It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did The Writers of the Bible Edit It?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ade1965x

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
at the coucil of constantinople and the council of nicea
in the respective 6th and 7th centuries
many things were deleted from the bible
one of them being reincarnation

Anly links to substantiate [sp] this claim?

Some Gnostics think that The Gospel of Mary speaks of Reincarnation.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
well a book the size of the bible i think they would have to have done alot of editing

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FieryIce1
TheCatalyst and Scat
Writers of the bible if you mean translators then it does seem that each denomination of religious church has their own version of the scriptures flavored to their own taste in dogma. That is why it is always smart to compare the different translations when researching.
Why wouldn�t our Creator want to test-drive a laptop? He does have a sense of humor look at the platypus and who is to say He doesn�t enjoy His creation like in the movie Dogma? Did He create us only to just watch and oversee us? I don�t think so. I bet He plays a mean game of chess.

first, i dont think he'd waste his time with laptops, he prolly thinks bill gates is ajerk, tryingt o take over the world and all

and yes, dogma is an excellent movie. he must have a sense of humor, look at the platypus. *apologies for offending any platypus equality activists, the comment was not meant to degrade any statues of the platypus

now to the topic-
editing of the bible

www.awitness.org...

The editorial process in the Bible is unlike anything we would recognize today as redaction. When ancient Greek historians gathered together variant stories and myths concerning their kings and gods, they merely presented the variant tales, sometimes without comment. When the priestly redactors combined the Biblical stories they did so with an obvious agenda. They wanted to leave the impression that the Biblical manuscripts were not composed of variant source materials, but rather came from a single source. When we keep in mind that the scribes and the priests were the final possessors of Biblical manuscripts, we can assume that the single source for the writings would be claimed to be God.

Now it would be far more convenient if no contradictory scripture existed, but even though scriptures cannot be disposed of, they can be nullified or ignored. They can be �nullified' through the process of redaction, (by trying to hide them during the editorial process) and they can be nullified in usage. When confronted with the first chapter of Judges, I have found that certain preachers simply do a quick hop over this chapter, and then dive into chapter two, where the Joshua narrative resumes (only to break off once again before the end of the chapter.)

neat

-madlove

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
the koran syas that the works of jesus have been lost and the bible was made by paul.

How can the bible be made by paul when the jews had most of the bible before paul was alive.

Paul wrote a good bit of the New testiment. How ever pretty much all the rest of the new testiment was written after paul had died (or was kept in captivity). How could paul edit it if he wasnt around to edit it!

The only editing he could do was on his already written work
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the details on how the bible was formed have all ready been mentioned.

The old testiment was written by a huge range of authors over a huge range in time written all over the "known" world however all seem to fit perfectly without contradiction. Evidence for the claim by the bible that it was written by the inspiration of god apon the authors. Even untill jesus's time the whole old testiment hadnt been put together and there where many other books out there (apocriapha) However

The new testiment was collected at the same time as the old tesiment was collected into one. These books and letters were selected not to fit with the christian faith but to create a short reliable account of the gospel and the early church teachings, though false books by false teachers had to be expelled. Many of pauls other letters were not included not because they contradicted but because they didnot need to be entered there wasnt anything of value in them that wasnt in other books.

Around this time the old testiment and appocriapha were sorta seperated later to be disgarded by the great reform. The appocriapha are seen to be books of wisdom or great stories of God however not seen to be "inspired" by god.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
a sin in whose commandments??

looks like they were smart and also took out the "dont screw with my freckin bible" commandment, i knew there were 11!

Rev 22:18-19
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Is that what you were looking for?

ET3

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If I was a professor grading these posts, two would get C's and the rest asked not to come back to class.

Minds like steel traps, mangling everything that gets into them, may be an excuse for some, but fortunately the bloodguilt mentioned in the scripture doesn�t apply to �dumb�.

Try any Bible Society source for some good input on this topic.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
For anybody that will like to know a little bit about "How the bible became what it is" I will give you a book to read it is call THE BOOK YOUR CHURCH DOESN,T WANT YOU TO READ, by Tim C. Leedom (Editor) and another book call 101 MYTHS OF THE BIBLE by Gary Greenberb. The first book exposes the challenges and misrepresentations of old bible beliefs and the second book takes you on the first testament and the most used entries in the bible and showed how similar in comparizon with ancient myths of lost civilizations older than the bilbe itself. If you really interested in founding out you have to get away from the bible itself and find other sources like this books.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ET3

If I was a professor grading these posts, two would get C's and the rest asked not to come back to class.

Minds like steel traps, mangling everything that gets into them, may be an excuse for some, but fortunately the bloodguilt mentioned in the scripture doesn�t apply to �dumb�.

Try any Bible Society source for some good input on this topic.

Nobody's asking you to grade our posts, even though there is a ranking system.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Salaams All,

There was always something i needed to ask, is that which Gospel is the real Gospel, The Gospel According to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John or The Gospel that Jesus(pbuh) tought when he healed people?
The Gospel cant be when he was born up till he rose to God!
I believe the Real Gospel might be lost, or is inside the Gospel According to those Historians!

Guerilla

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think everyone is aware just how much the New Testament has been tampered with. What they don't seem to be aware of is how much more the Old Testament was altered.

You have to remember that the OT was compiled during and after the time that Israel was at war with Judah and it's neighbours. There are many pieces in there that are just sheer propaganda against Israel's enemies. As Israel finally beat Judah and united the tribes under Solomon, it was they who got to compile the OT. The first five books of the OT itself, may have been around in verbal form and maybe some written sources but it wasn't actually compiled until the time of Solomon when it was claimed to be found in the Temple.
When you look at the early prophesies in detail, you can see where they have fitted history around them to make them seem as if they came true. Unfortunately, the early compilers had a bad grasp of history and geography and you don't need to look too hard to see what they have changed. I find it helpful to compare the history of the more established civilisations which dealt with Israel. Their written records are generally far more reliable and help to give a clearer picture of what really went on back then.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
For anybody that will like to know a little bit about "How the bible became what it is" I will give you a book to read it is call THE BOOK YOUR CHURCH DOESN,T WANT YOU TO READ, by Tim C. Leedom (Editor) and another book call 101 MYTHS OF THE BIBLE by Gary Greenberb. The first book exposes the challenges and misrepresentations of old bible beliefs and the second book takes you on the first testament and the most used entries in the bible and showed how similar in comparizon with ancient myths of lost civilizations older than the bilbe itself. If you really interested in founding out you have to get away from the bible itself and find other sources like this books.

And the two people that wrote these books, where did they get there info, because how do we know myth hasn't changed over the years, I don't think those two people have been living that long.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If I say I'm an expert on this topic, you'll have to take my word for it.

The first five books of the Bible, the Torah (or Pentateuch, as the Greeks called them), according to Jews, were dictated to Moses by God.

Since the original Torah was written, all copies thereafter were required to be written exactly the same in Hebrew, the original language of Man. This means that every Hebrew character must be written in the same place beneath, atop, or alongside each original character. There have been no changes in the Hebrew version.

It is true that, other than the King James version - the most accurate translation into English - that many versions of the Bible have circulated.

The poetry of the Bible still remains, most notably in Psalms of the Old Testament. However, much of the writing is poetic in nature and that fact is a reason that many people believe that the Bible was once poetry. To most people, this means that the words once rhymed.

Some interesting stories, relating mostly to the Bible Code and The End of Days, may be found at the website, www.onealclan.com

top topics

<< 1   >>

join