It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Of Gods.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Having recently re-read the Bible one question kept emerging in the darkness of my brain;Who are/were the "gods" that are mentioned?

Before i begin an important matter needs to be cleared up.
Idolatry does not mean false idols or gods!
The meaning of the word has been greatly influenced overtime by various Christian faiths,yet nowhere in the Bible will you find other gods or idols described as false.
The word idolatry doesn't actually appear in any of the early Jewish scriptures and only appears in letters of Paul and Peter and in Revelation.

The word idolatry comes from the Greek word eidololatria, which is a compound of eidolon, "image" or "figure", and latreia, "worship". Although the Greek appears to be a loan translation of the Hebrew phrase avodat elilim, which is attested in rabbinic literature (e.g., bChul., 13b, Bar.), the Greek term itself is not found in the Septuagint, Philo, Josephus, or in other Hellenistic Jewish writings. The term is also lacking in Greek pagan literature. In the New Testament, the Greek word is found only in the letters of Paul, 1 Peter, and Revelation, where it has a derogatory meaning. There are many Hebrew terms for idolatry such as avodah zarah, "foreign worship", and avodat kochavim umazalot, "worship of planets and constellations".

www.websters-online-dictionary.org...

Right,onwards.

Some of the Gods mentioned are named,such as those listed below;

Adrammelech./II Kings 17:31./Sepharvite God.
Anammelech./II Kings 17:31./Sepharvite God.
Ashima./II Kings 17:30./Samaritan Moon Goddess.
Ashtoreth./I Kings 11:05./Canaanite Goddess.
Baal./I Kings 18:19./Canaanite God of fertility,vegitation and storms.
Baal-berith./Judges 8:33./A regional variation/aspect of Baal.
Baal-peor./Numbers 25:03./Moabite regional variation/aspect of Baal.
Baal-zebub./Luke 11:19./Philistine/Ekronian regional variation/aspect of Baal.
Baalim./I Kings 18:18./Canaanite Gods ("Lords"), a collective of the different aspects of Baa.
Bel./Isiah 46:01./Assyrian/Babylonian/Sumerian God.
Chemosh./I Kings 11:07./Moabite war God.
Dagon./I Samuel 05:02./Philistine/Ekronian/Babylonian God of agriculture.
Diana of the Ephesians./Acts 19:35./Ephesian moon and nature Goddess.
Jupiter./Acts 14:12./Roman God.
Lucifer./Isiah 14:12./Roman God.
Mercurius./Acts 14:12./Otherwise known as the Roman God Mercury,God of communication and travel,and messenger of the Gods...which is probably why Paul was called this at Lystra.
Milcom./I Kings 11:05./Ammonite God
Molech./I Kings 11:07./Ammonite God,also called Moloch.
Nebo./Isiah 46:01./Assyrian/Babylonian/Chaldean God of wisdom and writing,also called Nabu.
Nergal./II Kings 17:30./Cuth/Assyrian/Babylonian war and underworld God, also called Meshlamthea.
Nibhaz./II Kings 17:31./Avites God.
Nisroch./II Kings 19:37./Assyrian God.
Rimmon./II Kings 05:18./Babylonian/Syrian storm God involved with the Deluge,according to Hebrew texts;also known as Ramman/Rammon.
Succoth-benoth./II Kings 17:30./Babylonian fertility Goddess,also known as
Zarpanitu/Zerpanitum.
Tammuz./Ezekial 8:14./Assyrian/Babylonian God.
Tartak./II Kings 17:31./Avites God.

(a more detailed account can be found here; www.palmyria.co.uk... )

Other verses just group Gods together.(all quotes from KJV)

Exodus 20:3/Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exodus 34:14-17/14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.
17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

Numbers 25:2/And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.

Deuteronomy 6:14/Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you.

Deuteronomy 8:19/And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.

Deuteronomy 10:17/For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

Deuteronomy 12:2-3/2 Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree:3 And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.

Deuteronomy 17:3/And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded.

Deuteronomy 28:14#64/14 And thou shalt not go aside from any of the words which I command thee this day, to the right hand, or to the left, to go after other gods to serve them.#64 And the LORD shall scatter thee among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; and there thou shalt serve other gods, which neither thou nor thy fathers have known, even wood and stone.

Deuteronomy 29:26/For they went and served other gods, and worshipped them, gods whom they knew not, and whom he had not given unto them.

Judges 2:17/And yet they would not hearken unto their judges, but they went a whoring after other gods, and bowed themselves unto them: they turned quickly out of the way which their fathers walked in, obeying the commandments of the LORD; but they did not so.

Jeremiah 25:6/And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.

1 Corinthians 8:4-6/4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but on5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Such verse make it obvious that there was/is other gods,and you can't get much clearer than Deuteronomy 10:17.For the LORD your God is God of gods

Its also clear that God Almighty knows that there are other gods,but he is superior as stated in Isaiah 44:8.There is no god who is worthy beside God Almighty.And if he created everything it makes sence that he would know there are other gods and it would also explain why they're not described as false.

But,who are these other gods?

Are they exalted men/women?

Are they Angels sent to govern man?

Are they the Fallen Angels?

Or are they something else?

[edit on 16-4-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
A well thought out post.

These other gods are Fallen angels With Satan at the lead.
Many are the SAME entity under a different name.(Some names even sound the same)

Just copy and paste on the next generation.

As far as the stone sculptures and wooden totem, they are not anything.

Deu 4:28 And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

I think what your reading shows is that the ancient Israelites worshiped other gods other than Yahweh. This seems to be the power behind the first of the ten commandments, do not have any other gods before "me," the God that brought you out of Egypt, Yahweh. I'm not sure any sort of metaphysical substance needs to be subscribed to these gods. Humans have worshiped all sorts of things in their history.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

We are told that the Fallen Angels are damned and wish only harm on mankind,so if they are these gods how do you explain those that were personifications of such things as health & medicine,music,literature,home & hearth,love,happiness,knowledge and peace??

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll

We are told that the Fallen Angels are damned and wish only harm on mankind,so if they are these gods how do you explain those that were personifications of such things as health & medicine,music,literature,home & hearth,love,happiness,knowledge and peace??

2 cor 11:[13] For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
[14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Deception explains it plain and simple. If they came proudly proclaiming their servitude to Satan and their sworn enmity to mankind they’d be rejected out of hand now wouldn’t they? It’s much easier to do harm to those who trust you.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

If they came proudly proclaiming their servitude to Satan and their sworn enmity to mankind they’d be rejected out of hand now wouldn’t they?

Maybe not.

Cultures who have many Gods respect all of them.Which means they also show due reverence to those personified as war,strife,hate etc.

The good and bad exist side by side.They always have.
If he wanted to fool mankind Satan wouldn't need these "bad" gods.He could lead people astray quite easily without them.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

2 cor 11:[13] For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

But that doesn't mean all other deities are/were a product of evil or rebellion.

Any angel,fallen or not,would seem godlike to some people.

Its also natural for humans to create/use the visual to help give focus to the invisible.
The halo,a sun symbol,has been associated with Jesus and Christianity for centuries.

Malachi 4:1-3.1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

hello

if you saw your enemy coming over the hill what would you do?

Ok, then think AS the enemy and think what would you do to counteract your move

Satan has many tools, many plans and Many methods

david

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

But that doesn't mean all other deities are/were a product of evil or rebellion.

Any angel,fallen or not,would seem godlike to some people.

Its also natural for humans to create/use the visual to help give focus to the invisible.
The halo,a sun symbol,has been associated with Jesus and Christianity for centuries.

jakyll so kindly quoted the scriptures where god says not the worship other gods. the angels obey this too.

rev 19:[9] And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
[10] And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

so if an angels isnt fallen, and he is obediant, we would not solicit worship. while one can say he (angel) is A god, god almighty says not to worship him.

as for imagery and visuals....

the bible is very clear about idols and visuals being worshiped (remember the golden cow that represented god in moses' day? did god tolerate that?)

also, images such as the "halo" were added during the 4th century. alot of other unbiblical practices where also added around this time so i dont you have much of a case for saying that the bible supports that kind of thing

also also if satan and his fallen demons hijacked the church like jesus said they would, is it any surprise that they would use forms of worship like idols?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

so if an angels isnt fallen, and he is obediant, we would not solicit worship. while one can say he (angel) is A god, god almighty says not to worship him.

I didn't say that the Angels solicited worship.
What i meant was,for those not totally aware of who they are would see them as godlike and then would naturally,in their ignorance,start to worship them.

also, images such as the "halo" were added during the 4th century. alot of other unbiblical practices where also added around this time so i dont you have much of a case for saying that the bible supports that kind of thing

I agree a lot of imagery has been added from other faiths.
But my quote from Malachi shows that Jesus is identified with the Sun,unless this is a misprint in all the millions of Bibles out there,or unless this is the wrong interpretation of the verse,which i don't think it is.

Isaiah 30:26

Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the Sun, and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

As other parts of the Bible forbid the worship of the Sun,we can look at that in 2 ways.
1.)The people of the old testament were not yet ready to worship anything else that is of Heaven,meaning Jesus.(see Deu 4:19)
2.)If Jesus is not only the Son of God but also the Sun (in representation only) then maybe it shows that he and God are seperate and that only God is to be worshiped and Jesus is only to be revered because,after all,he came to Earth to do his Father's work.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I didn't say that the Angels solicited worship.
What i meant was,for those not totally aware of who they are would see them as godlike and then would naturally,in their ignorance,start to worship them.

well rev proves your right, there are situations like that

I agree a lot of imagery has been added from other faiths.
But my quote from Malachi shows that Jesus is identified with the Sun,unless this is a misprint in all the millions of Bibles out there,or unless this is the wrong interpretation of the verse,which i don't think it is.

Isaiah 30:26

Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the Sun, and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

As other parts of the Bible forbid the worship of the Sun,we can look at that in 2 ways.
1.)The people of the old testament were not yet ready to worship anything else that is of Heaven,meaning Jesus.(see Deu 4:19)
2.)If Jesus is not only the Son of God but also the Sun (in representation only) then maybe it shows that he and God are seperate and that only God is to be worshiped and Jesus is only to be revered because,after all,he came to Earth to do his Father's work.

bingo on 2. also note that jesus never asked for worship. he said to follow him as he did "the will of the father".

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Thats funny.
I don't remember the bible ever actually saying that those are the fallen angels.
Either way.............
I am not Christian so I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant

Thats funny.
I don't remember the bible ever actually saying that those are the fallen angels.
Either way.............
I am not Christian so I could be wrong.

what other being would they be?

according to the bible you have:

god
jesus (or micheal)
angels
satan
fallen angels
humans

this allows only a limited list of possible gods.

the context implies that god alone wants to be worshiped. so whether the other god is jesus, angels, satan, fallen angels or humans or even a piece of rock is irrelevant.

however, there are several scriptures stating that satan is misleading the world and that he lies, this would imply that satan and his demons are actively trying to be worshiped, or even at least deflect worship to god.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Erm. Still does not come out and SAY fallen angels = those other gods.

Short of that its a assumption.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WraothAscendant

2 corinthians 4:[4] In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

is that better?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Gen 1:26:"Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness

Gen 3:22:
"Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us

Gen 11:7:
“Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech,”

People have interpreted the plural 'us' to be the trinity:

Who was God talking to?

Isaiah 6:8:
God is speaking in the singular and then switches to the plural. He says, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" This is on the unusual construction. The singular speaker refers to himself in the plural.

I do feel it is an unusual construct and quite the mystery.

Considering the spirits of God, what does that suggest?

What are the seven spirits of God?

The fact that God was speaking in the plural has always intrigued me and it is not absolutely understood.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The fact that God was speaking in the plural has always intrigued me and it is not absolutely understood.

Some people explain it as the Royal "we" which is one person talking of themselves in the third person..."we are not amused.....we shall have your head chopped off if you don't bloody behave," that kinda thing.lol.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
or even simplier. god is not talking to himself (trinity) but infact talking to his son.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Still no fallen angels = other gods man.
I am sorry I am not trying to be a troll but your not showing me the proof I asked for.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join