It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Thread Ranking System

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
A new experimental feature is being launched this morning that allows members to rank any thread from 1 (poor) to 10 (excellent). The goal is to allow all members participating in ATS to help define which content is superior, and which needs more work. Here's how it works. Only ATS Theme Threads have the ability to be ranked. BTS threads and others are not part of this ranking system. Anyone can rank a thread just click on the 1-10 buttons at the top of any page within the thread. Thread authors cannot rank their own threads (sorry). You can vote for the same thread multiple times, as long as your votes are 4 days apart. This should allow you to cast a new vote if the thread has evolved in quality. Threads start with a default rank of 5. After some time with the thread ranking system, we'll create a page that shows the highest ranked threads, which, in theory, should end up showing the highest quality content in our community. So... go rank'em.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Cool I rank this thread a big fat 10

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I just noticed this ranking system a minute ago.
I like the idea, it's going to be cool and definitley help ATS.

BTW, also ranking this one a 10

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Awesome, seems to be working. This may have an impact on post quality on ATS.

-B.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think this is a excellent new feature. I have seen it done on other boards. It will give members some kind of idea of what the standard is on the board, and what quality of posts to aspire to making themselves.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I will not be using this new feature.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thats a great feature..

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
have you got any plans to let a threads score be known next to each thread on say , the todays posts screen?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yes... after enough threads are ranked.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Has it been luanched yet? I can't see a list of numbers to choose from.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Are you looking at threads in the right forums?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
I will not be using this new feature.

I have mixed feelings for this. I can see how this could be beneficial, it is a good idea, but as with all things like this, can have undesirable effects on the community.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone can have undesirable effects on the community.
Which is why I classified it as experimental in the initial post.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Which is why I classified it as experimental in the initial post.

And right you are sir!

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Maybe the voting buttons should be located in the 1st page of the thread only. I you end up on the third page and the comments are stupid or off topic then the person that opened the thread could get negative votes, rather than being judged on his work. This would also encourage people to read the initial post and keep people on topic.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
it's a neat idea. i don't think i'll be using it though... anyway, is the rank of the thread going to be posted in the forum before you read enter the thread? i agree with what kinglizard just said, being that the voting should also be only on the first page. also, i think it's still in a sort of obnoxious part of the thread, but that's just me.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Its a good idea as long as members vote on the quality of the post - some might be tempted to vote a low number because they disagree with the content or view of the thread author, that would be a missuse of this feature I think.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
righty right ooobe doo
tolchok
viddy well love viddy well
a durango purred away real horror show
come and take one in the yarbles that is if you got any yarbles!
love the alex delarge avatar
mr overlord
but there is so many features and things to do on this website that this feature may not not work or it might
well see

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
i see the ranking system now. I remember reading somewhere that peopel tend to select extremes which may make the system less useful. But I think over-use protections should cut down on some of that.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hi all!!

A nice additition to the board - I quite like Likert scales myself!!

Thanx for incorporating this feature SO!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join