It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did The Writers of the Bible Edit It?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have heard that the Bible originally contained poems, and some of the stories that are now contained in the Bible. I was wondering, or more like speculating on what you guys think about this issue. Do you think that the writers of the Bible could have possilby changed the Bible around to fit to their beliefs? *rhetorical question* I was also curious if anyone knows if there is a version of the Bible that has the poems in it? This might be a little confusing but I am just curious.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Yes, I guess you could say it was edited. Before the bible was put together there was a meeting between people( i'm not sure who) and they decided which books would go into the bible. And as a result of that there were about 20 books or so of the bible left out. My friend told me these books could have contained information on reincarnation and a bunch of other stuff that you wouldn't ever think of being in the bible.
www.bibleufo.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
ha,ha,ha,,,oh no they wouldnt do that. I mean if they did people might know that the bible is plagerized from other sources.
Adam and eve might be found out to be from Babylonian stories. The flood story from about 400 previous flood stories. People might find out that Moses is fashioned from the Syrian MIses. What if people knew that Moses commandments were just stolen from the Egyptian book of law(6 out of 10 exact)Hammurabi's code.
Oh no they would not change things, I mean why would they? What could there possibly be to gain from changing things.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Edited in what way?

The origins of the Hebrew Bible, though contestable, are:

* Oral transfer; word of mouth passed on to next generation.

* Eventually written down, mostly in Hebrew, some in Aramaic, in manuscript form.

* The Hebrew Old Testament (TaNaK: Torah, Neviim, Kethubim, and Apocrypha) was eventually translated into Greek and the Septuagint (LXX) came into existence in or around 250 BCE/BC. This was the 'Bible' that the Christians used during this time.

* In 385 AD, the Vulgate came into existence, which was the Latin translation of the Old Testament.
Later, Jerome, a Roman Catholic monk, translated both the Old and New Testaments into Latin, which became the standard for the Roman Catholic Church. This was translated from the Sepuagint (LXX) and eventually included the "hidden books" or Apocrypha, which eventually became part of the Roman Catholic Bible.

* The Protestant Reformation, in the 1500's (Luther), translated thier Bible from the Hebrew texts and does not include the "hidden books" or Apocrypha.

"An Introduction to the Bible: A Journey Into Three Worlds"
5th edition
by Christian E. Hauer and William A. Young

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Excellent job there Seekerof...

So, yes, it's been completely edited, even rewritten, throughout it's inception...

The current version says it all...King James Version, resulting from the desired editing by King James, in order to divorce his wife, if I'm not in error....

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well, I ment edited to fit let's say the Church's view points and not the TRUE meaning of the Bible, which is to teach us lessons, etc. through poems and stories. I am not Christian, nor do I belong to any religion, I am spiritual.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
the koran syas that the works of jesus have been lost and the bible was made by paul.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
you mean that evil man names paul???

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCatalyst
I have heard that the Bible originally contained poems, and some of the stories that are now contained in the Bible. I was wondering, or more like speculating on what you guys think about this issue. Do you think that the writers of the Bible could have possilby changed the Bible around to fit to their beliefs? *rhetorical question* I was also curious if anyone knows if there is a version of the Bible that has the poems in it? This might be a little confusing but I am just curious.

very interesting question, but I think it had to be changed
think about it--if you had thousands of pages to write, wouldn't you edit it to make it shorter and less of a workload? I know I would. I also think it could have been edited to fit the beliefs of the people writing it, also if I was one of the first writers (when I say this, I mean the monks that would have to rewrite the bible all day so it could be sold to the followers) and I saw something I didn't like, I would definately change it. So, basically chances are that it was indeed altered

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!

the bible has been edited SO much its unbelievable.

most likely HUNDRED of books were taken out of the Vaticans final draft.

there were actually 2 revelations. one oh john, one of paul.

only one was put in however, because the other gave away too much on someones actual beliefs.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
the koran syas that the works of jesus have been lost and the bible was made by paul.

And your point being???

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
well its not like god sat down at his laptop, typed up the bible, and fedexed it to the disciples, now did he?

unless that dove flying over them was actually a carrier pigeon.....

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
well its not like god sat down at his laptop, typed up the bible, and fedexed it to the disciples, now did he?

unless that dove flying over them was actually a carrier pigeon.....

I'm talking about people editing the Bible for personal preference, which is a sin.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a sin in whose commandments??

looks like they were smart and also took out the "dont screw with my freckin bible" commandment, i knew there were 11!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
obviously it has been edited many times since the first version. not only are there many versions in circulation presently, but looking from version to version, you can see many similarities, and distinct little differences. i would like to know how the first one was written. did some guy narrate it to another guy using two magic stones and an old hat?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
TheCatalyst and Scat
Writers of the bible if you mean translators then it does seem that each denomination of religious church has their own version of the scriptures flavored to their own taste in dogma. That is why it is always smart to compare the different translations when researching.
Why wouldn�t our Creator want to test-drive a laptop? He does have a sense of humor look at the platypus and who is to say He doesn�t enjoy His creation like in the movie Dogma? Did He create us only to just watch and oversee us? I don�t think so. I bet He plays a mean game of chess.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCatalyst
Well, I ment edited to fit let's say the Church's view points and not the TRUE meaning of the Bible, which is to teach us lessons, etc. through poems and stories. I am not Christian, nor do I belong to any religion, I am spiritual.

Yes, frequently, even in modern times.

The original book (to expand on what Seekerof said) was actually compiled over a period of 120 years or so, during which there were a lot of meetings and a lot of arguments and some excommunications and fights over what went in and what should be left out.

After St. Jerome translated the Bible into Latin (the Vulgate) there was another translation (the Douay) which was still in Latin (and there are, by the way, differences in the Christian Old Testament and the Torah of the Jews... a few phrases changed here and there.)

The next major revision was when Martin Luther (founder of the Protestants) came through and retranslated the Bible and left books he didn't like out of it (which is why the older Catholic Bible has books that aren't in the newer Protestant Bible.)

Many of the newer "bring them to Jesus" Bibles leave out most of the Old Testament (except Psalms and Genesis) and keep most of the New Testament.

Then there's various editings and translations of the King James version and some versions that went back to original source manuscripts (St. Jerome and earlier) and retranslated that.

...and there's no doubt that the folks who translated the King James Bible into English from Latin *also* edited some of the stuff to conform to the beliefs of their time. One striking example is "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." As you can tell from all the blue-letter versions of the Bible, the original word is "poisoner" but the King James version was translated during the great witch hunts of Europe when they were trying to "drive evil" out of the land and there were "witch finders" everywhere. What was more natural than to change that to "witch" and use it as a source to justify their killing people?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
at the coucil of constantinople and the council of nicea
in the respective 6th and 7th centuries
many things were deleted from the bible
one of them being reincarnation

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The Council of Nicea-
www.columbia.edu...

If you would like to read what we know of the books that were cut, then the apocrypha is what you want.

New Testament apocrypha:
www.earlychristianwritings.com...

Old Testament apocrypha:
wesley.nnu.edu...

There is currently alot of controversy over the Gospels of Thomas and Mary..

Good luck on your journey.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by GanjaGoddess]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
at the coucil of constantinople and the council of nicea
in the respective 6th and 7th centuries
many things were deleted from the bible
one of them being reincarnation

Anly links to substantiate [sp] this claim?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join