It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Global Food Crisis as a Cause for OWG

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The next evolution in world government may very well be a result of the global food crisis. According to the United Nations President of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), Léo Mérorès of Haiti:

"The rapidly escalating crisis of food availability around the world has reached emergency proportions"

This echoes the sentiments of Ban Ki-Moon. Public protests and tensions have already broken out in many countries, including Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Egypt, Senegal, Morocco and Haiti, because of the surging cost of living.

In a speech by the World Bank Group President Robert B. Zoellick:

• Since 2005, the prices of food staples have jumped 80%. The price of rice hit a 19-year high. The price of wheat rose to a 28-year high (almost twice the average price of the last 25 years).

• 33 Countries face "potential social unrest" (aka riots), because of such a sharp spike in food and energy prices. There is no margin for survival in countries where food comprises from half to three quarters of consumption.

• High, unstable food prices will be with us for years to come.

According to the BBC, in Asia the wholesale price of rice, a staple product for more than 2.5 billion people across the continent, has more than doubled in the past three months, while global supplies have fallen to a thirty-year low.

In 2008 alone, food riots and demonstrations have already broken out in Haiti, Italy, Mexico, India, the Philippines, Morocco, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Guinea, Mauritania, Senegal, Indonesia, and all over Africa, most notably Eritrea and Zimbabwe.

Dozens of countries are implementing price controls, export bans and tariffs, stockpiling, and rationing.

Even "food-rich" nations like the United States, whose poorest 20% of households typically paid 16% or less of their budget on food, are not immune from this effect.

Source: The Guardian

The last time America's grain silos were so empty was in the early seventies, when the Soviet Union bought much of the harvest. Washington is telling the World Food Programme it is facing a 40% increase in food commodity prices compared with last year, and higher fuel bills to transport it, so the US, the biggest single food aid contributor, will radically cut the amount it gives away.

Considering the U.S. has, up until recently, been responsible for over 70% of the World Food Exports, this poses a very grim picture in the face of repeated worldwide demands for U.S. food exports to close the gap. In the face of trying to feed their own population, the United States may find itself increasingly targeted by starving nations, until eventually it cannot even manage to feed itself.

The "silver bullet" mindset will not produce an answer to this global crisis, and make no mistake, it is absolutely a current, real crisis. Zoellick proposes a "New Deal for Global Food Policy" to solve the problem.

We need a New Deal for Global Food Policy. This New Deal should focus not only on hunger and malnutrition, access to food and its supply, but also the interconnections with energy, yields, climate change, investment, the marginalization of women and others, and economic resiliency and growth.

While it sounds good on paper, what this effectively translates to is the removal of sovereign powers for participatory nations in regards to their own food supply. The potential being that not only could the U.N. enforce minimum quota food production in America, but reallocate it as it sees fit, deny countries that do not meet its criteria, and take control of resources to ensure that this happens. Perhaps nations non-member nations, or non-participating nations find themselves the target of a hungry collective that needs their land for food. And why not? Historically and presently, food, water, and arable land have been the causes for many wars.

This could be an extreme scenario as to the possibilities of this New Deal being implemented, or it could be the most likely one. We have entered into an uncertain age: the global climate is changing, the demands for food and water have outstripped supply, population is no longer at a sustainable limit, the balance of world power is shifting towards a totalitarian state. In the face of starvation, most people would agree to anything in order to eat.

Before the 1770's, the idea of a Democratic Republic was unthinkable until it was forced into being as a response to a failure of the Monarchy to govern responsibly. Today we face a multi-continental failure by individual nations to govern the food crisis responsibly. It is entirely possible that a Global Government (ie. OWG, NWO, etc) will arise, not as a conspiracy by the secret societies, but as a natural response to the need for a more globally responsible handling of population and food supply.

• posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:23 PM
    link   
    I wonder what will happen in ten or twenty years when the global population is even bigger?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:28 PM
    link   

Originally posted by gemlin
    I wonder what will happen in ten or twenty years when the global population is even bigger?

Most likely, mass-starvation and global warfare. We are already above the sustainable population limit in the United States by about 30%. In some nations, such as Zimbabwe, they are above the sustainable population limit by as much as 90%.

What few areas don't undergo warfare and mass starvation will likely undergo some form of agricultural encroachment, hiding their food capabilities from the rest of the world so as not to provoke attacks and demands.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:45 PM
    link   
    It would definitely be easy to use social unrest and food shortages to implement a NWO type environment. When people are starving and dying, they won't care who is in charge as long as those in charge can provide them with the basic needs. However if people react the way I think they will react (by setting up small self sufficient communities) government won't matter at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:06 AM
    link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
    It would definitely be easy to use social unrest and food shortages to implement a NWO type environment. When people are starving and dying, they won't care who is in charge as long as those in charge can provide them with the basic needs. However if people react the way I think they will react (by setting up small self sufficient communities) government won't matter at all.

until they come and seize all your crops in a Soviet Russia style system x[

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:17 AM
    link   
    I for one have no problem doing away with the nation state and having one world government... there are so many problems facing us a a species that it is foolish to leave up to a piecemeal approach where each government does or does not do its part.

What I do have a problem with is one world government based on a corporate states... thats worse than nation states.

What we need in a system based on co-operation and interdependence because like it or not we are.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:40 AM
    link   
    Think population reduction. This has been on the UN agenda for a very long time. They call it Sustainable Development.
    Mass starvation is the perfect situation to mandate mass sterilization and masss euthanization of the infirm and retarded as well as many who are in prision.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:18 PM
    link   
    Excellent post thelibra, Flag+Star

This definitely fits into the problem-reaction-solution model. Create a global food/energy/financial crisis, and the people will demand a OWG to take control

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:31 PM
    link   
    reply to post by thelibra

Well that we are heading for a major economic revolution is true, due to the way our nation economic woes are spilled globally.

Affecting almost every country that US has business with or do business with us.

We are having wars for energy resources and the traditional farming that supplies the world is been replaced for crops to feed the new money making adventure in the bio-fuels.

This is leaving many countries around the world scrambling for grains that now they can not even afford as the grains been grown are becoming expensive.

Is this is a NWO plan then is linked to profit and manipulations and humanity for this elites means nothing.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:38 PM
    link   
    reply to post by marg6043

I really don't see anything like that happening. The crisis, actually any crisis would have to get to the point of causing a planet wide systemic breakdown for the various governments to relinquish their soverignity to the UN or any other global body. Besides that the global corporations profit far more from playing one nation off of the other than it ever would from a unified world... unless of course they, not the UN or nations were running it.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:29 PM
    link   
    I think we need to sit back and watch how this all unfolds.
    imo I beleve something is going on the once plenty rice I saw in the chow hall is all but gone the world seams to be at some wierd impass.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 02:49 PM
    link   
    It looks like it's time for the scientific community to make a concerted effort towards achieving Stephen Hawking's plan of searching for other habitable planets, since we're obviously outgrowing our own...

If some of the people on ATS are right, maybe the technology already exists. Maybe Earth 2 has already been found. Maybe the crops are planted there already!

Wouldn't that be something... a conspiracy theory with a positive slant!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 02:52 PM
    link   
    grover

That is my point also. The global corporations profit more from playing one nation of the others, because when it comes to economy control and the markets they already control that.

Is more profits to be make from speculations and warmongering, than anything else.

But as with everything how many more wars can be wagged and how more speculations can be made without causing a revolution brought by any nations citizens to spiral into a global crisis.

[edit on 27-4-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    link   

Originally posted by gemlin

We accidentally destroy the sustainable environment while trying to dominate it and we eventually all die out.

[edit on 27-4-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:01 AM
    link   
    reply to post by marg6043

In the long run however Marg, they really don't control anything at all and never will... they can maniulipate all they want but the two things that will forever be beyond their grasp is raw nature... and the human mind.

As for raw nature... no matter how they genetically modify crops to patent them etc... the natural world will devise one way or the other to eat/infect/infest and/or destroy them... its what nature does and the corporate approach as a result is really nothing more than a house of cards... it will come crashing down, the question is how many people will it take with it when it does.

As for the human mind... when things are good we go along with the currents... when things go bad we begin to think for ourselves and that more often than not doesn't involve the standard way of doing things... if I make myself clear.... in an evolutionary sense, stress by necessity forces life forms, animals, plants, humans into new ways of doing things.

The current problems facing humanity are rapidly reaching a level of stress that we have not seen in a long time if ever. The level of social interdependence has never been so strong before, and at the same time the environment hasn't been under such stress since the last ice age... if not longer... in this I mean planet wide... these two interact in potentially very dangerous ways... whole fisheries are collapsing, monocultures theaten the food supply by their very existance, and with global warming, it may reach the point where it becomes increasingly difficult to grow crops at all if the droughts continue.

In short we are going to be backed into a corner where we either change the way we live on this planet or face a massive population decline. The answers are multiple... some hi tech, some low tech, but we have to make those changes yesterday... and it has not happened yet.

Personally I grow only heirloom crops... if I can help it Monsantos and ADM aren't getting their grubby little paws on my food sources.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:46 PM
    link   

Originally posted by gareth1988

Originally posted by worldwatcher

until they come and seize all your crops in a Soviet Russia style system x[

Not as easy as you think, we got guns to.

When your fighting for your family's survival you will do anything.

new topics

top topics

join