It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agnostics...What does being agnostic mean to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm Agnostic.

when people ask me why I'm Agnostic and not a theist or Atheist I tell them it's because i don't know anything. I really don't. What do I know? I know i'm here..I know I have things to do..but i don't know why i'm here, how i got here or what it really is i'm supposed to be doing here. and i definatley don't know what's going to happen after.

I consider myself an agnostic because i except the fact that i really don't know anything. theres as much evidence that supports proof in a higher power then there isn't. does that make sense? Like it's 50/50... i hope that made sense because i feel thats true.

one more quick thing. isn't this like the most rational way of thinking? i mean i'm sure theres christians or catholics or whatever out there that have had visions or god or jesus talk to them so they're beliefs are set. but if you haven't had god or jesus talk to you and you're a christian or a catholic or whatever do you seriously think your religion is how it is? can you seriously honestly say that your religion is the truth? i find that hard to stomach.

cheers

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Roland Deschain

Well, I am an avowed agnostic.

I think the question of Gods existence is totally and utterly irrelevant.
No-one has ever given a cast iron arguement for or against "his" exIstence and as far as I can see they never will.

It is quite unprovable until we die or the so called Judgement Day, (or whatever your religion call's it) and as such what is the point in devoting so much energy and time over worrying about whether you've committed some sin or not??? :shk:

I live my life by a set of values and morals that I, (and to an extent society), have set me.
I try my best not to do anything that will cause unecessary harm to anyone else. (Of course I frequently fail, I am but human, but I don't perform any sort of mental flagellation upon myself as some religious folk do, if I mess up it's my fault, end of).

I've never asked anyone to die for me and I don't seek absolution for my "sins".
I am who and what I am.
I make no apologies for it.

If come Judgement Day and big G finds me wanting because I wouldn't blindly follow him, despite leading an honest and respectful life, then so be it.
He can keep his moralistic Private Members Club; I want nothing to do with anything so sanctimonious.

I someow think that if G does exist he won't be as staid as some religious people portray him.

To summarise:
Faith is irrelvant.
It's acts and deeds that count.

Hope that makes some sort of sense to anyone else.

[edit on 10/4/08 by Freeborn]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Well, I am an avowed agnostic.

What's that mean?

I think the question of Gods existence is totally and utterly irrelevant.
No-one has ever given a cast iron arguement for or against "his" exIstence and as far as I can see they never will.
Me too. Why people spend their lives looking for a higher power is beyond me. Do you think no one ever gives a cast iron arguement for or against his existance cause they can't?

It is quite unprovable until we die or the so called Judgement Day, (or whatever your religion call's it) and as such what is the point in devoting so much energy and time over worrying about whether you've committed some sin or not??? :shk:
Exactly. It all seems like a waste of time to me. *shurgs*

I live my life by a set of values and morals that I, (and to an extent society), have set me.
I try my best not to do anything that will cause unecessary harm to anyone else. (Of course I frequently fail, I am but human, but I don't perform any sort of mental flagellation upon myself as some religious folk do, if I mess up it's my fault, end of).

I've never asked anyone to die for me and I don't seek absolution for my "sins".
I am who and what I am.
I make no apologies for it.
I feel the same way. Never apologize for who you are. You don't have to.

If come Judgement Day and bid G finds me wanting because I wouldn't blindly follow him, despite leading an honest and respectful life, then so be it.
agreed. this isn't the kind of thing i would imagine god to be but thats what he is i guess. kinda weird...

He can keep his moralistic Private Members Club; I want nothing to do with anything to do with anything so santctimonious.
you and me can hang out after judgement day then

I someow think that if G does exist he won't be as staid as some religious people portray him.
I don't know what staid means but if he does exist i would like to think of him as more forgiving and compassionate. why am i supposed to fear god? thats not the kind of god i would ever want to pray to

To summarise:
Faith is irrelvant.
It's acts and deeds that count.
Agreed. i just wish others could see it like this.

Hope that makes some sort of sense to anyone else.
Perfect sense man. thanks

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm not atheist or theist, but I'm not sure that I'm agnostic either.

It seems that while agnostics may admit that they "don't know", I find they don't *try* to know either. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just the impression I've gotten over the years.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm *trying* to know.. Believe me

but what i'm *trying* to know really has nothing to do with religion and theism

it's more self-actualization then anything else

i find that instead of wasting time believing in something i'm not 100% sure exists or believing that things are only true if they can be backed up by science, i can learn knowledge of self

i have a deeper apperecation for myself

like some people worship a higher power

in some ways i worship myself...not in a selfish way though, in fact the most un selfish way possible

if you'd like me to link you to some of my other threads that explain a little bit more what i'm talking about let me know

but yea, i'm *trying* to learn as much about everything as possible

so kruel, you simply don't label yourself when it comes to things like this? i like that.

thanks for the responce

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Kruel, I assure you I have read the main religious text of all the major world religions and a few of the minor one's too.

I have read numerous interpretations of these works too.

I have considered all of what I've read, (not saying I've understood it all, some pretty complex theories / beliefs out there).

The more I read and the more I discuss the more I am convinced that the question of God's existence is completely and utterly irrelevant.

It's how YOU choose to conduct your life that is important.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

It's how YOU choose to conduct your life that is important.

yep, exactly what i was trying to get at...

thanks freeborn

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I don't claim to know ANYTHING about being Agnostic...but the way it was explained to me...was that Agnostics, don't believe in Anything. They believe we "just are." We are here. End of Story.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
I don't claim to know ANYTHING about being Agnostic...but the way it was explained to me...was that Agnostics, don't believe in Anything. They believe we "just are." We are here. End of Story.

from wiki

Agnosticism (Greek: α- a-, without + γνώσις gnōsis, knowledge; after Gnosticism) is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of God, gods, deities, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently unknowable due to the nature of subjective experience perceived by that individual.

i think thats pretty close to how i feel

i just can't articulate things as well as i would like to

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The more I read and the more I discuss the more I am convinced that the question of God's existence is completely and utterly irrelevant.

I can agree with that. My search has gone beyond religion on to deeper questions regarding the nature of reality itself.

I don't think anything is "unknowable" (referring to the wiki definition of agnosticism). I won't limit myself with the idea that understanding some things are out of grasp.

top topics

join