It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency declared in Florida over blaze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

State of emergency declared in Florida over blaze

www.eitb24.com

Governor Charlie Crist declared a state of emergency Monday as dry, windy weather worsened conditions. His orders allow Florida to use federal funds and bring local emergency workers under state control. It also allows Florida to call on other states for help, if necessary.

Firefighters may get some help Tuesday, since winds on the coast were expected to slow to 10 to 15 mph (16 to 24 kph), according to the National Weather Service. Authorities said the fire at Malabar may be the result of arson. A witness saw someone in a car drop something into an open field, and the fire started shortly afterward, an arson investigator said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-5-2008 by depth om]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
"Firefighters in the town of Palm Bay have spent more than 48 hours battling the state's biggest blaze, which has damaged about 50 homes and scorched 3,500 acres (1,400 hectares), or about 5 1/2 square miles (14 square kilometers)."

I live in Melbourne Beach, Fl. on the barrier island across from Palm Bay. You could tell from the beach even that there was definitely a problem somewhere mainland, so much smoke billowing up like that. First thing my paranoid self though, was a G-provocatuer. More than likely, it was a non-goverment delinquent. Quite a jerk, seeing all these people lose everything..

The wind picked up in the period of one day, im talking gusting winds from serene weather, not even stormy out, just extremely windy.

I didn't see an article posted in search, and knowing ATS is the home of SOE discussion, here it is.

www.eitb24.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I live in Rockledge, FL, just north of Melbourne. I can see the smoke clouds off in the distance to the south and smell the smoky air around us. We just recently had a wildfire go off in my neighborhood in Viera which consumed only 60 acres. It was frightening because the flames literally looked like hell.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Ahh, memories!

I can still remember smoke rolling down Sample road from the Everglades. Seems every year the Glades would catch fire. Sometimes the smoke made it's way to Deerfield and Pompano beach.

I can sympathize although I still miss where I lived in South Florida.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
We could smell the smoke this morning in Broward. It's been so hot and dry here, it's very easy for this to get out of control, I hope it doesn't, but it does seem that we have fires every year now.

They're saying "arsonist" and if it is and they catch him, I hope they make an example of the idiot and give him the maximum penalties.

Unbelievable that someone would intentionally do this.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Where do you live?

I lived in Coral Springs for 16 years but had to relocate to Chicagoland due to a job. I really miss South Florida and plan to come back although I will probably settle in Port St. Lucie so I can go to Mets spring training. However, Coral Springs was great while I was there. My friends say it's starting to degrade and get over crowded. I miss University drive (restaurant row) as Chicagoland is weird. A taco bell/KFC every 100 yds and little else. I also miss the roadwork at night policy as here they seem to do everything during rush hour.

Ooops! I'm off subject! Sorry.

new topics

top topics

join