It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Fifth-Generation Fighter Development Agreement Between Russia And... Brazil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Russia and Brazil have inked an agreement to jointly develop G5 fighter jets and boosters that will place into orbit different types of satellites.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

Well, this is interesting. Very little information on the aircraft in question, but the term "develop" implies to me that this is not PAK-FA (whose design is supposed to be finalized). What do the experts think? Is this just Brazil signing onto the PAK-FA agreements, or is it a new 5th Generation? What would the effects of Russia selling PAK-FA designs or aircraft be on the trade status of the F-22? Do you think Russia can manage two 5th-Generation aircraft development programs simultaneously?

More information as it becomes available.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Perhaps its not a seperate new project. Maybe the agreement between Brazil and Russia is manufacturing. The agreement might have Brazil produce components that would go into the new Russian G5 fighter, PAK-FA.

On the otherhand, the Brazillian-Russian project could be for a new G5 project which meets certain requirements that the PAK-FA doesn't. Since the PAK-FA is an air superiority aircraft, this new Brazillian-Russian project might be for a G5 CAS (Close Air Support) aircraft.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by guppy]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Not terribly surprising. The US is unlikely to export a 5th or 6th gen aircraft to Brazil, and Brazil has always had it's eye to the sky so to speak. They have traditionally sought to meet service requirements from indigenous aircraft when possible, and are always eager to partner with anyone willing on future aircraft projects. There were even plans to use AEB facilities for NASA launches years ago.
It will be interesting to see how the story/project develops.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I would say somewhere between the two options.

Just like the Sukhoi SU30MKI was developed with India, this may be a PAK-FA which is being modified to suit the needs of Brazil.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkpr0

Given that Brazil has just announced a huge oil find, I think I'd be getting a little twitchy about defence options, too.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Brazil is huge. So you want a large ranged plane to begin with.
Which makes a Flanker type aircraft more attractive. The US wont give them the F22 and the F35 is too short ranged.

So this can mean this: Russia will develop their next "Flanker" with brazil and not with india or the Pakfa is already suitable for this.... Either way i think that Brazil will get quite a top end fighter here....

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Brazil is going to participate in the programme to develop an advanced combat plane, the PAK-FA T-50, that will be built by the Russian Sukhoi firm.

A cheaper model, the F-35 Lightning, which costs 135m dollars, is in the certification phase. Minister of Defence Nelson Jobim was able to watch a demonstration of that fighter during his visit to the United States, but the aircraft was ruled out because no technology transfer was offered with it.

Source

Not only are the Russians selling PAK-FA, they're giving out the technology that comes with it. What kind of mischief does this spell for the American refusal to sell the F-22 or release technological information for its systems?

[edit on 4/17/2008 by Darkpr0]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkpr0

If this is the case i suppose the US may offer a dumbed down version maybe later down the track.
Interesting development though.
Maybe Russia to force US hand

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Brazil's got big plans.
I read bits and pieces about nuclear powered subs and all.
Then there's this potential arms race with Venezuela?
Now I'm interested on how the interaction will be between the Russians, Indians and the Brazilians on this.

top topics

join