It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US war robots in Iraq 'turned guns' on fleshy comrades

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

US war robots in Iraq 'turned guns' on fleshy comrades

www.theregister.co.uk

Ground-crawling US war robots armed with machine guns, deployed to fight in Iraq last year, reportedly turned on their fleshy masters almost at once. The rebellious machine warriors have been retired from combat pending upgrades.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Is the film Terminator actually starting to come true? with all of the Uav's and other computerised weapons systems that are being developed just what safeguards are being put into place to stop them turning on the human race as their AI systems become more developed?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Why do I find this so funny? I just had this mental image of the on-switch being pressed and little machine-gun armed robots squawking "kill the humans, kill the humans" turning and hosing down the assembled friendlies

They're not running Vista are they?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Wow. That will certainly make them think twice about utilising robots like this again for a while!!

I think the issue is that they haven't developed enough AI at the moment. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable 'too much'.

If i'd been one of those soldier i've have well needed new underwear!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Nice find there, solidshot. Very scary. I have no intention of diverting this thread, but think about that "ground-crawling" machine on top of the "Big Dog" robot instead. Yikes!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

BTW solid... hilarious avatar

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I think they've already developed way too much AI.
Just the fact that these robots are killing people is enough.

Any 'friendly' forces can cry that these things are to save ;lives in the long term... but whose lives?

The lives of the enemies citizens, who through the acts of the enemies waring government are the actual enemy as every citizen may be a possible soldier against you later?
The lives of your countrymen and of your soldiers who fight for somebody elses ideas and beliefs.

Any use of robots in war is totally unacceptable in my books. It negates the idea of war and the principle behind it.

The side who may actually be right in their thinking and way they live will be mass murdered by the side that has robots to fight with instead of humans.
In that scenario, evil overcomes the good.
And this outcome is down to finances and technological advances. Nothing more.

If wars were decided by a combat of words rather than weapons, then the voices of the people may be heard and everyones life may be saved. Not one drop of blood spilt.

I recently wrote a thread on the future of war which includes this very nature of fighting.
www.abovepolitics.com...

If all sides had robots to fight with, nobody would win.
Maybe the robots AI systems would wake up to this fact and ultimately turn on their 'masters'

We will be the designers of our own downfall. We've already made a major mess of the planet and now we want to make AI controlled battle bots to do all the dirty work for us so the rest of us can carry on working and paying the bills and eventually be moved into any enemy teritory that has been systematically cleared of its peoples so that we can gain more profit from it.

Whole thing makes me shudder at the possibility of where this has gone, is going and the final outcome.

Maybe a terminator style future mixed with the matrix is on the cards for all mankind.
Would only serve us right.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Relax!!!

I have my gold plated Tin Whistle....

Get 'er done !!

Mungo

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

You make some excellent points - the use of robots in warfare is synonymous with the idea that the majority of Humans aren't actually involved in fighting for their way of life anymore, instead we have drones to do it for us.

This is one clear step towards armies of cloned super-soldiers, in my estimation.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Yes its true. They are building everything from the movie. The skynet satellites are almost complete right now. They are using the name SkyNet. The land drones are much different in shape but similar, and the Predator drones are the first to be fielded but the have already built the heavier Hunter Killers which is the name they are also using for those as well. Those carry half a ton of bombs and missles and look something like the movies version.

It is done. Its not coming the actual drones are here for the most part.

Strange days indeed.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Was this really a malfunction or a case of the robots understanding the injustice of it all? all i can say is its not going to get better because the US military never learn do they? if its groovy and scary then its cool by them, to the rest of us its insanity.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

lol, you're saying their A.I is so advanced they actually want to stop the U.S forces from completing their mission?

That's insane!

edit; Oh!

100 ATS points mark hit!

new account solidified.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Coem on guys, these bots are not even remotely close to those that were displayed in T3, which were like the first terminators.

they are pretty much packbots mounted with guns. You can see them on liveleak, or youtube if you search. I am sure it was nothing more than a programming error, an unnacceptable one of course. Perhaps if they equipped our soldiers with a particular signal beacon only recognizeable by the robots detection sensors, this problem could be patched up quickly and the bots back in service. Should not completely rule them out for battle.

These bots are excellent stealth assassins in a battle where the enemy is dug in deep.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Lol.

Don't get ahead of yourselves guys, theres no AI in combat yet.

All that happened was the FoF system malfunctioned. Hence, everything moving became a target. If you had a few next to each other, they would likely be aiming at each other aswell.

They say a machine is only as good as those who made it.
I've seen some of the machines the US military are supposively using, and well, I didn't realize the US military hired retards for roboticists.

A: Physical design is awful. Theres no stabilization to the gun mounts, the sensor array is restrictive, it can't aim and move at the same time due to the design of the mount.
B: Clearly, due to recent events, the programmers were no better. They couldn't even get a target acquisition system to work properly.

Quite frankly, I could have designed them a better fighting machine by myself.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Can you see the Ghost In The Machine?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Perhaps if they equipped our soldiers with a particular signal beacon only recognizeable by the robots detection sensors,

These bots are excellent stealth assassins in a battle where the enemy is dug in deep.

I guess that means the implanted microchips then?
Anyone who does not have a microchip is a terrorist and therefore an enemy combatant and should be hunted down and exterminated.

Even more reason to scare you into getting chipped... if you're not tagged you're gonna die as you're against the system.

A bot can sure as heck out run you and there'll be a whole lot more of them out there so there will eventually be no place to hide. Even if you are dug in well.

You can imagine a whole plethora of new designs adapted to enable the hunter/killers to do their job.
Mole bots.
service/repair bots
hunter killers
scanning bots
explosive deployment bots

You wont need fighter aircraft in the end. If there's trouble, you'll just see a few space launched shock troop bots land a few feet away from you ready to dispense instant justice.

No implanted microchip means you're the enemy, prepare to die.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
There is no reason that it has to be a chip. We can even pass legislation banning the chips if need be. there goes that whole scenario now does not it?

Such sensationalizing. It could easily be a bracelet, a chip on the dogtags, something in the boots. but honestly if I were a soldier in combat right now, I would take a temporary chip inside of me, in the event I may be captured. It is not as if the chip is buried into your spinal column or into the brain. Right under the skin makes it easy to put in and take out.

It can be removve upon service completion. I think the internal chip implant should be optional though. Some may not want it for religous reasons, and some may want it in the event they are captured and wish to be identified correctly. Of course none of our bots are really suited for any kind of inflitration and rescue operations yet.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by Nammu

I think they've already developed way too much AI.
Just the fact that these robots are killing people is enough.

Any 'friendly' forces can cry that these things are to save ;lives in the long term... but whose lives?

The lives of the enemies citizens, who through the acts of the enemies waring government are the actual enemy as every citizen may be a possible soldier against you later?
The lives of your countrymen and of your soldiers who fight for somebody elses ideas and beliefs.

Well the lives of our men . . . if we are at war, I would rather see the other soldiers die than our own.

Any use of robots in war is totally unacceptable in my books. It negates the idea of war and the principle behind it.
The times change. The bows and arrows gave way to muskets. Muskets gave way to semi-automatics, which gave way to fully automatics. Horses gave way to tanks. No one ever thought that aerial fights would ever be reality. Then someone got the bright idea to drop bricks from a biplane, and mount a gun for strafing runs. Now we are going faster than the speed of sound.

The point is, there are always advances, and most technology advances because of war. There is no right or wrong way to fight a war, as long as you win. Everything goes in love and war.

The side who may actually be right in their thinking and way they live will be mass murdered by the side that has robots to fight with instead of humans.
In that scenario, evil overcomes the good.
And this outcome is down to finances and technological advances. Nothing more.

(Bold added by me)

Welcome to reality. It has always been this way, and always will.

If wars were decided by a combat of words rather than weapons, then the voices of the people may be heard and everyones life may be saved. Not one drop of blood spilt.

Sorry . . . this is not a perfect Utopian world. Again, welcome to reality.

I recently wrote a thread on the future of war which includes this very nature of fighting.
www.abovepolitics.com...

If all sides had robots to fight with, nobody would win.
Maybe the robots AI systems would wake up to this fact and ultimately turn on their 'masters'

Robots can't wake up. Does your computer wake up? Does your computer turn on you and attack you? A robot with AI is just an animated computer. It carries out the programs that are installed.

We will be the designers of our own downfall. We've already made a major mess of the planet and now we want to make AI controlled battle bots to do all the dirty work for us so the rest of us can carry on working and paying the bills and eventually be moved into any enemy teritory that has been systematically cleared of its peoples so that we can gain more profit from it.

Whole thing makes me shudder at the possibility of where this has gone, is going and the final outcome.

Maybe a terminator style future mixed with the matrix is on the cards for all mankind.
Would only serve us right.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
no matter what bots they make, they will always be exploited.... i'd just built my base with electromagnetic entrances an exits..... with emp guns....

hey if the military is using it.... its available for download LOL ......

honestly thoe... these are robots... ai or not, they are metal tin cans walking shooting an failing.... noting a good tree trunk to the hull or a Drilled hole an water cant handle....

Robots are just as vulnerable as human... just in different ways an even thoe stem down to basics of humans as well.... So Bring it on... ever see junkyard wars..... imagine what you can build with some broken capture machine gun bots.....

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Its not AI. All the unmanned vehicles are remote control. Still have to have a person controlling it to get it operated.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Looks like even the Yank robots are adept at friendly fire!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join