It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Woman dies while watching The Passion of the Christ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
A woman reportedly died from a heart attack she suffered while watching Mel Gibson's controversial movie 'The Passion of the Christ'. The woman, in her 50s, was reported to have had the attack during the portion of the movie showing the crucifixion of Christ.

Kake.com
A middle-aged woman has died of an apparent heart attack while watching the climactic crucifixion scene in "The Passion of the Christ" at a morning showing in Wichita, Kansas, a television station has reported. The film was stopped and a nurse in attendance went to the unidentified woman's side, a spokeswoman for KAKE-TV in Wichita said on Wednesday. The woman, who was in her 50s, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, where a spokesman would only say she had been attending a movie. The county coroner's office said an autopsy would be performed.

Mel Gibson's film 'The Passion of the Christ' has been one of the hottest topics, next to the election on local and national news. Today was the first day of official viewing of the movie. The movie is a realistic portrayal of the final days and crucifixion of Jesus, and has been accused of being anti-Semitic, and violent. This has not stopped the Christian community from embracing the film and everyone from Billy Graham to the Pope has endorsed it. One man in Plano, TX spent $42,000 to buy out a 20-screen movie theatre, and gave the tickets away to anyone who wanted to see the film.

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Jesus Christ!! (no pun intended)
. This is the first time I've heard of a movie causing someone to die.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
Jesus Christ!! (no pun intended)
. This is the first time I've heard of a movie causing someone to die.

Im sure certain people are going to take this and run with it. People have died while making a bowel movement as well. It doesnt mean that there was an underlying 'scheme', although Im sure people will say otherwise.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
When I saw ET the extraterrestrial the first time in a theater, someone had a heart attack and died.
connection? no.

I think that this movie is inspiring strong emotions because of it's content. I also think that every little thing like this will be blown out of proportion.

Anyone remember "The Last Temptation of Christ"?
Does this situation sound familiar?

Peace, BG

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
hmmm ya know... in some of the newer malls and movie theaters they have AED's available...but of course this was a hick town...ever been to Witcha , Kansas??

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DjNothing
Im sure certain people are going to take this and run with it. People have died while making a bowel movement as well. It doesnt mean that there was an underlying 'scheme', although Im sure people will say otherwise.

Actually, I see an underlying connection between a bowel movement and this movie. Call it a "theme" perhaps. And no, I haven't seen it. Already took a crap today. No need for any more.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
why didn't they warn them that because of the content graphics it is not recommended watching if you have a weak hearth.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
why didn't they warn them that because of the content graphics it is not recommended watching if you have a weak hearth.

OMG its personal choice to go see the movie. If you did know it was goin to be gory as hell then you deserve to be smacked. Its not only been on every televsion station being reviewed and tellin how gory it is but it also has a R rating for that same thing. And teh only reason people are in an uproar about this is because its religous. I didnt see all this oposition against violent movies when Kill Bill, Texas Chainsaw Massacare, or and of the other countless movis came out.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I didnt see all this oposition against violent movies when Kill Bill, Texas Chainsaw Massacare, or and of the other countless movis came out.

I did. You just quoted numbers #1 and #2 on the Bill O'Reilly hit list. What's so funny is he used the violence in those movies as an example of what people should NOT go see, now he (and you) use those movies as an example for why THE PASSION is okay.

Isn't it nice when you can spin anything in your favor? If the violence in Kill Bill was wrong, how does Kill Bill make the violence in The Passion right? The entire point in both movies is to show the violence to make a point. One is a near spoof on exploitation movies, the other exploits gore to witness for religion and profit.

Actually I don't know you, but I know Bill O is a big fat hypocrite. You may not be and genuinely think Kill Bill was okay, but most Passion supporters did not. See the problem?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Let's see. X million people go to see a three hour movie and one dies during the 3X million person hours...sounds a little low, I would figure 2 or 3 would bite it.

I think the guy next to me died during Return of the King...that or he just smelled like it.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Guess there's no question where she went? Hehe...

No, not to make light of this...but you simply can't buy publicity like that....

I'd imagine that a large explosion during an action flick, could have the same response (and likely has, simply hasn't been newsworthy).....

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
lol, Gaz... haha

I saw the film yesterday, and it's a very bloody, intense movie.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Has anyone checked the bible? Does this qualify as entrance to heaven?
The woman did go to the theatre on her own free will,it could be considered suicide.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
the movie was intended to do that kill people....

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
"Whether Law's death and the timing in the film are related, we will never know, but religious and medical officials stress this film is not for the faint-hearted."

If you think about it thats sad.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
watch it be some giant conspiracy...where she has no identity, but a note in her pcoket speaking of all this stuff that will happen.....sehs the mesiah i betcha! pissed that everybodys like OooOoO look at jesus! hes so cool! and shes like DAMNIT IM THE MESIAH!!!!!!

or maybe it was just a lady in amovie theater having a heart attack...?

top topics

join