It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts On Exotic Propulsion Systems...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There have been suggestions that travel across vast distances/times are accomplished by UFOs through some kind of integration of physicality and perception. That is, the ships that the aliens/time travelers use are not so much vehicles as they are machines that allow the pilots to "imagine" themselves in another location and time, and then go there. That is because reality is what we construct via our consciousnesses. It's like "thinking" yourself to a different point in space and time.

I'm not sure how this works in a practical sense, but it's interesting to consider.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Some type of space warp via an artificial gravitational field seems like the best bet. Use the field to "compress" a portion of space in front of the ship, reducing the actual inline distance needed to travel across that space by orders of magnitude. Then do it repetitively at a frequency of 2GHz, until you reach the stars.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well if you are going to travel faster than light, you better focus on the Higgs field. Otherwise your only hope is to turn yourself into massless photons and reassemble yourself back into quantum mass at the other end.

Niether looks likely at the moment.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Great thread WFA!

Though I'm no scientist, I'd like to give my 2 pennies worth. Firstly I'd like to remind everyone the Einsteins theory is just that... a theory. All he did was try to visualize how things would happen/work but whether it's actually grounded in the truth is another thing. Personally - I don't buy the infinite mass at light speed argument.

An interesting theory I heard from Jana Levin the astrophysicist (i think) was that we may be able to shave time of long space journeys by not following the curvature of space from Point-A to Point-B. Almost like a dimensional slip I guess as it's a direction we can't find in regular 360 degree movement.

If you imagine an orange - and the peel that goes around the circumference is time-space.... Instead of following the curved circumference to get from Point-A to Point-B you would travel in a straight line - like sticking a skewer through the orange from Point-A to Point-B. Essentially like a wormhole I imagine.

This wouldn't help so much traveling shorter distances but would be advantageous on big journeys. Also travel would be free of debris like space dust, asteroids etc in this dimensional subspace so travel would be much safer... in theory. Also it's possible that there won't be the same physical limitations placed upon us as we see in regular space-time.Who knows ehh.

So I guess what I'm proposing is dimensional/wormhole travel. It seems a lot less destructive than warping space. The thought of that just scares me!

Anyway I've taken up enough space with my naive mutterings.

Star & Flag as per usual my friend

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have had this theory for a few years now, instead of trying to go "fast" I propose the opposite.

If you are in geostationary orbit above the earth, you are traveling 1000 MPH relative to any spot on the equatorial earth.

if you are in geostationary orbit relative to the solar system, you would be moving at 67,000 mph.

so, instead of thinking of moving, think of Stopping, it would take less energy.

but, than again, it's all relative.........

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

It is theorized that a Wormhole connects a black hole to a white hole (black holes take in all mater (even light) and white holes are observed ejecting matter into space (sometimes called GRBs).

Well it hasnt been proven that GRBs are white hole ejection,it is thought they are from exploding stars of a certain type,magnar quakes,or the formation of a black hole.....but who knows.

I think the most likely form of FTL travel will be either warp or "hyperdrive'(by that I mean constructing a wormhole and going through it)If you bend space to an object you could get to very long distances in a matter of minutes,hours,days....maybe weeks.Also by using warp or hyperdrive you bypass realitivity.IMO the PTB already have this technology and are using it today.Also for sub-light speeds I imagine a ion drive based on m/-m would be in store............but these are all ideas others have already suggested,thats my 2 cents anyways.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yeah, but why does the EBE have to be "Bob"? Why not............SlightlyAbovePar?

Great thread! Star and flagged! Thank you for your efforts.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I have already designed such a system, and applied for patents.

I will give a few hints...

1) Monoatomic elements are used... learn about their weight at different temperatures. Be impressed. But why?

2)Particle Accelerators in space? Well sort of... Guess why?

3) What happens when a particle is lighter at it's point of origin than it's point of Impact? Do you See where I am going?

4)What happens when you superheat a Monoatomic element? What happens when it is at absolute zero? How do these different states affect the element?

Answer these questions and you'll learn something profound.

Then it all starts to become obvious and you'll soon realize why you didn't figure it out sooner.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well since gravity can seem to "bend" or curve light, like how they have found planets around other stars, In my opinion harnessing and controlling gravity is the way to go....using magnetics of course
Once we are able to fully do that then theoretically we should be able to bend/fold space to travel instantaniously between two spots in space or at least sling shot us faster than the speed of light. I don't know, I am no scientist, heck I can't even fathom the mathematics behind it let alone balancing my budget.
but gravity and magnetics have my vote.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is way out their;

What if you could attach matter to a photon (photonic field) and the photon would drag the matter with it. Since the photon travels at the speed of light the attached matter would also travel at the speed of light. If photons can be affected by gravity, a gravitational field could possibly enhance the speed beyond the speed of light.

Speculation from a twisted mind?

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You are starting to get it woolremover...

Now imagine a chain of monoatomic elements in place of your photons and matter.

No imagine that monoatomic chain was superheated before it was propelled whilst cooling on the way. We already know the mass is altered whilst the element is at different temperatures.

What law of thermodynamics? It is starting to sound more like a theory every day.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by doctormcauley

This is controlling electronic and nuclear orbits within the atom itself. Correct me if I'm inaccurate.
The applications would be limitless.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
What if Aliens Beings are Light theme self ? what if there whole body its constructed of light or higher vibrations ... just like Carlos Diaz describes them on Ajusco Mexico ... www.ufos-aliens.co.uk...

we dont know yet but we will ... soon.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by doctormcauley

Yea but how can your research be applied to a vessel?By what means would it work?Also how would the engine-propulsion transfer work?u2u me with some info please,I am interested in this topid of FTL propulsion.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctormcauley
You are starting to get it woolremover...

Now imagine a chain of monoatomic elements in place of your photons and matter.

Now imagine that monoatomic chain was superheated before it was propelled whilst cooling on the way. We already know the mass is altered whilst the element is at different temperatures.

What law of thermodynamics? It is starting to sound more like a theory every day.

Yep, *if* mass can be changed, it would be an inertial drive coupled to a heat pump.

I have two questions:
The simplest way I have found to create ORMUS is to implant addtitional electrons into the orbital shells to produce "inert" species. The method I am currently using is a vacuum chamber with a high voltage DC arc (currently 50,000vdc ---> going to 200,000 vdc after I build a much larger very large VanDe Graff generator) and surrounded by lead to shield from X-Ray emmisions during electron bombardment and using the target metals as an anode. The metals I am currently focused on are [ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, platinum, osmium, iridium, ]--> too expensive for my budget, but currently silver, gold, and I would also like to try mercury but I'm not sure how to handle that one yet without accidently contaminating my lab.

Please realize this is all new research for me, so at the moment I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. It's all hit or miss until I earn my wisdom. Therefore if anyone else on this board is attempting to do ORMUS Research and Manufacturing, please drop a line, I'd like to hear from you!

Anyway, doctormcauley, My question concerns heat specificity of Ormus materials. Suppose you *did* have a chain composed of Ormus. I dont think that would present the most efficient configuration simply because the ORMUS materials have a very high coefficient. "chunks of chain" do not cool very quickly. However, if you were to use a mercury vapor as your ORMUS material, and sent it through a venturi tube, the expanding part of the tube would cause a rapid and efficient cool down of the ORMUS material. Conversely, the narrow region of the venturi tube would cause a rapid heating of the Ormus material.

I believe such a configuration is currently employed in the latest replacement of the USAF SR71 --> the TR3B. They use a ring configuration, but if the if the mercury vapor accelerator ring is constricted not with physical tube walls but instead employs magnetic constriction , this would be an easy way to regulate the heat cycle of heating and cooling of ormus materials (Mercury vapor in this case) as you propose above.

Such a configuration would be even more efficient if superconducting magnets were utilized, becuse once those magnets attian critical temperature, it requires almost no energy to keep the magnetic field going.

Would you like to restate a better analogy than a "chain"?

We're listening...

[edit on 12-4-2008 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wow.

This thread has really gotten a lot more attention and thought than I had anticipated. I'm very impressed with everyone's suggestions, and everyone's willingness to engage in discussion and the sharing of ideas.

I really started this thread because it was Friday and I thought it might be fun on Friday to have a theoretical discussion on something everyone in this forum cares about, instead of another heated debate thread. I don't know, perhaps the concept of 'casual friday' has begun to infect my brain

Anyway, I really didn't expect to log back in today and see such an interesting thread develop.

I'll try to respond to everyone as I can, and I'm sorry in advance if I miss anyone. Thank you all for sharing your ideas and research. Just to find people that are willing to do experiments to test their theories is exciting to me, when talking about such an exciting topic.

-WFA

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by battlestargalactica
Think of it this way, picture our ancient ancestors, ancient man, would he be able to imagine what the future would be like in the year 2008, did he even know what time was? Even thinking about things he did know, say fire, could he imagine future forms of firestarting devices that we have today (Bic lighter, Magnesium etc..), things that are simple to us?

(Bold Added by WFA)

Battlestargalactica, I must respond to your post again first, because something really strange happened this morning.

I was thinking about what you said yesterday, about how it might not be possible for us to comprehend such an advanced race, and it occured to me that essentially, all we truly need to comprehend is the need and the physics in order to solve the problem. The methods should come as a result of trial and experimentation.

Strangely enough, as I was having these thoughts I was thinking about the ancient orient (my GF is Japanese, and we have a lot of Japanese things in our apartment. It turns my thoughts to ancient times there often).

So I flip on the television, still thinking about this, and go over to the History Channel, to find they are talking about the 'Cosmic Engine' of ancient China.
library.thinkquest.org...

It was really wierd, and I just had to share it with you. Apparently we DID know what time it was 1000 years ago. At least, if you were Chinese 1000 years ago you would know what time it was

And in fact, this sort of illustrates my own point prior to seeing the show, that if humans can grasp the 1) Need, and 2) Physics, than we can develop any number of 3) Methods, to satisfy the Need consistant with the Physics.

So while you are completely right that the ancient chinese could not have anticipated out 'methods', they certainly understood the 'need' (as far as knowing the time is concerned). Some would argue (examining the Cosmic Engine) that the ancients understood the Physics even better than we do today. Their clock was based upon celestial movements (the planets, stars, moon). Absolutely extraordinary. It's certainly not a wristwatch or an atomic clock, but it was a method available to them that satisfied their need (to know what time it was) consistent with Physics.

I guess what I'm saying is that over the next 1000-100,000,000 years, our methods may advance, but that doesn't mean that we can't necessarily solve the 'need' here in the present day, as long as we have an accurate grasp of the involved physics.

Great post to keep me thinking about it the next morning BattleStarGallactica!

-WFA

Edited for Spelling

[edit on 12-4-2008 by WitnessFromAfar]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A Pearl Necklace... much better analogy and simple too.

Such chains are to be aligned within nanotubes made out of whatever material found to be the least reactive to the element you are using as your drive mechanism. These nanotubes are to be converted to plasma...

This is just one way of manipulating the mass of the elements contained within... and even then only in a very specific type of complex drive system.

Monoatomic elements will react and unpredictably, and when you are dealing with them in an individual capacity they cannot be reliably used for any such system here On earth.

These structures (dealt with in this capacity) are far from "Noble", and can only be applied with efficacy in one environment.

Imagine this... You string 13 baseballs together and attempt to throw them all by heaving the first one with all your might... after all 13 balls is hard to throw, and they are strung together, so it is quite hard for you to manage them... in this environment..

Suppose however, when you threw that first baseball in the chain of balls, the rest got up and followed it BUT you only had to exert enough force to throw the ONE baseball...

Similar things can happen... with monoatomic elements BUT only under certain conditions.

This is an simplified analogy, but it is important for us Humans to know such information.

[edit on 12-4-2008 by doctormcauley]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Plasma? Nanotubes?

This guy must be nuts... but just how do you think this "chain" of monoatomic elements would reconfigure themselves in a plasma environment?

Answer this and you'll know why Plasma is preferable to ANY kind of metal vapours, gases or otherwise.

Magnets do play a role, just not primarily for containment.

Think beside the box on this one guys...

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctormcauley
A Pearl Necklace... much better analogy and simple too.
[edited]
Suppose however, when you threw that first baseball in the chain of balls, the rest got up and followed it BUT you only had to exert enough force to throw the ONE baseball...

Similar things can happen... with monoatomic elements BUT only under certain conditions.

This is an simplified analogy, but it is important for us Humans to know such information.

[edit on 12-4-2008 by doctormcauley]

OK, so you remove gravity, and all the balls start off heated = less mass.
These conditions you refer to make them easier to throw. As the balls traverse they undergoe a "mass gradient" wherby the first ball gains mass (=momentum + inertia) by cooling down, and some how pulling all other balls behind it into a similar state. You have a chain reation causing all balls to move forward.
You also have a "wave guide" in the form of an electrified plasma steering this configuration. You still need to solve two problems:
ORMUS material is scarce, so you either:
1) cool it back down and send it through the tube again - efficiently
2) let it exit the tube and run out of ORMUS material (eventually)

I follow your line of thinking, but invention does not equal implementation.
How do you implement all of this into a workable device?
I am really interested in your concept, and thank you for your contribution!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join