It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall of silence broken at state's Muslim public school

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Charter school makes changes after Islamic accusation

Since 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS investigated TIZA Academy in Inver Grove Heights on Wednesday, the school's attorney said several changes would be made.

The most noticeable -- an American flag now flies over the school for the first time since the academy was founded in 2003.

Yes, the local meadia has been covering this pretty much since it broke the news. Above is a link to what just came out today. Notice as well that there is a police car there as well as shown in one of the pictures. More than likely to protect the school from any threats over the next few days or weeks.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Spoontoad]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
After re-reading the article again, I find it odd that the lawyer states the flag law doesn't apply to charter schools?
Is that true? I guess I never thought about that until just now.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by fvk12
not to focus on the messenger but the 'reporter' Katherine Kersten is a unrelenting Right Winger who's not a reporter but a frequent contributor to the Op Ed page... she has had the honor of being "Minnesota's worst paid writer"
www.mediatransparency.org...

But since you are, what if she's got the story nailed this time? What do your veiled innuendos and attempts at deflection say to that?

no veiled innuendos... shes a proven hack op-ed fact mangler.

Did you read the whole thread? Guess not because earlier posts said it has been in the local news there for awhile.

Oh and while we are again trying to act as a smokescreen and apologist for the illegal activities of this school, what has that to do with this story except give us another rendition of the old excuse often given by libs when caught - "well, the other guy did it, too".
As I said earlier, wrong is wrong - whoever is doing it.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by centurion1211]

glad calling sources into question on ATS is considered being an 'apologist'.
Im a resident of Mpls, just speaking from the knowledge that he lady your basing your information off of was director of the Center for the American Experiment for multiple years,
and the Bush budget factoid is just to put some other perspective on it.

but, hey looks like you got it all figured out.

please point out where i 'apologized' for the Charter School.
or are you just slinging rhetoric.

dont bother actually, if you want to get bent out of shape, we can talk about the Muslim Cabbies here trying to validate denying fare to people they said were drunk or carrying liquor from the airport.
that was some BS.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
There's gonna come a day when the generation of self apologetic politically correct libs will be washed away like the disease they are and in their place I fear will be the pro american/christian versian of extremists. I can imagine these people strapping bombs to themselves and blowing up Mosques and places like this school. There will never be peace between non muslims and muslims, the only guise we have of "peace" is because of all the politically correct libs feverishly hushing the non pc conservatives everytime they open their mouths.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fvk12

Dude......Why does it matter who she is, she wasn't lying to us, she didn't base it solely because there were muslims there. She could be the most evil tramp in the world, I'm still thankful she uncovered this. This stuff is very dangerous to our society, it just causes more lines to split and more unrest in the conservative wing of America. He's right you do sound like an apologizer.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
church and state, keep them separate. All churches! this will be one hell of a double standard if they do not handle it properly I.E. cut the crap or we cut your funding. I don't wan't prayer to allah, jesus, buddha or any other gods in schools funded with taxpayer dollars.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
and as far as local media covering this..
neither of the news outlets i view had boo about it.
wcco.com
kare11.com

. cue decrying liberal media.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by fvk12

The media doesn't like to step on toes, they usually try to stay away or atleast be as diplomatic as possible. Typical Liberal Media right on Cue.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Sheeper]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper
reply to post by fvk12

The media doesn't like to step on toes, they usually try to stay away or atleast be as diplomatic as possible. Typical Liberal Media right on Cue.

Sorry I don't know if I understand exactly what you mean by that, by diplomatic do you mean voicing that they don't want any prayer in schools or do you mean that the atheists will not do anything because they are muslims. I am an atheist and I can assure you I frown on this every bit as much as christain prayer in schools ar any religious denomination and I want it stopped!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by fvk12
and as far as local media covering this..
neither of the news outlets i view had boo about it.
wcco.com
kare11.com

. cue decrying liberal media.

Well, Channel 5 (ABC) is, if you click on the link at the top of this thread page that I posted. Channel 5 is pretty dang good at reporting the news, and at least mentioning things most others in this area wont. Maybe that's why they have a 1 hour newscast instead of the 1/2 hour norm.

Edit: Kare 11 & WCCO both had it on their websites before? Wonder why it's not there now.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Spoontoad]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I don't mean anything by it, just that the media is always diplomatic towards issues of a sensitive nature. I don't even know what your talking about atheists for. I see it as the media is filled with a bunch of pussies that arn't doing the public any justice by being so lax on important issues. I want to see anger, not smiles and reasoning.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well I do not necessarily believe they shoud bring prayer back into school, but a little more education into faith, most of the major faiths, not just one or the other, would be quite beneficial to the american youth.

Per current laws of the United states, this school should definetly have its public funding repealed. If those who pay their property taxes dont midn having their money served here, they would better off be donating to the school then and not have others who are against it pay as well.

On another note, who wants to bet their academic grades are above average compared to most of the local public schools, as well as having a lower rate of disciplinary issues and referrals?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

On another note, who wants to bet their academic grades are above average compared to most of the local public schools, as well as having a lower rate of disciplinary issues and referrals?

Not sure why makes you draw that conclusion...but nonetheless.....here are some stats on this school, for whatever its worth
:

www.greatschools.net...

[edit on 11-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Hrm.

I'm as liberal as liberal can be I would guess. I really don't care what anyone does as long as it doesn't hurt me, my family, or others physically (of course there's some caveats, but I digress).

Despite my stance in generalities, I think religion has little place in education ... unless ...

There are other religious classes offered. Does this school OFFER religious classes/ceremonies/teachings or are they MANDATORY. Likewise, is enrollment public and guaranteed or is there some sort of selection process. I would imagine a charter school can not have the latter, but I see little info about this in any articles.

If the school indeed OFFERS classes and teachings in any religion but somehow only has students who follow a certain religion, then honestly ... I think this is not a big deal (granted to take this step in logic one would have to assume that not one person in the school has any personal leanings towards another religion). Put it this way ... if I didn't want my child to go to this school yet I had a choice I really wouldn't care much. Then again I don't really follow a religion per se ....

Again, I know little about this charter business and most references I see are murky at best. Anyone have any more insight?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
This is exactly why ALL religion needs to be banned from ALL schools. Yes, Christians that includes you, I'm not going to have any sympathy for the Christians regarding this Islamic school... why? Because the Christians are destroying the education system with this creationism stuff.

Hmmmmm.... Please let me get back to you on this after I watch the new Documentary 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed' . It would seem to me that if you are going to say that we should keep an open mind in regards to science, then eliminating the idea that a creator might exist is ridiculous. Where is your proof that creationism is not correct? seriously. Not what these pastors say is creation. What a "creator", or God might create, and how, is a bigger mystery than whether or not He exists in the first place. When did science decide that a HUGE MAJORITY of the worlds population was delusional?
Half the crap these scientists (not all, mind you, just the Libs) write, talk and teach about are just pure speculation. They have to do the bulk of their research first. Dark Matter. I would have loved to sit in on the circle that thought that one up.
God or god, or no god at all, is too important an idea to just go and dismiss it as a complete joke.
And if (i believe yes) God was the real creator, then all of the laws of science are His. (and they govern all other things.)
Thanks, I am imperfect in every way. Thought I should beat you to it.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well look at that, according to that source, my assertion was correct. Of the top 15 public elementry schools closest to this, they rank fifth (tied with two others) while having the highest student to teacher ratio if all them them. private school statistics are not shown.

When comparing actual math scores in 3rd grade standasrdized, they are tied in first. The reading scores are definetly not to brag about though.

In any case, by grace 7, their last grade offered, they score a 10, so they are probably doing something right in the end. It also states that this school's pupils are 84% qualified for free or reduced lunch, leading me to beleive that many of the families are on the lower income bracket.

The 5th and sixth grade ratings are horrible, but it seems by grade 7 they are at a 10, so something must have happened within those two years that helepd the students dearly.

According to the definition a charter school is exempt from certain regulations and as a result are expected to produce certain better results. however, the definition by the Department of education also states that steh school can be non-sectarian, so they may not actually be breaking any rules after all.

It may very well be likely that there are hunreds of schools like this under Christian and Jewish or any other denomination across the entire country. So accordsing to the department of education definition, it does not seem this school is actualyl breaking any laws. And if that is the case, then I whole-heartedly support the program. I still think they should diversify their religous teachings, but according to the government they dont have too.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fvk12

The "hack" reporter is featured on the OP-Ed page of the Minneapolis RedStar Tribune, the lefty news rad of Minnesota...the libs are going crazy writing there own letters to the editor about her. I say let her write, she's on to something bug here.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
the cafeteria serves halal food - permissible under Islamic law

on this side subject...

I would prefer to send my child to a charter school where "halal" or "kosher" food was served...

It seems to me this would be better for the health of our children than the conagra/sysco/dupont/monsanto/additive ridden/artificially modified "food stuffs" that are sold to our kids in most public school cafeterias.

pink ice cream, hormone meat, monsanto fries, and a diet coke,

and don't forget your high fructose chocolate hormone milk,

do you need ritalin?

Sri Oracle

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Sorry, fat finger typos, she is on to something BIG here,a nd the RedStar Tribune is the lefty news Rag in Minneapolis..

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Most of the posts I have seen on here have been about the legality running a religious school on terms that it is supposed to be public. That is a major problem, but I fear for the children. Think about it. Let's say you are a Christian and you go home and study the bible the way Christians do. Then you go to school and they teach you different things. You go home and tell your parents that your bible is "wrong" and you are screwed. Say you're and Athiest. You were raised believing that all things happen naturally and there is no higher power other than government officials and such. There is no true superior being. You go to school and every Friday you are forced to get down on your knees and pray? I think that these kids need more attention than the school's unlawfullness. That should just be a small open and close case, but depending on how long this has been going on, these kids are practically being brainwashed in a place that is thought to be safe and not religion based. Hopefully everything goes well in these kids' life and they are not permanently damaged from all the mixed messages.

Deny Ignorance.

DTOX X

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join