It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain seeking to assure Americans, "I detest war"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

McCain seeking to assure Americans, "I detest war"

www.reuters.com

Republican presidential candidate John McCain is attempting to reassure Americans that "I detest war" even as he strongly backs the current U.S. war strategy in Iraq.

McCain and his aides point to his past as a Vietnam prisoner of war as evidence that he is well aware of the sacrifices involved in war and not eager to get the United States involved in more conflicts if elected in November.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Republicans Try to Falsely Spin McCain's "100 Years" Comment Away Entirely
McCain in NH: Would Be "Fine" To Keep Troops in Iraq for "A Hundred Years"
Foes target McCain's 100-year war remark
McCain Calls War 'Necessary and Just'
McCain: The War You're Not Reading About

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
John McCain: "There's going to be other wars, I am sorry to tell you"
McCain Won't Rule Out Pre-Emptive War
McCain's advisor: Destroy Islam
McCain stumbles on Iran-Iraq link
John McCain 'would confront Russia and China'
Chavez Calls McCain 'Man of War'; Wants to Improve Relations With Next President

[edit on 4/14/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I really can't understand what this man is talking about. First McCain mentions how he doesn't mind 100 more years of the Iraq war, then he says there will be more wars, then he says he won't rule out preemptive war, he has an advisor that wants to destroy islam, and now he's saying he "detests war."

Are you kidding me? Do you think the American people are really that stupid. At least stay consistent on the issue of war. For chrissakes.

"Somebody who understands war, understands the military and has foreign policy and diplomatic experience is the best person to avoid war," said McCain senior adviser Charlie Black. "McCain is the last guy who wants to go to war and he knows all the other steps to do to avoid it."

Somebody who has constantly called for war with Iran does not detest war. He will not avoid war. He will continue the war in Iraq (and Afghanistan) and possibly start more.

McCain is not the last guy who wants to go to war. Please stop with the lies, you're making the entire country look bad.

At a time when his Democratic rivals are promising a way out of Iraq, McCain is adhering to a long-held view that the United States is in a war against radical Islamic extremists and that a central battle in that conflict is in Iraq.

Yes radical islamic extremists are the problem in the world...Gah, same story different day.

In the cold war it was the soviets, before that it was the nazis, and today its the muslim religion.

I'm sorry, but Islam is not the problem. US intervention and foreign policy is the root of much of our problems in the world. Not Islam.

He says the United States must stay in Iraq to help democracy take hold in the Middle East and remain there in some fashion in the years ahead as peacekeepers, much like U.S. troops have done in South Korea and Japan for decades.

Uhuh. Staying in Iraq will not ensure democracy takes hold. That's called an occupation, not democracy. The longer we stay, the worse off the Iraqi people will be. They need to start taking care of their own country. We won't be around forever.

Now that a troop increase in Iraq that he had recommended has improved security, more Americans are with him and willing to be more patient, he believes.

Americans are not willing to be patient as thousands of lives have been lost and trillions of dollars have gone down the drain. If you want to personally fund the mercenary forces there, so be it. The American taxpayer shouldn't be footing the contractor bill.

"A significant number of Americans believe we should come home with honor, not with disgrace and genocide," he told reporters on his campaign bus recently.

Its great to think we can come home with honor, but its not looking like that's going to be a possibility. We can "cut and run" now, and move on with our lives, or continue the 100 years of Iraq McCain wants. No doubt he'll have it if he's elected President.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
What he means is war in the conventional sense, when you get fired back at. Thats why he'll be ok at launching air strikes on Iran or any other smaller country he can attack with relative impunity.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I have to imagine he was attempting a jedi mind trick with that one. Yes yes, we know you were tortured Mr McCain. That in and of itself does not counter all of your other statements about where you stand on the issue of war and our role in the middle east.

And to answer your question earlier Biggie, yes they do think we are that stupid. Sadly though, as a whole I think they are correct.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

Some would say we're already fighting Iran now in the proxy war called Iraq/Afghanistan. I'm not on that camp, at least not entirely.

The problem with attacking Iran is that they fight back unlike Iraq. I don't really know what other country we would think would be ok to invade. North Korea isn't going to be invaded anytime soon, China is out of the picture, and I don't see any type of South American invasion happening.

And we wonder why the world "hates" America? We put our noses in other peoples business all the time and expect people to be alright with that.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I have to imagine he was attempting a jedi mind trick with that one. Yes yes, we know you were tortured Mr McCain. That in and of itself does not counter all of your other statements about where you stand on the issue of war and our role in the middle east.

Jedi or sith? We all know what side he's on, or at least leans.

I agree about your torture statement. As he was tortured in Vietnam, you'd think he'd be a little bit more aware of the situation and war in general. I don't think being a torture survivor makes it ok to endorse torture on others either.

And to answer your question earlier Biggie, yes they do think we are that stupid. Sadly though, as a whole I think they are correct.

I sure hope not.

Turn off fox news and the reality television and pay attention America.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
The mere fact he has to announce this to the public, shows his true nature.
He knows, his actions wether it be sub-level mentality have given a
non-desired view of being pro-war.

'' Sorry my answers and snap mental actions convinced you im all for senseless war, im really not... honest!
''

....... bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb EeeeRrrrannn!!!

that was merely a hiliary-ish-mis-spoken statement.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
First McCain mentions how he doesn't mind 100 more years of the Iraq war,

No he didn't. He said that he doesnt mind 100 years of a 'presence' in Iraq. We have an presence in Korea. We have a presence in Japan. We have a presence in Germany. Thats NOT the same as war. Not even close. (I was stationed in Japan for 3 years. I was part of that 'presence'. We were NOT fighting a war while I was there.)

he says there will be more wars,

There will always be more wars. That's human nature.
Show me the quote please.

then he says he won't rule out preemptive war,

GOOD! If someone is pointing a loaded gun at us then i hope to God that whoever is in charge will take the gun out of their hand. If they don't .. then they are an idiot and shouldn't be POTUS.

he has an advisor that wants to destroy islam,

So? Obama has MULTIPLE mentors and advisors who hate the Jews, hate whites, and some who even hate America.

and now he's saying he "detests war."

He has always said he detests war. So what's wrong with that?
He detests waterboarding and promises to stop it. He calls it what
it is - torture. He hates war. But he also sees that sometimes war
is a necessity. That's very balanced.

Do you think the American people are really that stupid.

Yes. Look at the number who are going to vote for Obama even though he's as crooked as the day is long, he has anti-Jews and anti-whites as his mentors, he has anti-americans as his mentors, and even though he has hasn't got enough experience. Yes, Americans are stupid.

Originally posted by biggie smalls
We put our noses in other peoples business all the time and expect people to be alright with that.

You talk like we are the only country in the world who tries to negotiate the world situations to lean in our favor. We are not. EVERY major country in the world does it. Every last one. If we didn't ... we would have been washed away by now. Heck .. even Lincoln was complaining that while we were caught up in the Civil War here, the French were taking advantage of the situation, and trying to get us to have a longer civil war, all so they could manuver around iin Mexican affairs and South American affairs.

So when people complain about America and say that we don't mind our own business and that's why people hate us .. I just
and
. Seriously ... the reason is a media game. America isn't playing the media game well enough. If we were, then EVERYONE would be hated because EVERYONE would be exposed.

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
The mere fact he has to announce this to the public, shows his true nature.

He's a pollitician who is running for POTUS. It's vetting season.
OF COURSE he's going to announce everything he stands for and
believes. It doesn't 'show his true nature'.

....... bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb EeeeRrrrannn!!!
that was merely a hiliary-ish-mis-spoken statement.

No. That was merely a joke that he and the rest of the vets were
making at a get together for veterans.

[edit on 4/14/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It does when he's constantly been portraying a lust for war.
And no matter how that 'statement' about bombing Iran came out, its not the sort of manner you'd expect to hear from a candidate for the Presidency.

I dont like to say Republican, or democart as neither is better, but surely you can see the similarities between this man, and Bush.

The blunt arrogance and ignorance for basic constitutional aspects..

bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran...

Imagine if Kennedy had of said that about Cuba,
Or Eisenhower about Germany, how about Clinton about Kosovo...

Does this man really have the qualities you deem fit for president?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
he's constantly been portraying a lust for war.

Like what? Would you post a reliable and non-partisan source for this alleged 'lust for war'? Being responsible in regards to the military and national security is not a 'lust for war'. Thank you, in advance, for posting the sources for what you consider a 'lust for war' to be.

Does this man really have the qualities you deem fit for president?

A heck of a lot more than Obama does.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If GWB, doesn't do it before leaving office, I have no doubt that John McCain would order a preemptive strike and/or start another war with Iran. Even if he says he detests it. Unfortunately, I think Clinton or Obama would also be forced to do the same thing. We opened a can of worms invading Iraq and we aren't going anywhere no matter who is elected. Iran will continue to supply the Shiites and we will be forced to strike back.

If elected, I don't think either democratic candidate will be able to bring our troops home even though that is what they promise, but I absolutely will not vote for John McCain. The republicans got us into this mess and now it will cost them.

The best way to avoid future wars, is to hold those accountable that mislead us into this one.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread...Mr."Bomb-Bomb-Iran" now detests war?!? What a complete joke...More playing the american populace for complete idiots. This guy might as well be named McBUSH. He is the M.I.C.s wet dream come true.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
No he didn't. He said that he doesnt mind 100 years of a 'presence' in Iraq. We have an presence in Korea. We have a presence in Japan. We have a presence in Germany. Thats NOT the same as war. Not even close. (I was stationed in Japan for 3 years. I was part of that 'presence'. We were NOT fighting a war while I was there.)

Presence, war, there is no difference. Its an occupation. We shouldn't have troops in any foreign country.

There will always be more wars. That's human nature.
Show me the quote please.

Read the additional sources I posted. I'll even give it to you:

John McCain: "There's going to be other wars, I am sorry to tell you"

Straight from the horses' mouth

GOOD! If someone is pointing a loaded gun at us then i hope to God that whoever is in charge will take the gun out of their hand. If they don't .. then they are an idiot and shouldn't be POTUS.

Who is pointing a loaded gun at the US? Did Iraq have the capability to attack us? Nope, but we sure invaded them. How about Afghanistan?

So? Obama has MULTIPLE mentors and advisors who hate the Jews, hate whites, and some who even hate America.

Not really, and this thread isn't about Obama. Thanks for deflecting the real issue at hand, McCain.

He has always said he detests war. So what's wrong with that?

He seems to behave otherwise.

He detests waterboarding and promises to stop it. He calls it what
it is - torture.

Um...I know this is going to be a bit of a shock to you, but he voted against a ban on torture including waterboarding. He didn't promise #.

Republican presidential front-runner John McCain bluntly called waterboarding "torture and illegal" Wednesday morning, again challenging the Bush administration's defense of a harsh interrogation tactic that makes prisoners think they are drowning.

He claims its illegal and torture, but then he decides to change his mind:

But later the same day, McCain cast a vote against Democratic-sponsored legislation supported by anti-torture advocates that sought to ban waterboarding and other coercive tactics by the CIA.

The Senate vote put McCain (R-Ariz.) on the same side as President Bush, who plans to veto the waterboarding ban. It also was consistent, his spokesman said, with statements McCain has made on the subject since 2005.

Is he really against torture? Nope.

Source

He hates war. But he also sees that sometimes war
is a necessity. That's very balanced.

War is necessary? Sounds like an excuse.

Yes. Look at the number who are going to vote for Obama even though he's as crooked as the day is long, he has anti-Jews and anti-whites as his mentors, he has anti-americans as his mentors, and even though he has hasn't got enough experience.

All the frontrunners are crooked. You want me to start pointing out how crooked McCain and Hillary are to make it "fair and balanced."

I'm no fan of any of the candidates.

Yes, Americans are stupid.

Hm...I'll buy it.

You talk like we are the only country in the world who tries to negotiate the world situations to lean in our favor. We are not. EVERY major country in the world does it. Every last one. If we didn't ... we would have been washed away by now. Heck .. even Lincoln was complaining that while we were caught up in the Civil War here, the French were taking advantage of the situation, and trying to get us to have a longer civil war, all so they could manuver around iin Mexican affairs and South American affairs.

I don't think I ever said we're the only country acting like fools. We are a pretty stupid race on a whole.

So when people complain about America and say that we don't mind our own business and that's why people hate us .. I just
and
. Seriously ... the reason is a media game. America isn't playing the media game well enough. If we were, then EVERYONE would be hated because EVERYONE would be exposed.

Media game? I'm pretty sure when we invade sovereign nations no amount of media can spin it in our favor. The world sees through our facade of "freedom and democracy."

We invaded countries flat out.

new topics

top topics

join