detering my children from using drugs. I know how hard it is not to give in to peer pressure and if random drug testing at school helps give one child a reason NOT to use....I am all for it.

Apparently you have realized that your argument was flawed, and you are now ASSUMING that I am still in school, and you continue to show your own ignorance in the issues at hand by not giving any logical reasons towards the topic, other than some little story about how you need to know whether or not your son is on drugs. Not all parents want this, and the drug testing can subject ANYONE to random tests. Why don't you talk to your own son about this, and ask him how he feels. I would bet he would agree with me. It is too bad that you haven't done a good enough job parenting to be sure of your son, and that you are passing on parental responsibilities to the school system.
Come back to this thread in 4 years when your son is 16, and see how great your relationship is...you need to get a grip on your OWN affairs, and parenting before you tell us how it should be done for all kids. You have "peed in more cups than in my cabinet" so obviously you have some issues...

I know many "youngsters" who are much more informed, aware, and competent in these issues than you--my age makes no difference. I graduated high school years ago, and my classmates who had the most restrictions set upon them by their parents always turned out to be the ones with social and anxiety problems later on, or else the ones who would "rebel" and become drug addicts or join the military.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
So......how old did you say you were again?
OH WAIT....you didn't!
And why is that?

HMMMMM.......

Because you aren't old enough to know your ass from a hole in the ground?

Were you abused as a child?

or maybe it's because I am right

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

So......how old did you say you were again?
OH WAIT....you didn't!
And why is that?

HMMMMM.......

Because you aren't old enough to know your ass from a hole in the ground?

Were you abused as a child?

or maybe it's because I am right

Way to address the issue...I can see someone is desperate in a losing battle! Just because you can't be a good parent to your kid doesn't mean everyone else needs school drug tests, ok? End of story...as for my age, I could care less if you know how old I am. You are older than me, but obviously age does not equate to knowledge, or logic in this case. Keep on with your attitude, I'm sure your son will be pretty screwed up in years to come due to your parenting.

And what was your reason for no drug testing in schools? Wait, you didn't give one. Ok, you lost this battle, and yes, to someone younger than you, as if that makes any difference at all...your reasoning amazes me. Find a good argument, then join in the discussion. Until then, I suggest you find a good family counselor, you're going to need it.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This is a rediculous arguement.

If the schools do it, it will be the schools paying for it. This is again another waste of money placed on the school system because parents are lazy more often these days than in the past.

If parents feel the need to drug test their kids, then let them do it. The school is paid by government money and run as a government function.

This would entail that it is an extention of such and would make complete drug testing wrong regardless of parental consent or not.

I am a parent who is tired of lazy kids being raised by lazy parents. Get a grip, do your job, and stop letting society rule your house, schools, and your kids lives.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join