It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Restarts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Hey Guys,

Specs.

Dell Dimension 2400
XP SP2
D-Link DWL-G510 Wireless Card

Recently my girlfriends computer started restarting itself every couple of minutes. Then it started getting BSOD's. This was a while ago and I did look at the errors and it said something about driver problems or driver conflicts but I can't remember exactly.

At first I thought it might be temperature issues but when I checked them temperature was running normal temps. Opened up the computer was pretty dusty so I have it a clean. Still restarting/BSOD's.

Anyway I took it away, formatted and reinstalled Windows XP SP2. Was working fine at my house didn't restart. Took it back to her house installed the wireless card but it wouldn't show up in device manager. Just had the wireless card as Other Devices and this device is not installed. Clicked on re-install driver with the D-LINK CD in. It found the drivers and was installing when it suddenly restarted itself again.... and again.... and again.

I turned the computer off and let it wait a short period of time. Finally started up again without restarting but again wireless card wasn't showing up in device manager. Uninstalled the DLINK software and restarted.... reinstalled again. No wireless card but not restarting. Reinstalled drivers again turned off computer.

I then changed the slot it was installed in.... started computer up.... success wireless card found opened up the wireless connection software tried to connect to the network... and soon as I did this it restarted. Let it boot up again fine until I tried to connect to the wireless network.

Thought might be power issue so removed some devices (CD-RW drive, DVD drive and Floppy Drive) Still same issue. What else can I do?

Let me know if you need any more specs or anything.... don't have them on hand right now so will have to get them.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Could be a defective PCI slot, try moving it to a different one. It also sounds like a IRQ issue. You may want to see how many devices are sharing that same IRQ. Also, try and write down the blue screen error message and google it.

Another suggestion is to remove any startup applications that dont "need" to run. Start>RUN>msconfig - hit enter - go to startup tab and have a look through there. The less applications you have running on that list at startup, the better. If something looks a bit out of place just google the process name and you will usually find a definition. Good Luck!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by iCEdTenG

Clearly you know the problem.

It is the wireless card and or the slot it is in.

1) Try installing it in another free slot.
2) If you still get problems, return it and get another one-wireless card.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iCEdTenG

It's most likely a firmware issue... Check to see if the card is compatible with SP2 and if not see if there is a firmware update available at the manufacturers website...

Scan for spyware and virus'
Clean your registry...
As said above disable all programs in startup that aren't necessary...

If there is no upgrade for the card, check to see if there is a firmware update for your motherboard... It might be a compatibility issue that can be fixed with one or the other updates, plus they are good to keep updated anyway...

Or you can save yourself the trouble and buy a new card or return that one for a different one...

U2U if you need more help peace!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Pretty sure there is no spy ware or virus' on the computer it is a fresh install and hasn't been connected to the net yet. Also I haven't put any third party programs on at all.

Pretty sure there are no unnecessary programs at startup as it hasn't got hardly anything on it.

Tried a different PCI slot then is when it finally recognized the card but the restarts continued. Previously the card wouldn't show up at all.

I can't write down the BSOD message anymore as it isn't doing it with this fresh install.

Pretty sure card is compatible with SP2 as I had it running on there for 3 months with no problems.

Now with that cleared up the next step i am going to do is bring the card here and install it on my xp and vista machine to see if I can duplicate the problem here.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I had similar problems a while ago...really annoying when your half way through a movie or doing something in photoshop!

I removed most of the leads and cards inside the "pooter" and put them back and ensured all connections were good and clean. No problems since.

Maybe it's one of those miniscule things like a solder on the mainboard that just has to seperate a millionth of an inch to lose connection. Something that happens at an exact temperature.

good luck

[edit on 16/5/2008 by nerbot]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hey Guys

I've since fixed the issue thanks for all your suggestions and input. Turns out it was IRQ issue the wireless and ethernet cards were trying to use the same channel so I manually set it in the BIOS and works fine now. So thanks Boruma

top topics

join