It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

government contracts to build military housing in US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I was told ARI Construction out of Watkinsville, Georgia has a 10 year government contract to build military housing in Georgia, Florida, Texas and New York. I though this to be unusual. A local has hired on and said he would be making $10,000/month, monday through friday and home on the weekends.

why would our government be building military housing and at such great pay.

www.indeed.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

Well our military people need somewhere to live. Military barracks get old, need to be re-habbed, rebuilt, same with military family housing. Alot of it is simply old, some like where i lived in San Diego (96-2000) was WWII era. That housing was tore down a couple years ago, and brand new housing was built. You can figure the same is happening with this contract.

Now the $10,000/month, is very high, seems a little hokey to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

$10,000 hokey? No way not when our government is paying for it and my friend who has accepted the position and taking his broher-in-law w/him as a nailer. check out the position for yourself. i provided a link to the ad.

I do realize we have lots of antiquated military housing; however, i find the timing of this project too coincidental to economical and social unrest in this country and the possibility of civil choas.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Now the $10,000/month, is very high, seems a little hokey to me.

Actually 10k a month is about right.

Lets just say the following for the sake of arguing:
Federal Prevailing wage =$45hr
total pay for 50hrs worked per week (including overtime)= $2,475
plus $50 a day per diem=$250
TOTAL WEEKLY PAY = $2,725

TOTAL MONTHLY PAY= $10,900

I've made at least that much on my last job...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
He may think he will get $10,000 a month - and very well may - if everything stays on track.

The military gives out contracts as a lump sum / completion date final basis. That is, it is NOT a per hour/month/year rate - it is a per PROJECT rate.

If the job is done on time ( lets say estimated at 6 months ) you will get your $60k - it works out to be $10k per month.

Now lets say the job takes 10 months because of material handlers strikes or what have you, now you will make $6K a month.

Dorian Soran

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

you bring some interesting views about the Why.

i consider the increased housing projects in those states
(Ga, Fla, Tx, NY) as sounding like paybacks to me...

Fla & Texas are the stomping ground turf of two of the Bush sons,
the Ga & NY growth probably has different but similar reasons for being selected as sites for new or replacement military housing.
(i thought Ft Dix was in NJ & that's where new housing would be needed)

There's another reason, maybe the volunteer military will be offering above medium housing for new enlistees as an incentive, so that families would be in a sanctuary while the active duty member of the family was on their 1 year tour of duty in the mideast or central asia.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Well, a lot of the family housing on bases is VERY old, like built in the WW2 era. It is way past time to replace it. I just moved out of one of the brand new built houses on a military base, about 5 months ago. It was actually very very nice.

I dont think 2500 bucks a week to build a ton of nice, new houses is a huge amount of money. Now the real question for you friend is, is the 10K a month just for his pay, or does he have to pay all his employees out of that, and all that other jazz?

Hell, my brother installs decals at gas stations and makes about 20,000(yes 20K) a month....

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
I dont think 2500 bucks a week to build a ton of nice, new houses is a huge amount of money. Now the real question for you friend is, is the 10K a month just for his pay, or does he have to pay all his employees out of that, and all that other jazz?
ARI Construction hired my Rick and is paying him $2,300/week. I'll have to ask him about expenses. it was too good for him to pass up. ARI Construction has a 10-yr contract. hell, it just went into the paper last week and they are headed for Savannah next week.

moving pretty darn fast to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
One of this contracts is in our military base in my neck of the woods in GA, they demolished the old base housing in the base and now is to be rebuild, gave the out of Base military housing to the city.

I can only imagine that as the troops move back from their duties in the middle east is going to be a wave of housing needs.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
One of this contracts is in our military base in my neck of the woods in GA, they demolished the old base housing in the base and now is to be rebuild, gave the out of Base military housing to the city.

I can only imagine that as the troops move back from their duties in the middle east is going to be a wave of housing needs.

You can always live off base....no one forces you to live in base quarters once you have been in for a while. Young, single troops have to live in the dorms for a while, but that is a good thing.

They give us money every month for housing.....here in Florida, mine is 1,200 bucks a month. Kinda wish that I would have lived off base now, because I could have gotten a much nicer house for that amount every month.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

Yes my husband and I lived out of base after he became a staff NCO back in the days as thats when we were able to afford it with the housing allowance.

Most of the base housing in many bases are very old and do not meet modern needs.

When I moved with my husband in Albany GA they offer us base housing in the ones that have been given to the city, while the remodeling of the base housing was ongoing at the time, 11 years ago.

We decided that it was better to live out on our own at the time, now the housing in the military base are to be build from the ground up with all the modernization money can afford.

Is about time.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dorian Soran
He may think he will get $10,000 a month - and very well may - if everything stays on track.

The military gives out contracts as a lump sum / completion date final basis. That is, it is NOT a per hour/month/year rate - it is a per PROJECT rate.

If the job is done on time ( lets say estimated at 6 months ) you will get your $60k - it works out to be $10k per month.

Now lets say the job takes 10 months because of material handlers strikes or what have you, now you will make $6K a month.

Dorian Soran

Sounds to me like the construction company that hired Rick has the contract and he is an employee of theirs. Employees work fo hourly wages here in the U.S.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
How is this unusual. Most military housing is built by "civilians". I know there are TONS of new military housing being built all over the US - not just in the US - because most existing military housing is so old and falling apart. Like where I live right now. I am a military wife and I reside in military housing on a military base.

And this happens every year all over the country. It isnt anything new. You are just hearing about it locally because that is where you live.

We have MAJOR construction going on, on my current base right now. And the next base im going to, just got down building over 300 new homes...with more on the way.

Again, has nothing to do with anything but need.

Im not sure what the conspiracy is here?

[edit on 11-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

i'm sure you wouldn't. all the posts i've read from you always seems to go against any conspiracy dealing w/the military. are you closely connected to the military?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

LOL.
Yes, I just said how im connected.

Im just curious where the conspiracy is in the military builidng new and proper housing for its military members?

Do you believe the military should not provide housing for its military members?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
At first glance the money seems too good. Better than the overpaid framers in my area. Union carpenters aren't over $40 an hour, yet.

Doesn't this whole area have a history of hurricane damage, so workers are in demand. Construction work in general would be going on region wide, I would expect.

Only experience I have with military housing was Ft. Riley project in the early 90's. Almost 300 units (duplexes) replacing basically 280 individual units.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

the construction of the military housing is not unusual and i realize the current housing is old. i suppose the government could print a few more dollars to add to the trillions stolen. not to forget the housing needed for all the newly drafted, should this become a reality, and all the black opps and foreign troops needed to over throw the gov'ment, yup, well, okie dokie ok alrighty then now.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Also, I heard a report of a large number of single and multi family home building permits being applied for by a contractor with ties to overseas military construction firms, in Gilmer, Fannin, and White counties, but a Google search I did last week turned up nothing noteworthy to support this. These North GA counties, coincidentally, either border or have large areas of them in the Chattahoochee Ntl Forest
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

there is something going on.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If they dont build new houses....then they are going to pay the military members BAH anyways. Right now, where I live, our BAH is over $1700 a month! Where I am moving to, it will be $1300 a month.

That is part of the military member's salary....housing allowance. So when a military member lives on base, that BAH money goes back to pay for the military housing we live in.

There are MANY bases, that it would be a necessity for military members to live on base - depending on location and job. For example. Our base is out in the middle of nowhere - seriously. And there are many people who are literally on call 24/7 that need to be able to get to work in a short amount of time. So living in base housing is a must for many people.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Seriously, what do you think is going on?

Im really trying to understand what the consiracy is that you see.

I suppose if you saw all the construction that I see everyday on this base, that might freak you out a bit. I mean, there is a ton. All being done by civilian contractors.

On top of that, most base housing is going privatized. Meaning, it is being run by civilians. Seems to me that is an ideal situation. People need jobs, the military is giving them jobs!

[edit on 11-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

<<   2 >>

join