It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we looking for???...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
with the technological advancements mad by mankind in the last century or so, we have seen the discovery of the atom, then the electron, now subatomic particles. But the question is, how much further can we probe inside the sub atomic world and wont it be a hopeless blunder as everything is made out of something else....so basically there is no end to exploring miniscule distances and matter.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It's called nanite technology. We have'nt explored or contributed to that. (correct me if i'm wrong).

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think HP is working on some very basic nanite technology, doesnt say what they plan to do with it though.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
What merrit lies in our advancement? just because we can make a nuclear bomb should we? just because we can probe the atom, should we? human nature will only allow us to get so far before we use our new found knowledge to destroy ourselves.....civilization is a trial and error thing,,, i have been to the city of troy, walked thru the roman ruins... these people thought they were building something to last. i bet they never thought people would come to tour their demise. I just hope there will be something beside plastic trash to stand as a testiment of our greatness. it doesnt matter how far we get. how many atoms we probe our results will be the same. beside we are more likely to die of polution and environmental issues long before the nanotechnologies will clean up our mistakes....technology is an instinctive defence mechanisim built into humanity,so we can attempt to fix our mistakes, thus the more techs you see, in all actuality the further from the truth we have strayed

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
they still want to make holograms...telporatations devices...and cloning...i mean duh theyre still working on robotics so holos would be like something of our 4th generation grand children

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaypeth
What merrit lies in our advancement? just because we can make a nuclear bomb should we? just because we can probe the atom, should we? human nature will only allow us to get so far before we use our new found knowledge to destroy ourselves.....civilization is a trial and error thing,,, i have been to the city of troy, walked thru the roman ruins... these people thought they were building something to last. i bet they never thought people would come to tour their demise. I just hope there will be something beside plastic trash to stand as a testiment of our greatness. it doesnt matter how far we get. how many atoms we probe our results will be the same. beside we are more likely to die of polution and environmental issues long before the nanotechnologies will clean up our mistakes....technology is an instinctive defence mechanisim built into humanity,so we can attempt to fix our mistakes, thus the more techs you see, in all actuality the further from the truth we have strayed

Man thats exactly what i was talking about....how technology, no matter how much further we probe it, will never be able to save us from our selve destruction. People think that biotechnology will save u from deseases, for example, but what they dont realize is that economics behind it and corruption that underlies the foundation of our present society, will be a bigger problem that is undersestimated....HOw can we stop it or fix this problem???...

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Actually, through making atom bombs, we were able to better understand the power of single atoms, as well as ways to harness that power. It's a step. Now we are working on atomic power without the waste. Eventually it could lead to clean power.

Jaypeth, it's the attitude that you expressed that hinders scientific advancement. If everyone had that outlook, we would've just polluted our earth to a complete waste by the mid-70's.

There's alot of companies working on nano technology... not sure what the difference is between nano and nanite, other than my assumption that nanite is atom sized, instead of cell sized nano. Am I correct in my assumption?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Oh yeah, forgot... there has been alot of research into energies that don't even exist in this time realm, but are easily extractable to use to power our homes. Most of the research is done by individuals or small groups of individuals. If our governments would just give up on the nasty oil crap already and dump a bit of funding into this type of research, we could eliminate ALOT of problems (including war over liquified dinosaurs).

Also, in addition to energy not existing in our realms, there has been alot of research into the energy of vacuum... particularly vacuum between electron shells, and vacuum between atoms. Again, it has always been privatly funded, and not publicized for fear of oil companies bullying people around over it.

We could advance so much further, scientifically, if people weren't so greedy.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum

We could advance so much further, scientifically, if people weren't so greedy.

Easier said than done, doesn't look hopeful for the future...

A possible solution is more knowledge to the public, that way people know how their society is being run....but i guess this also easier said than done.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The problem is that, as I stated before, when someone tries to educate the public about stuff, companies and corporations who would be at a loss if the technology came out start bullying that individual/persons until they stop. It's been done before. Just do some extensive research on Mr. Tesla and it becomes quite obvious that he was 'shut up'.

As well, how many people are actually intrigued by Quantum sciences? Most people just want to go to Wal-Mart and buy stuff. They don't care how it works, just as long as it works. Take the 'Ionic Breeze' thing. When they advertise it, they make it sound technical to a layman. Think about this, concerning that advertising: how many people even know what an ion is or how it acts, or how they can use 'ionic action' (that cracks me up!) to clean the air? This brings me to the next problem: People will accept that a product uses 'ionic action'
to clean particulates from the air, but if you tried to tell the public that you could easily make a device to power their homes for 'free', they would never even believe you. It's just way too fantabulous (

join