It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall of silence broken at state's Muslim public school

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Did you look at sources posted earlier, and then reposted by me just a few moments ago? Their academic scores are rather well, and overall the school ranks in the top five out of the entire district. Also that their rate of reduced and free lunches is over 84% shows that these are mostly low income children. That is the exact purpose of charter schools. Parents who either cant afford private school, or believe that public school is failing their4 kids (and many are) are given the grant to bring them to a more structured environment.

the forced prayers no doubt is quite horrible IMO. That is some pretty screwed up ish. that should be investigated and handled appropriately.

but the scores speak fro themselves. The elementry scores are exceptional, they tend to dip pretty bad in the fifth and sixth grades, but by the seventh they achieve close to perfect scores. The definetly restrict forced prayers if it indeed is occuring. The parents are probably happy that thes students are just recieving a fighting chance now in the education arena.

the ethnicity of the school is overwhelmingly one sided however. You may be surprised, take a look for yourself. Review my post and examine the stats.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

So lets just clear this up. Are you saying that it's because of religion that they have ok scores? Not the fact that it's a charter school where generally children do perform better because they have concerned parents with the foresight to put them in a charter school rather than a normal public school. No must be the religion, and their scores arn't even that good.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

I still dont understand what the education scores have to do with ANYTHING.

I actually think their rating is LOW. I mean, if I were looking into a school - I certainly wouldnt choose a school that has a rating of 5 or below. But more 7 and above.

Again, what does this have to do with them operating a religious school under the guise of public school?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
My point is as a charter school, it is doing what is supposed to be done. As you saw, I clearly stated that if there was forced prayer, the law needs to intervene.

However, otuside of forced prayer, teaching a particular religion is not necessarily against the rules in a charter school. I agree the forced prayers need to stop, but it is not necessary for them to stop teaching about the Quran as far as the ruels for charter go.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

It's a publically funded school, are you paying attention to this thread? Tax payers are paying for this. state law says that publicly funded schools are non-sectarian. School-sponsored prayer in public schools was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1962. It is against the law to have publicly posted religious materials. Which were apparantely all over the place and this stuff wasn't going on after school in some program. According to the substitute, they were teaching the Quran as part of their curiculum. In responce the director says, oh no, we conveniantly just happened to let the students out early that day for no reason(was not a holliday) and they ofcourse all elected to stay and be taught the Quran. And there Mediocre scores are no justification. Do you really believe the reason they not once in their schools history put up the American Flag was not racially/nationaly motivated? Do you believe that? Might give me an insight in your level of intelligence.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Sheeper]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Can we at least agree in here that whatever the rules are regarding religion in schools, they ought to apply equally to everyone?

That's the central issue IMHO.

The rules should be the same for everyone, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist...
It doesn't matter what the religion in question is.

IMHO that's the only properly American way to do it.

I think some allowances for culture are necessary.
Kids in a mostly Jewish school should at least have the option of getting a Kosher school lunch, otherwise, they probably aren't going to get to eat lunch at all. Similarly if they serve Halal food in the school cafeteria in a mostly Muslim school, IMHO that's no big deal.

Muslim kids have to eat lunch too

On the other hand, teaching the Koran during classes at a public school is totally inappropriate, just as teaching the New or Old Testament would be.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If the school is indeed a religious school, then it does need to stop recieving tax payer money. It's deceptive to do so.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I wonder what this thread would look like if the school was strictly Christian?
Why isn't this on the front page of CNN.com or on all of the news channels? Where is the lawsuit from the ACLU?

IMO, when liberal/progressives say "separation of church and state" what they really mean is separation of the Christian church and state.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
WAKE UP PEOPLE!! This is the new terrorist training camps! Teach them while they are young to hate America. Today they play ball, tomorrow they load the balls with bombs! Where is DHS?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Have you guys heard of this new trend in western civilizations called "Honor Killing" where they will kill their own children if they date an "infidel" such as myself. I was watching the news covering one of these cases and the Lib on the TV kept saying it was an "Honor Killing" and would go on to give the reason the father had done it, it was almost as if she was giving the guy reason and in a way a crazy form of justification because it was "religious law". She was not so much as condoning it as she was justifying it. Call it like it is, murder in the name of racial intollerence, screw whatever they call it, we ourselves use to stone people to death for similar "betrayals". There comes a time where all cultures should be expected to evolve.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by blackbox

Not only should the charter be pulled, but everyone in the school Administration should be arrested. This was fraud, or at the very least, theft by conversion.

It's tax time, if everyone in the state refused to pay their state taxes on the grounds that they would thereby be guilty of contributing to misappropriation of funds, I bet someone would make sure heads rolled.

This is exactly what I thought, that it was a Muslim school established by a Mosque but claimed to be public and got public funds to operate..

Ironic that this was not noticed before.. no public school is allowed to be on the same grounds or connected to any religious structure of any kind in order to receive funding.

For example.. in Christian and Jewish schools, and Muslim of course, public funded reading and language programs are housed in a separate building that is in no way connected to the main building of the school.. if it where the school would have to pay the operating costs.

I think not only should they be charged with fraud but also pay all backed public funding through the Mosque's own treasury.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by doit
WAKE UP PEOPLE!! This is the new terrorist training camps! Teach them while they are young to hate America. Today they play ball, tomorrow they load the balls with bombs! Where is DHS?

Just because they are religious to a certain dogma does not mean they are Terrrrrist....

You cannot stop people from sending kids to religious schools.. I wish more parents did, to what ever religion they are, because kids who attend religious schools honestly tend to be more well rounded, educated and better ethics.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by doit

There have been (apparently accurate) complaints that this was being run as a religious school, and thus improperly funded.

I haven't seen any accusations, on the other hand, that this school was teaching any kind of radical Islamist dogma. Most religious Muslims don't, despite what you'll read in WND.

Not all Muslims, even devout ones, are fanatics.
I've met quite a few devout Muslims, and most of them hate the radicals, and would like to see OBL's head on a platter, just like most Americans. I used to have long conversations with it with a Pakistani Sufi Muslim whose local store I frequented, and his son who grew up in the US. They hate the Islamist terrorists more so if anything, because they feel the fanatics give their religion a bad name.

Just like how most Christians feel about Rev. Fred Phelps and the like.

Anyway, the issue here is not Islam, but separation of Church and State.

And that should apply equally to every faith.

It's best to keep government out of private things like religious belief.

Do you want the government telling you how you should worship?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Here is a little more information that came out today. The TV reporter who investigated this after it was reported in the paper wrote in her blog some information that she didn't have time to really put in there. Read the article, but it's the last 2 paragraphs that got me. It's almost like a slap in the face if it wasn't a weather-proof flag.

TIZA Academy -- some extras that didn't make the stories we aired

However, I thought that it was ironic that on that day, it was raining and snowing in Inver Grove Heights.

Flag etiquette, according to The Department of Veterans Affairs, stipulates: "The flag shold not be subject to weather damage, so it should not be displayed during rain, snow and wind storms unless it is an all-weather flag."

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I agree, because this definetly would not fly if anything, and I mean anything pertained to Christian beliefs!! They need to go private and fund themselves privately!! This truly cannot be allowed. It really floors me how people from other countries come into America and think they have more rights than us who were truly born and bred here!!

What is this world coming to???

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You know, it's really amusing to me, reading through all of this...

It is illegal for the school to recieve public funding, so we're ca;lling for it to be privately funded.

So, when it is privately funded, then the next ATS post will be about it being a "Privately Funded Terrorist training school!"

Too damn amusing, IMHO. Yeah, I think they should get their public funding cut IMMEDIATELY, but I see a bad repercussion possible if it gets put into the big media. I'm sure, if I were Muslim, I would raise a stink about it, and the "American Injustices towards the Muslim religion" if I was ignorant of American laws and saw them closing a Muslim school. I just hope they cut funding and keep it quiet enough. I'm sure they will.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

No, we're just pointing out that a publicly funded religious school is against the law and apparently the constitution.

If someone can offer any factual evidence that it is also a terrorist training school - which none have so far - then I'm sure most of us
will also have major problems with that. Worrying about that at this point is premature IMO.

[edit on 4/14/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Excuse me but I believe no one here has asked a very important question.

Are all the children Muslem?

If they are then they have been filtered. That put's it beyond fraud into conspiracy.

If they are not then innocent children are being forced into Islam in America.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

How does it feel knowing everything you say is biased?

Even a cut and dry situation like this has to be blamed on liberals.

Go watch Fox News and leave everyone else alone.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by centurion1211

How does it feel knowing everything you say is biased?

So if it doesn't agree with you it's bias? An alternative explanation could also be that I was simply correct, but a lib often sees (and cries) "bias" when others disagree with them.

Even a cut and dry situation like this has to be blamed on liberals.

I'll entertain alternative explanations as to why issues like this seem to always arise in liberal states or localities, but not in conservative areas. Waiting ...

Go watch Fox News and leave everyone else alone.

Is this where I get to also suggest that you should then go watch CNN, or listen to (what's left of) Air America, or read the NY Times, LA Times, or Washington Post?
BTW, I read many sources of news in print and on the internet (but not al-jazeera).

Bottom line, if you want to check for bias, first check your mirror ...

[edit on 4/15/2008 by centurion1211]

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join