It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.4 Magnitude Earthquake hits West Salem, IL

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   

5.4 Magnitude Earthquake hits West Salem, IL

news.yahoo.com

WEST SALEM, Ill. - A 5.4 magnitude earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people up to 450 miles away early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-4-2008 by indierockalien]

[edit on 18-4-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Earth Changes, anyone?

These little tremors have been happening several times within the past few years around the IL/midwest area. I believe we stand on one of the biggest fault lines in the country, possibly rivaling the San Anreas. I could be wrong, but YIKES!

I'm a bit startled by this!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I live in Louisville, KY (about 143 miles east of the epicenter). We felt is here for sure! I was in my bedroom getting ready for work when I heard the rumbling then started to feel it. Scared the holy heck out of my wife and my cat went bonkers, my 4 year old on the other hand... not a peep (a nuke blast in the front yard would not wake him up though
).
I am 35 and can only remember one other temblor and that was when I was in about 4th or 5th grade and it was NOT that intense.
Not much damage reported here thus far, a brick facade fell off a 4 story building downtown but no injuries.

I hope this is just the New Madrid releasing some pressure and not a harbinger of a "biggie".

Obs out

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

Indie,
The New Madrid is one of the biggest fault lines on Earth. If she blows everyone from St. Louis to Chicago to Louisville and Indianapolis will be in trouble.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I tried to post this story but my internet CNXN crapped out. OP you should fix your spelling in the title so people can find this thread.

I was just looking at the USGS 2008 US Earthquake map and was amazed at the severity of the risk around St. Louis. The map link was on the USGS frontpage but its not available du to high traffic I suppose.

This Illinois quake was down towards that area but I have to try to find the maps.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
How ironic just answering a post about big quake that was supposed to hit Los Angeles area,I made a comment regard big quake in New Madrid fault area,would that make me psychic or perhaps psycho lol,some people I know think the latter

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Speeling feexed, my freends!

Yeah man, I'm really really surprised by this. I thought it was just my imagination or something. I barely noticed it.

But yeah we're all okay around Chicago. The Sears Tower is looking good and no leaning. My shingles have not been shaken loose. My cat.... does not exist.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Sorry about this, but this is technically a duplicate news thread.

The First thread
5.4-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Illinois posted on 4/18/2008 @ 05:51 AM

Your thread was posted on 4/18/2008 @ 06:41 AM

The top one beat you by just under an hour. I'll go ahead and move this thread.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

n the winter of 1811-12, the central Mississippi Valley was struck by three of the most powerful earthquakes in U.S. history. Even today, this region has more earthquakes than any other part of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains.
from USGS

Most people don't think about locations other than the west coast. There was a good documentary on these quakes that I saw about a year ago.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Huh.... well darn. I am tired. I must have missed it cuz I did a brief search of recent topics, and it must have eluded me. Sorry to all the folks.

You can close this thread if you wish.

But my cat that doesn't exist.... is actually a dog that thinks it's a cat. I should rename my dog Imaginary Cat Friend.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yeah Im in Ohio and we felt it all the way here and if Im right around 90or 91 I was living in KY and we had a tremor then and they were talking about how the midwest is right on one of the bigest fault lines ?? I d have to look that up but yeah they felt it all the way down to cincinati so it was a good sized one !! good post!!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
We felt it here in Michigan, too. The house trembled and some of the furniture rattled. Nothing broken though.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i must've been in a hardcore deep sleep... i am in central IL and didn't feel a thing, lol... kind of hard to believe... i remember when i was in high school (early 90s) they were talking about a big quake happening on the new madrid fault...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Here in SW michigan I think I was in the shower the dog was acting wierd all night though. Another guy at work said his dogs were acting wierd all night too. Mine was panting and pacing the house from about 1AM on.

mikell

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
i think it just happened again! i felt it this time; lasted for about 5 seconds... wtf!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I live about 60 miles west of chicago. That being said I didnt feel a darn thing! People at work said they felt it. I must have been really deep in my sleep. Could explain why my neck hurts today, but how weird something this big and I didnt wake up.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
4.5 aftershock occurred around 15-20 minutes ago. We will be alright if they stay small like these two jolts.

North America Region

[edit on 18-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

[edit on 18-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here's a link to my recent posts over on the Quake Watch 2008 thread...
... scroll down to the bottom and back up 4 posts to the one "posted on 4/18/2008 @ 04:09 AM"

RabbitChaser

I have 8 quakes listed in that post alone 5.1-5.5 in a twenty four hour period... and then the one hit in IL, 2 hours later. Pretty crazy it seems to me, all put together like that. Coupled with heliosprime's initial notation of the actual number of quakes listed on the map as being normally 160-200... where on my last post it's at 230 I believe.

Hang on

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
4.5 aftershock occurred around 15-20 minutes ago.

well good, at least i didn't imagine it... i've never been in an earthquake or felt a tremor before... altho it wasn't that bad it's still kind of freaky for that to be happening here... hopefully it won't get any worse...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Hi there is a post on this site that gives a picture of the madrid Fault map from 1811-1812.

I did load it into my file here above.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join