It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling people OP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This is such a pet peeve of mine, so I'm going to get it off my chest.

"OP" usually refers to Opening Post and even Opening Poster. It is the latter that bothers me.
When I see someone call another member "OP" it really reads as being rude and lazy to me. We all have our chosen names on here. Why is it so hard to type out a person's name, or copy and paste, or click that "reply" button?

Show some bloody respect

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I would have to say that I agree with the OP on this subject matter.

Sorry had to do it lol

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
How clever

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
What Does "OP" Mean?

I didn't even know what it meant until I made that thread.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, I LIKE IT!

I'm calling the Sheriff.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I totally agree, and have never used it!
Actually, at first I was'nt even sure what it meant, but eventually figured it out!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I rarely say that. Chances are if someone says it, then they aren't reading the post all the way through. Just skimming it. IF you can't remember who the poster was, than you weren't paying attention.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I agree with the OP.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The OP is absolutely right about this, and this is outrageous! I would expect an intelligent member such as Umbrax to have thought of this first, but the OP has beaten him to the punch!

huh? oh wait, nevermind, sorry...

Sometimes you really want to get your point in to the thread so fast that you only latter realise that you have no idea who posted the dang thing. So therefore the obligatory OP comes into play.

It's a terrible habbit that I myself am all too guilty of and I think that I need to personally cut it out.

Sorry OP.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I always thought that OP meant Original Poster..... Hmm.... But I agree...we should use our screen-names.... It does come off as someone being kind of "Lazy" or "Skimming" (as was said in earlier posts)....

I used it once....I will not use it again

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
HAHAHA good thread...

Ok, just my 2 cents of course...but if the ONLY thing I had to rant about, was the OP vs the typing of the full s/n...I'd hang myself.

But seriously...does this really matter in the whole entire scheme of things?

I personally like OP, I also like IMO, LMAO, MSM, I like a lot of abbreviations.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The only thing I knew was "lol" before I started hanging out here.

I prefer using someone's s/n as it tends to make the posts a little more personal, but probably have been guilty of laziness from time to time. It is a valid point, but I guess they could (and probably) have been called worse.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
actually, i don't really pay attention to names when reading posts. doesn't in any way mean i'm skimming. also, sometimes i'll hit the post reply button without any intention of referencing the OP, but while writing i change my mind. so instead of selecting all my text and hitting copy, clicking back, looking at the name, hitting forward and pasting my text back in, i just say "OP".

i don't see anything wrong with it.

top topics

join