It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Road-tax hike makes thousands of family cars almost worthless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Road-tax hike makes thousands of family cars almost worthless

driving.timesonline.co.uk

Tens of thousands of cars will become almost worthless as a result of the decision to raise road tax on older models with higher carbon dioxide emissions by up to £245 a year.

Many families will find that they cannot sell their cars even though they are in good working order and no more than seven years old.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Are you MAD now! You all should be this is OUTRAGEOUS!
This Government is finally out of control.
The GREED is sickning.
Its time for all of us to march in Washington and Kick the criminal out We really dont have a Government any more for WE THE PEOPLE.
Just venting, sorry for my Rant.

driving.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Just curious,

what good does it do to march on Washington about an issue that is taking place in the UK?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This is just an attempt to get older cars off the road.

I think that if you had reverse registration fees, then people would buy new cars on a more regular basis. This would stimulate the economy as well as getting older polluters off the road.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavlovsdog
Just curious,

what good does it do to march on Washington about an issue that is taking place in the UK?

Damn beat me to it.

Lets burn Washington and stop those tommy polliticians in their tracks.

God i love this place!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It is a great idea and a move in the right direction. Will probably encourage people to start looking towards the many alternatives which are gradually emerging.

I had this argument on a radio station in the uk with this presenter called Vanessa Feltz a couple of years ago in which I expressed an opinion on how i believed it would be better for people top do there weekly shop on bicycles. One woman rang in to the show about an hour later to scoff how she could never carry all the shopping she needs for one of her Jewish feasts on a bike. I never got to reply but if I did, i would have told her you can get trailers for bicycles which have more then enough room.

Course you always get those moaners who live miles from there local store. Well it’s a matter of time management and planning for them or maybe they should start thinking about cultivating there own food. Even still if they can’t afford it then they should move. It’s far better for the environment.

As for marching on Washington with enough momentum to make change. Huh as a whole you do not have the guts. Nor the will. You would all be slapped down and charged more. IMHO

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
As a moaner who lives miles from a local store ... I'd love to know how my one car can make such a dramatic difference to our little world. The increase in vehicle excise duty takes no account of how often I drive my car or the distance I cover.

As it is I drive a Volvo S80. A large saloon (sedan ?) ... it's 5 years old and so far has covered a not so earth shattering 23,000 miles. I picked Volvo because they last for years ... a 5 year Volvo is merely coming to the end of its adolescence. I don't use it to drive to work ... I get the bus instead. It's only ever used in the evening & weekends or the occasional drive up to the Scottish Highlands. This is only my third car in 24 years ... the other 2 were Volvos too & I expect to keep this one another ten years at least. 3 cars in 34 years ?

My friend does 3 cars every 6 years ... so who exactly is the friend of the environment ? That's what's so annoying about this tax increase. It doesn't take into account my own circumstances, consumer or driving habits. And I dislike it even more because it's retrospective ... sure introduce it on new car purchases ... at least you know what you're letting yourself in for ... but don't backdate it. That's totally unfair.

Think I'm going to scrap Maud just cos of a tax hike ? No chance. My last Volvo saved me from serious injury in a road crash a few years back. You can't put a price on that. I'll just join the other 2 million folks in the UK who dodge road tax ... and take my chances. No other option for it. I can't afford £450 in a one'r ... it's nearly half my monthly take home pay.

Can't pay, won't pay. Gordon Brown can kiss my butt. Washington DC here I come. In an ever so environmentally friendly 747.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hope mine isn't on that list.

It's a 2001 Mitsubishi.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Two points I don't understand about this added tax.

- Surely increasing the tax will result in more of these target cars being scrapped which is hardly enviro-friendly.

- If/ when this tax is introduced, why won't the Goverment use it for green purposes? Any additional tax should go toward the planting of trees/ renewable energy sources instead of being 'lost' in the system with no real gains for the environment.

new topics

top topics

join