It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do They Make Us Close The Window Blind on Night Fight?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IronMan

Haha, nice fictional story.
Virex, hadn't seen that in awhile.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by battlestargalactica
reply to post by IronMan

Haha, nice fictional story.
Virex, hadn't seen that in awhile.

Thanks,
I have an extensive wardrobe of material, fictional or
otherwise. Some involving Virex.
I do bar mitzbahs, weddings and stag-gigs.

Of course, on this site, I rarely get wedding gigs as
I assume most of us are single 42 year-old males in
our bedrooms, living with our mothers and have a Van-Dyke
beard and wear shorts around the house.

The open-toed sandals are optional.
Oh sh*t I just got water all over myself!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IronMan

Or, we're Gay un-employed bums intent on changing the world to make it all Gay....oops, if we're all Gay, then the race dies out....oh heck, that's not good at all, can't have that, must bring a god into into, yes....that fixes everything.

Back to topic...close window shades at night? Strobe lights, interferring with people seeing the movie screens, my final answer.

SO, anyone seen any good movies lately??

WW

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by IronMan

Hah, I totally see you living as a wedding singer (like the movie) and wearing open toed sandals (sometimes sandals with black socks), question is why are you 42 and still living with ur mum?

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

@thread: I would have like the OP to have confronted this flight attendant, perhaps next time don't conform so easily, stand up brotha (or sista)!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Ya know, nobody else mentioned this, but do you not realize that the window shades should be UP during take-off and landing?

I was told that they do this so in the event of a crash during takeoff/landing and the rescue crews need to cut through the fuselage they can see if there's anyone alive behind the window...

...can anyone answer this question for me:

Why do they have frosted windows in the toilets aboard planes?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I have flown a lot in my life time and never once have I ever been asked to lower the window shade. That just would seem very strange to me.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANTHONY33

Originally posted by Zaphod58
At night, moonlight at altitude is brighter (at least it always seems so to me when I fly at night), because you're above the pollution. That light, plus the strobes reflecting into the windows annoys people.

During the day, people want to watch movies. With the shades open there's too much glare to be able to do that, even with seat back monitors sometimes. If you're on an older plane that doesn't have them, even one shade open can keep you from getting a good look at the screen ahead of you.

[edit on 4/12/2008 by Zaphod58]

All that seams correct but it doesn't explain my experience.

Only you could explain your own experience, if you're unsure than guess what so is everyone else. Perhaps it was nothing or maybe it was someting. maybe you could give more details as to what you noticed. did you open the widow shade after the attendent left. Was the light still there etc.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Interesting thread. My best friend's grandfather worked for Boeing. He was on the biffy team. The safest place to be in a 747 crash is the biffy. It's designed to survive, more or less, as a unit.

Thought you might like to know.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronMan
Hmmm... this reminds me of an event that happened
to me a couple of years ago.....
Then I squinted my eyes as I pulled the blind up slightly.
It was only a few centimeters and I was shocked by what
I saw.

The sky was dark, the clouds below me were dirty grey and
I could see the lone strobe-light from the wing blinking in the
freezing air.
Then two men walked past, one with a ladder and the other
with a bundle of wires! I distinctly remember that both men
had ear-pieces and micro-phones on their heads.....

I sometimes wonder, late at night, who were those guys?

Perhaps they were gremlins with tools.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I like to see where I'm going and I want to see the landscape below, horizon, sunset and clouds. It's why I try to get a window seat! I'm not interested in watching the movies and so it's a bit annoying that everyone closes their blinds, making it dark and claustrophobic.

It's a good point you bring up though. Maybe they came up with the idea of movies to have an excuse to pull down the shades. Next they'll put them on automatic lock or in between a double window and those who don't want to be in a coffin won't have a choice.

When I was a child on a flight from Sea-Tac to Heathrow, we flew through a lightening storm. I saw alot of flashes of light, and we were dropping altitude. We made a stop at Bangor, Maine during the time it had just changed over from Dow AFB. I don't know what was going on, but I recall the stewardess giving some unusual instructions about disembarking the plane. I don't recall her exact words, it was something like do not take your handbaggage off with you, leave it on your seat and not on another person's seat, and do not attempt to go back onto the plane once you exited. We had to walk down the steps a certain way, not looking or stepping back. As we walked down the steps onto the runway, soldiers were lined up on each side and had rifles. I remember another passenger saying something about if you didn't listen to the rules they would shoot, but that may have been an exaggeration by that person, needless to say it instilled some fear. I had flown on alot on planes and the rules were very strict from this stewardess about how we exited and re-entered the plane, and the carry-on baggage. It was a long speech.

I remember asking why this was a wierd airport that looked like a barn and full of soldiers and guns. It was dark when we landed. It always bugged me what this was about, if anything and maybe it's just the way that airport is or was at the time, due to it being military.

Last year I asked my father about this flight and he had no recollection of seeing any soldiers or rifles, or any lightening storm. He agreed it was Bangor, and I have a postcard we got, which was about the only thing it sold. I also asked my brother, who has the most amazing memory and he has no recollection either. I know I saw soldiers and guns, because it scared me to see that many and having to walk between them, and more soldiers were all over the runway.

Another thing I recall from this flight as we approached London, was being asked by a stewardess to go to the cockpit to see the captain. He was very nice and gave us money to hand out papers (to each passenger). Probably some duty free thing to fill out. It was just one document sized sheet of paper.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ANTHONY33

I noticed this on an air France flight from Paris to Singapore a couple of years ago. It was bright daylight outside when they asked people to close the blinds on windows, I was stuck in the centre seat of the centre isle so I had to go to the toilets to look out of the windows on the rear exit doors, where the blinds weren't closed.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Why would you be asked to pull the blind down on a day trip?

One reason is sunlight. It might not be bothering you, but it can bother others at different angles.

A word of advice to the people who stand up for their rights against air crew.
These ladies (and gents) have a tough job. They have anough problems with irritable passengers who are never happy for sitting in the seats they've been allocated, to drunks, to loss of sleep, to assuring passengers who have flight phobias, before you decide to throw your oar in. Through it all they smile and dish us out the food and try and help in everyway they can. OK, they were not foced into this job, and it does have some nice perks. Its not a job I would want to do. As a rule I have and will always pleasant to them.

I did watch an interesting programme on TV which was interviewing airstewards on their jobs and some of the stories were very good, and what they have to put up with.
One story was of a male steward who was singled out by 2 passengers and called a faggot. The steward felt that he did not need to be treated in this manner, which I agree with. When they landed he signalled out the two to security. He never did find out what security did to them, but apparently this is one of the 'perks' of the job.

[edit on 14-4-2008 by Mark Roazhar]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mark Roazhar

It's nice to know they're giving away optional prostate checks with every flight ticket these days! Mighty neighborly of them! Speaking from experience MR? LOL!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's all about consideration for other passengers, (night or day)...

At American Airlines, it is normal procedure on long daylight flights for cabin crew “to request passengers to close window blinds after meal service so those who wish to sleep may do so,” says Richard Hedges, a spokesman for American in London. “However, if a passenger wishes to keep the window blind open, they may do so.”

For example....

Personally, I've only ever been asked on longer, international flights. I've never been asked on domestic flights, and for my last job, I used to fly at least 2-4 times a month.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Mmm... seems a bit of a problem, if the hostess...
maybe with the mostest, asks you to lower your
flap, is she concerned about the rest of the passengers,
or is she coming onto you?!
Oh I hope it's the latter, Mum reckons I should'nt fly because
if God wanted us to fly he would have made us all Richard Branson.

The thing is, when I'm flying down to Majorca, the chick-magnet, I
always dis-embark all sweating and moist.
Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.

The gay thing... the one mentioned earlier, does that have a connection
with the open-toed sandals? Enquiring minds wanna know and if so, I'll
leave them in my bedroom tonight.

Oh shoot!! I got water on myself again!
How can the same sh*t happen to the same guy twice?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

...can anyone answer this question for me:

Why do they have frosted windows in the toilets aboard planes?

Hmmm..
Isn't it obvious?
It's privacy glass, so the aliens can't peek in at you while you're doing your biz! Who would believe you anyway, everyone else has their window shade down.

In all seriousness.......No idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by justme2

Frosted windows in the lavs?

Not to keep the aliens from looking in, it's so those of us who are pee-shy will feel free to let it stream....

edit...'course, you all know we're trying to joke here......right?

[edit on 4/15/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think the frosted glass problem is so that you
actually get to see what you look like if the plane
crashes, Distorted and twisted... ATSers, think about it.

A neighbour of mine had the privacy glass that a person
can see out, but another can't see in. He had put in his toilet
and yes... you guessed it, he put it in the wrong way.

I mean, sh*t happens but you shouldn't have to watch it.

Big Moira and myself gave him an hour before telling him,
Heeh! the laughs we have in our cul-de-sac.

Whooah!... nearly, it's just a little splash on my keyboard.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by IronMan]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by battlestargalactica
reply to post by IronMan

Hah, I totally see you living as a wedding singer (like the movie) and wearing open toed sandals (sometimes sandals with black socks), question is why are you 42 and still living with ur mum?

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

@thread: I would have like the OP to have confronted this flight attendant, perhaps next time don't conform so easily, stand up brotha (or sista)!

Well it's like this.
I'm a little over-weight and I have a problem with my toe nails.
Most of the 'chicks' around here seem not to get my wit.
They're more interested in the night-scenes and keeping up
with fashions!!
They don't get Star Trek-Next Gen, they can't appreciate a good
Air-Fix model and you can forget it when it comes to discussing
Roswell... TEAM ATS RIGHT NOW!

What meagre monies I can 'scrounged' from my mom, I use
on cheap flights to Ufo seminars and I think Stanton Friedman
is cool.
So that's my life... it could be worse I suppose.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

No, like I said I've always been a nice guy to all airstaff, ranging from groundcrew, baggage handlers, security, stewards, pilots etc. In all my time being nice, I have never had an item of luggage mislaid and have even been given an upgrade a couple of times. Did you know that the stewards get told to smile constantly? Like I said in my previous post, these people have enough on their plate without you adding seconds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join