It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled Torch Bearer Becomes Chinese Hero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

abcnews.go.com

By EMMA GRAHAM-HARRISON
BEIJING, April 11, 2008

A wheelchair-bound Chinese torch bearer has rocketed to national fame after fending off protesters in Paris, becoming a symbol of China's defiance of global demonstrations backing Tibet.

Jin Jing, a 27 year-old amputee and Paralympic fencer has been called "angel in a wheelchair" 。
BOYCOTT CALLS
In China the attack has become a lightning rod for anger about the chaotic protests.Some bloggers called for boycotts of French goods and on one Web site a Chinese student posted pictures of the protester who got closest to Jin.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
i would say that this whole event can only make we chinese people stronger and united with the government against western countries!

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It does not make any sense to me for Chinese people to be angry with "west countries". They protesters just represent some activist groups, politicians, and some ordinary people, just happened in a few places. Most people even don't know about this torch tour or protest.

It is not to the Chinese people's interests to be anti-western countries or people, and vice versa. We need mutual understanding and mutual respect.

[edit on 12-4-2008 by fuelcell]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beijinghaidian

Oh they've allowed you to surf ATS ?
It's great to be free, huh ?

Why not try criticising the Chinese leadership instead of western democracies ... and we'll see how long you survive online.

In fact we'll see how long you survive ... at all.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Charity

I am in Beijing. Coincidently, I am in Haidian of Beijing, in Zhongguancun, Tsinghua Univesrity. I have free access to the internet. I am working with Chinese colleagues, who are professors, graduate students, and foreign scholars. They told me that they did not feel they were blocked from internet of foreign sites.

By the way, they do criticize the Chinese government often.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
from the posts people can tell how little they know about china,how narrow minded and stereotyped against other countries.please ,learn more about other countris,average chinese know more about other countries and their history and culture than average americans.your media are so biased against china,in that case,i could definitely say china media are on the fairer side.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this incident.
Perhaps we should treat the disabled differently. With more care, and respect.
On the other hand, many disabled want nothing more than to be treated as equals, to be treated the same as any other able bodied persons.
This person put themselves in a position that had known dangers, they took that risk, just like all the other runners. And it appears they were treated as an equal.

Should they have been treated differently, because they were disabled?

And to the original Thread starter.
Yes, Americans are probably a bit ignorant about China.
I'm sure the Chinese leadership is just as fantastic as you say.
But I bet they still have a few failings.
Tell us a few things that you DO like about your leadership.

And more importantly:

Tell us a few things that you don't like about your government.
What bugs you about the way things are run?
Please, educate us.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
i've never said chinese government is perfect and flawless,actually i believe there are many many things that chinese govn should learn from the west.corruption is big issue in china.rule of the privillaged instead of rule of law is still often the case here in china.we are not blind,we know how many trouble we have here and how inefficient the government is .but there is one thing the government is doing pretty well,that is to hold the whole nation together.we experienced centuries of war and unrest,foreign invasions,our national pride was dashed completely,for a hundred years we were at mercy or foreign powers,the humiliation is beyond any of your westerners imagination.the ruins of some old palaces burnt down by foreign invaders still silent standing in west beijing reminding the misery past our nation went through.
it is this government,piked up our confidence again,and in 50 years time,built the country one of the world powers again,that's the dream of all chinese people
for centuries.
we dont really need a weak government,for few governments in the whole chinese 5000years history can hold this big nation so strong and with the strong government,everything else could be a smooth sailing,china now is in fast track developping the economy,keep this momentum,we will be running to the top again,we are very optimistic about it.make 1.3billion people your enemy is the last thing that any government in this world would like to do.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by beijinghaidian]

[edit on 13-4-2008 by beijinghaidian]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
btw,all the document and old maps point to that fact that tibet was part of china centuries before first europeans arrived in america,the very title "dalai lama"was given by the then central government.do some history study before commenting on something you dont know.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Well, if corruption is a problem with Chinese Government, I'd say they have already learned a few things from the west!

I'd also like to thank you for answering my question. I've asked this same question before, to other members from China. This is the first time I've gotten a response. Maybe a few things are changing.

top topics

join