It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Teachers Union Asks Bush to Fire Education Secretary for 'terrorist' Remark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Education Secretary Rod Paige made a comment calling the Teacher's Union a "Terrorist Organization" enraging Democrats and the National Education Association whose Union consists of over 2.7 million teachers and school workers. Rod Paige made his comments in a private meeting with governors and later apologized for his choice of words. The White House assures that the Education Secretary's job is safe.

ap.tbo.com...
"Our members say that once again this national leader has insulted them, this time beyond repair, with words filled with hatred - and merely because they raised legitimate concerns about the president's so-called 'No Child Left Behind' law." Weaver asked Bush "to express his regret to the nation's educators and demand that Secretary Paige step down."
At least two Democratic lawmakers, Betty McCollum of Minnesota and Jim McDermott of Washington, called for Paige to resign or be removed from his job. But otherwise, Paige's comments did not seem to cause immediate fallout for him on Capitol Hill.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
what? isn't there anyone that thinks this is foul? I mean our Education Secretary calling a Teachers Union a terrorist organization because they have opposing views from that of the adminstration and himself?

teachers i am with you on this one, our education system sucks, perhaps if we listen a little more to the actual teachers instead of lawmakers and bookkeepers maybe our children can benefit.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm totally with you WW, but it's kind of overload.

I mean the Education Secretary saying this about teachers, is just [shaking head].

What can I say? This entire administration is pitted 100% full force against the people. It's not even shocking anymore when they slip up in public and speak their collective mind.

It is a disgrace, but what can we do? Torches and pitchforks are too good for Bush. The super sad thing is most Bush supporters DON'T CARE. They read this in one eye and out their asses. I can't explain it.

They must tell themselves either, yes teachers are terrorists, or well that's obviously not what he meant.

Either way it's self delusion.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I can understand these comments aimed at the teacher's UNION, but not the teachers.

And please NOTE IT WAS AIMED @ THE N.E.A. who CONTROL THE EDUCATION SYSTEM IN AMERICA!

One party controlling the education (public schools). Sound communistic? Does to me.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
but teachers make up that union, that is whom they 2.7 million school workers choose to be their voice. I know he didn't say it directly to the teachers, but it is still foul.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
but teachers make up that union, that is whom they 2.7 million school workers choose to be their voice.

Chose to be their voice? Teachers in public schools are damn near required to be NEA union members, some care, others don't, i've had them both.

To say that NEA and teachers are one party is like saying all Americans support/are part of the U.S. Government.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Anyone seen the original, from which the "sound bite" was made? I enjoyed the
joke and how it was presented. Rod Paige is a man with a healthy sense of humor.
Something the NEA lacks, as humor is not part of their agenda.
Nothings funny anymore, even when it is.

/\/ight\/\/ing

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The education system does suck! Terrorism or not, they definetely need to improve on it. I also think teachers are under paid. I wonder if that's part of the problem.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Generally, I would say "Get over it. He was just being an ass, and it's not worth the outrage", but given the seriousness nowadays, of calling someone a terrorist, I think they are justified in their response.
We are living in an America that allows the government to disregard the Constitution upon which our country is founded, and trample over our personal rights. And the only thing that needs to be done, for this to happen, is to have them label you a suspected terrorist or enemy combatant. It's not such an easy slight to brush off anymore.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
[Edited on 27-2-2004 by jezebel]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
WOW!!!!!!!!!
How many sheep do we have folowing the flock?!?!?!
The people of this country have fought and DIED for the beliefs of the FOUNDING FATHERS...(not FRAMERS) of our constitution. Where does it say the federal govt. is to take care of education?? Where does it say that the COMMUNIST teachings of the NEA are right? Answer that?!?!?!?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What's with all the ninnies calling the teacher's union "COMMIES"?

Put up or shut up, what's communist about that?

I swear you people. You're either a commie or a terrorist now.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Its ironic how much press this issue is getting when at the same token there is zip zadda zilch on the Corine Brown issue. Hipocracy oh Hipocracy - does anyone need more proof of media bias than this?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
what? isn't there anyone that thinks this is foul? I mean our Education Secretary calling a Teachers Union a terrorist organization because they have opposing views from that of the adminstration and himself?

teachers i am with you on this one, our education system sucks, perhaps if we listen a little more to the actual teachers instead of lawmakers and bookkeepers maybe our children can benefit.

In a way you hit the proverbial nail on the head, The NEA doe's not care one whit about the quality education of our children like individual teachers do. I just want to add "Union" to your list including "Lawmakers and Bookeepers".

new topics

top topics

join