It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and religion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I shall start by telling you of my experience as an atheist, and then move to the point.

As an Atheist, I have seen on a few occasions Atheists converting Atheists to religion.
Why? Because once in a while we find someone who has become an Atheist, who simply didn't develop the natural pack instinct of co-operation and moral decency.

As such, and I am guilty of this myself, other Atheists sometimes find it necessary to convert others to whatever religion is at hand at the time in order to keep their morals in check.

It's sad, but not everyone can think rationally for themselves... many have to be told what and how to think.

Looking back on this, got me thinking, and this is where the point comes in.
Were most religions created by fellow Atheists as a form of control?

I thought to myself; If I were in a time when technology wasn't around to assist in law enforcement, how would I keep those in check who cannot think rationally for themselves?
My answer is, I'd do exactly that, invent a form of control.
I'd create a fictional character, claim that if you disobey his rules you will suffer a fate worse than death. I'd tell them that this 'god' character can see you at all times, and that only myself and a few others know what he wants you to do.

To make people flock to it for answers, I'd likely tell everyone this 'god' character made everything... them, the earth, everything. And that you must have blind faith in this character, or face that consequence worse than death.

Seeing as I would have attempted this myself... what are the odds that most religions were also created by fellow atheists as a primitive form of law and order?

What would you do, if you were in a world without a control mechanism to maintain order?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
yep. just like computer viruses are created by anti-virus companies to sell their products. Creating the problem and selling the solution. That seems to be popular nowadays.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Seeing as I would have attempted this myself... what are the odds that most religions were also created by fellow atheists as a primitive form of law and order?

What would you do, if you were in a world without a control mechanism to maintain order?

I give high odds.

Me, I'd mediate as best I could, listen to my people and keep their best interest in mind. But those of lizard-heart are different. They are in control.

My question to you is, what are your thoughts about spirituality vs. religion and its dogma?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
My question to you is, what are your thoughts about spirituality vs. religion and its dogma?

Personally, I believe that if your beliefs are actually true, you would never have to create a religion around them.

Religions are there as a control body. To regulate what your beliefs are.

I certainly do not disagree with spirituality. The spiritualists tend to hold to their beliefs because they founded them themselves. Not because some man was paid to tell them what those beliefs are.

Religion itself is a very dangerous tool. It creates your reality for you, enforces it, takes your money, and can easily use you as a weapon for the organizations benefit.

Remember, priests are not god. They claim to relay the message of a god, but in the end, who can do that, and not be lying? Unless they're schizophrenic, or actually do hear a "god".

Ask yourself this... if you were being spoken to by a "god" and that "god" told you that the religious texts are wrong... do you really think the church would let you fix those religious texts? No. Of course not.

In the end, spirituality is freedom. Religion is just another form of control and slavery.

If you truly hold to your beliefs, you don't need a church to justify your prayers.

Me, I don't believe in a god at all. But religion is a rather handy tool for me to use, like a detention center for the mind, to get those who hold no natural moral instincts out of the way.
If you can think for yourself, and hold your own moral code, I welcome you as a fellow atheist.

new topics

top topics

join