It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prehistoric Cultures Were Hunting Whales At Least 3,000 Years Ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Recent findings by a Russian-American research team suggest that prehistoric cultures were hunting whales at least 3,000 years ago, 1,000 years earlier than was previously known.

Source

Quit a intresting find i will post a picture up for u gusy asap. but whales were targeted back then also and now by the japs its like thay are gona be targeted like chickens are so we can eat them. this should stop now stop this madness against whales.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Update!

University of Alaska Museum of the North archaeology curator Daniel Odess recently presented the team's findings at the Society for American Archaeology annual meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia.

"The importance of whaling in arctic prehistory is clear. Prehistoric settlements were situated and defended so that people could hunt whales," says Odess. "Yet, as important as whaling is, we know very little about how, where and when it began."

Chukotka carving.

Source

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
In the 1920's evidence was found of coastal gathers utilizing whales that had probably washed up. Parts of their skeletons have been found in shell middens.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think it takes balls to hunt a whale, full stop. Rickety wooden canoe, three thousand years ago? Big #ing balls.

One thing that always gets me about whale hunting: how the devil to they drag the thing back? It weighs like 20 tons!

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
People hunt, it's what they do. It wouldn't surprise me to find that people have been hunting whales for 3 thousand years, and it wouldn't shock me if people hunted whales for thousands of more years.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The evidence for whaling goes back way farther than that,
and it is SO time for the japanese and the norwegians to stop whaling.
Scientific research yah right.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
The evidence for whaling goes back way farther than that,
and it is SO time for the japanese and the norwegians to stop whaling.
Scientific research yah right.

I Think it even happend with humans everything hum,ans triad before for sure the world has been around for billions of years we dont know what the monkeys and primates used to do back then lol

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
People hunt, it's what they do. It wouldn't surprise me to find that people have been hunting whales for 3 thousand years, and it wouldn't shock me if people hunted whales for thousands of more years.

Yeh noticed hunting is a way of life and u have to to live well not all of us but most human and mankind.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I can see why the ancient people hunted whales. Their blubber could be used for heating and light. The bones and body could be used to eat and make tools.

It looks like the whale has four legs in the carving. ??

Why should people stop hunting whales? Are they going extinct?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

The whale has bones yeh? i think so if so thay could skin it and make it into a big home thats probely some of the things thay did?.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
I think it takes balls to hunt a whale, full stop. Rickety wooden canoe, three thousand years ago? Big #ing balls.

Because it "takes balls" (and I hope it - the whales - really do take their balls, BTW) it's morally and culturally acceptable to deprive a living creature of its right to life - the one and only life it has?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Because it "takes balls" (and I hope it - the whales - really do take their balls, BTW) it's morally and culturally acceptable to deprive a living creature of its right to life - the one and only life it has?

If it maximizes chances of survival, yes... Its acceptable.
Sorry, we (Every Living Thing) can't all form a big circle and sing songs of harmony. In the real world, some animals die for another to live.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Even if we were all to switch to vegetarianism we'd still be murdering carrots.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Even if we were all to switch to vegetarianism we'd still be murdering carrots.

kind of right but its wierd carrots dont move or love thay just grow true? no feeling in that way its just growing bacteria

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I understand that broccoli scream when the end is near and Cauliflower curses up a storm.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
When you live in a harsh environment, such as the arctic, you don't have a lot of vegetable options for feeding yourself and your family. I've no doubt people were hunting whales long before the 3000 year mark. And they weren't necessarily hunting enormous baleen whales, as the Japanese and Norwegians do today, with massive ships.

The method for hunting narwhals (which grow to about 16 feet and weigh something like 3000 lbs) today, still employed by Inuit in Alaska and the Canadian arctic, makes it fairly easy for a group of motivated hunters to bring one home. They wait for them to surface in an opening in the sea ice, and attack them there. They use rifles these days, but I'm sure the principle worked as well during the days of spears and harpoons.

It's fair enough to call for the governments of whaling countries to end the practice. Personally, I find Norway's stance less objectionable - they don't claim, as the Japanese do, to be conducting "research." Regardless, as the OP pointed out, the whale hunt has been an important part of life for some cultures for thousands of years.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'll see your 3000 years ago and raise you another 3000 years
news.bbc.co.uk...

Stone Age people may have started hunting whales as early as 6,000 BC, new evidence from South Korea suggests.
Analysis of rock carvings at Bangu-Dae archaeological site in Ulsan in the southeast of the country revealed more than 46 depictions of large whales.

They also show evidence that humans used harpoons, floats and lines to catch their prey, which included sperm whales, right whales and humpbacks.

new topics

top topics

join