It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silvio Berlusconi ahead in Italian exit polls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Silvio Berlusconi, the former Italian prime minister, is set to return to power for a third term, exit polls in the country's election suggest.

Daily Telegraph

I do believe he will be elected again, for a third term, but it will be difficult because Italian election laws prevent any political affiliation from getting a majority. So the mandate to govern will be limited and restricted.

This is due to preventing another Mussolini.

Whoever gets elected has to deal with public debt, reform of the public sector and addressing taxation.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Just another election in an irrelevant Old World nation who means nothing on the international stage these days...

Nothing to see here people, move along *waves arms about and yawns*

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
Just another election in an irrelevant Old World nation who means nothing on the international stage these days...

A member of the G8, founding member of the European Union, 7th Largest Economy in the World and is a elected member of the United Nations Security Council. Far from irrelevant.

Your conclusions highlight your inability to research, and evaluate, a topic before posting.

There are Italians and European members who will be interested and concerned about a unstable Italy in the European Union and in the G8 too.

[edit on 14-4-2008 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
There are Italians and European members who will be interested and concerned about a unstable Italy in the European Union and in the G8 too.
[edit on 14-4-2008 by infinite]

The fact Italy has had its 62nd election since the end of WW2 is hardly cause for important or breaking news....Big deal...

Its hardly like whenever Italy makes a major economic decision, world markets react to this...

Reason being, they don't...

Italy is an irrelevant player on the world economic stage, movements in its economy do not have ANY effect on the world economy...

Now the EU as a whole...Now you're talking....But lets face it, the G8 has become increasingly irrelevant with the rise of the Asian economies of late...

Like I said, Old World money doesn't mean what it used to....

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
The fact Italy has had its 62nd election since the end of WW2 is hardly cause for important or breaking news....Big deal...

So, you're are not interested in the story. Why post in this thread then? Unless you wish to seek increasing your points total, which is childish. Either way, it is infantile behaviour.

Like most members on ATS, if I am not interested in the topic, I do not feel the need to inform the OP by wrecking his/her thread

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I beg your pardon...?

Would you mind clarifying - and I mean quite explicitly, with arguments - what constitutes a(n) "(ir)relevant nation"?
I mean, the adjective is unambiguously qualitative.
What is its frame of reference?

Also, what is the "international stage"?
(I am closely familiar with the usage of this cliche within the media lingo. This is not it.)

While the last part of your post leads me to believe that you're joking (and I am all for jokes
), I suspect very many people might fail to realise it IS a joke.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Thread wreckers usually end up wrecking themselves... haven't you noticed?

(Which is probably why they post in the first place.)

It is an interesting development.
Or is it?
Whenever there's a whiff of recession in the world, people - and especially the Italians, or so it seems - go for the "safe" choice, meaning anyone who promises them "order" (even if it is of the oppressive kind).
I can't say it isn't understandable.

Of course after Prodi's recent failure there weren't very many options left in Italy - but still...
In fact that's probably the most "interesting" (and worrisome) facet of this process: the polarisation of the Italian public opinion allows for very few political options (= candidates).

It may be the "better the devil you know" phenomenon...

top topics

join