It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Thread Ranking System

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

Originally posted by Bangin
I will not be using this new feature.

I agree. I dont think this feature is a good idea. it has the potential to be abused and cause problems down the road.

I don't think so. I think it will help weed out some of the borderline trolls.

edit: no I am not refering to euther of you.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Oh Im sure you weren't.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I don't like this feature for the following reasons:

1. score does not indicate number of votes cast
2. you can vote more than once on a thread
3. you can vote 10 for a friend and 1 for an enemy
4. scoring will be used to justify TWATS, warnings, expulsions etc even though points 1,2, and 3 above.
5. expect that it will replace member voting for TWATS (where I have questioned validity of TWATS system before, I find this thread scoring to be even more susceptible to corruption and favourtism).

How do I know? I tested it. I picked a few threads and voted either 10 or 1 for them. Unless the thread had a lot of posts, I was markedly able to affect the posted score of the thread by my ONE VOTE.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Originally posted by Ocelot

Originally posted by Bangin
I will not be using this new feature.

I agree. I dont think this feature is a good idea. it has the potential to be abused and cause problems down the road.

I don't think so. I think it will help weed out some of the borderline trolls.

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by HowardRoark]

You know, sometimes when you make comments Howard, I can't stop but think you are management around here, I mean you talk like you are. Are you?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
If this system doesn't prove popular what about a simple thumbs up or thumbs down system for the post, if a post got 5 thumbs up and 1 thumbs down then only the majority vote would show as a thumbs up.
would that work?
I don't know what it could be rated as if the votes were split evenly though.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Or another alternative would be , as I've seen on another site, a system where posts are awarded stars. They all start off with no stars and if you like a post you decide how many stars it is worthy of up to 5. That way you can't say that a post is bad just because you don't like the member posting as you can't give negative feedback only good if it deserves it.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO 1. score does not indicate number of votes cast
I might add that... we'll see.

2. you can vote more than once on a thread
But 4 days apart. That's a long time for a thread. If you think the thread has improved or failed 4 days later, you have a chance to vote again.

3. you can vote 10 for a friend and 1 for an enemy
Same as way above voting... but in the end, no one disagreed with each month's winners.

4. scoring will be used to justify TWATS, warnings, expulsions etc even though points 1,2, and 3 above.
Nope.

5. expect that it will replace member voting for TWATS
Nope.

I was markedly able to affect the posted score of the thread by my ONE VOTE.
This has been improved. New threads are launched with 5 votes of 5, so it's harder to immediately effect a new thread's score.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Slight modifications... The ranking buttons are now only displayed on page one of a thread (let me know if you see differently). When viewing a thread, the score box now also displays the number of votes (on all pages of a thread).

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Is there a way that you can sort all threads by ranking manually or will this be accomplished by a new view to be put in later?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal Is there a way that you can sort all threads by ranking manually or will this be accomplished by a new view to be put in later?
Once there are enough scores, we'll be doing it like the top 100 viewed/replied threads.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Nice work. Me likes the new thread ranking system.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Although I like the new thread ranking system it seems that it is being abused already.

World Wide Seismic Event Thread has a score of 5.455

NASA is not altering Color Thread has a score of 6.429 and I voted it to be a 10.

These are some of the best threads that we have and they are being voted low.

Also I think we may have a bug in the system as well.

Yellowstone Super Caldea Project thread had a rating of a 10 with 1 vote. I voted it to be a 10 and the score changed to 6.429 with 2 votes?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Thats because all threads now start with 5 votes of 5 so as to dampen the initial shock of the first voters choosing 10 or 1.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Although I like the new thread ranking system it seems that it is being abused already.

World Wide Seismic Event Thread has a score of 5.455

NASA is not altering Color Thread has a score of 6.429 and I voted it to be a 10.

These are some of the best threads that we have and they are being voted low.

Like I said earlier, as with any viewer ratings a "6" is damn good. Look at the rate the hottie sites. The best get 3's. It would take 100 "10's" and nothing else to get a thread with 5 "5's" up to 9.5. Don't expect to see any 10's ever once this kicks in. Adjust your expectations. "6" is awesome.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Actually, I think I may have just debunked the premise of the World Wide Seismic thread... read my post.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Problem,

I've recently voted on two seperate occasions lower than the average score indicated; however when my vote was tallied (and the vote counter only went up by one vote) the score went up??

What gives? What kind of math is this thing using?

Also just noticed on the Kofi Annan ATSNN thread that the thread has -2 votes and a score of 8??

Strange things are happening, I thinkt he system has bugs.

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Lukefj]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Will there be a ranking for BTS?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Yes... from -1 to -10 j/k Probably not.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
Or another alternative would be , as I've seen on another site, a system where posts are awarded stars. They all start off with no stars and if you like a post you decide how many stars it is worthy of up to 5. That way you can't say that a post is bad just because you don't like the member posting as you can't give negative feedback only good if it deserves it.

personally I still think that this sort of voting system would be better. Let everybody start off with no score and then members can help to build up a good rating for threads rather that having threads labeled as bad. otherwise feelings could be hurt.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If I'm on a thread thats rated a 6 with one vote, why is that after I vote and give it a 7 and its' total is then 5.87?

I really want whatever they were smokin' when they wrote that code!

DUDEEEEE!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join