It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS Considers Outsourcing News To CNN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

CBS Considers Outsourcing News To CNN

www.roguegovernment.com

CBS, the home of the most celebrated news division in broadcasting, has been in discussions with Time Warner about a deal to outsource some of its news-gathering operations to CNN, two executives briefed on the matter said Monday.

Over the last decade, CNN has held intermittent talks with both ABC News and CBS News about various joint ventures. But during the last several months, talks with CBS have been revived and lately intensified, according to the executives who were given anonymity because of the confidential nature of the negotiations.

Broadly speaking, the executives described conversations about reducing CBS's news-gathering capacity while keeping its frontline personalities, like Katie Couric, the CBS Evening News anchor, and paying a fee to CNN to buy the cable network's news feeds.

Another possibility, these people said, would be for CBS to keep its correspondents in certain regions but pair them with CNN crews.

But, these people cautioned, no deal was imminent. Through a spokesman, CBS declined to comment. A CNN spokeswoman said, "we don't comment on speculative business matters."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
So now they want to start limiting our sources on news stories by outsourcing the news to CNN. Next Fox news will out source to the others and we will end up with a left or right news source. I don't think this is a good trend to start outsourcing the news to a few. We only get left with two sources for anyone to corrupt. Government would be in easy access to propaganda and media control by doing this.

www.roguegovernment.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
CBS...the most celebrated source for news..?!?

Yeah...by whose estimations...Nielsons? And what a term...'Celebrated'....just because people watch doesn't mean it's worthy of celebration...they perhaps could be too lazy to turn the channel...

Originally posted by JBA2848
Government would be in easy access to propaganda and media control by doing this.

They already are...started with newspapers and then went to T.V.....The government, or corporate interest, didn't take its' first real hit until interactive blogging....ATS being one of them...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think the internet is a important source though some may argue that its not. Blogs such as this site definetly makes it to the list of a good news source with its breaking news threads. But many of the older crowds who do most of the voting in this coountry til recently still get there news from a face they like such as Kattie. I think we still have a few more years til people are educated more from the internet then from one sided news stories on tv. The younger generations on the net will be a educated and wiser voter in the future then the baby boomers.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
this is nothing new.

many local news programs use CNN for their field reporters to cover events that they cannot do so due to logistic and economic reasons. it is much cheaper to pay a satellite fee than pay a reporter.

as for news sources being whittled down for propaganda, that is nothing new.

the internet has changed the way people look for news. why wait until 5PM for the news of the day when you can be updated every minute.

CBS' talks with CNN have more to do with economics due to advertising revenue from news shrinking. more and more news stations are automating their newscasts, meaning that a pc and one person can do the job of 5 people, which in turn saves stations 100's of thousands of dollars in salaries and benefits.

in my own humble opinion, these talks are more about economics than gaining a tighter grip on what the public is told.

i find it ironic that CNN was losing money until it covered the first incursion into Iraq, from that point on, it never looked back.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I think the internet is a important source though some may argue that its not. Blogs such as this site definetly makes it to the list of a good news source with its breaking news threads. But many of the older crowds who do most of the voting in this coountry til recently still get there news from a face they like such as Kattie. I think we still have a few more years til people are educated more from the internet then from one sided news stories on tv. The younger generations on the net will be a educated and wiser voter in the future then the baby boomers.

i agree with the first part of your statement, many people still get their news from tv and their favorite anchors. as well as the internet being and important source for information. but to think that the younger generations will be smarter and wiser because of it is a stretch for me. especially when it comes to politics.

we are living at a time when information is readily available to all. at the same time, too much can cause many to just become overwhelmed and just "shut it down".

what one does with the information determines how smart or ignorant they are.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't know if these news outlets can be considered 'American' anymore, but assuming they are, and assuming the FCC works for them (a stretch I know) this will end up as further deterioration of the American paradigm of a 'free and independent press' providing oversight for the public.

But since they are allowed to reduce this extreme divergence from that paradigm into a 'speculative business matter' we can be certain that the truth will no longer be made available to the people, unless they themselves wrench it from the hands of the media.

I wonder how this will 'spin' and who will 'spin' it? I predict the first politician to 'commend' this development will be self-identifying as the media shill of the month. And shortly there after will be 'blessed' with positive media coverage.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hopefully this will hurt the big media in the future. Up coming generations may start watching internet sources more. Seems like this is an opportunity for new reporting sources to take a bigger part in reporting with audiences that are connect to and participating in the internet world.

I will state that much of this will hinge on the percentage of Americans that stay mindlessly glue to TV only.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I been telling ats thru suggestions that we need a News Video Source for ATS... doesnt even have to be people to are on video could be animated hosts. But still touching on stories that other media sources arent... you get enuff stories that are hard hitters an thru google an word of mouth ats could be number one source of News lol....

I really dont care about cbs, after they got rid of jericho, a show that so many watched an liked even enuff to send tons of peanuts to cbs headquarters... CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX, should get it over with an call themselves NWO broadcasting..... cuz thats all its gettin too,

News is supposed to be independent of Political, Corp-er-RAT!, and Religious ties.. Most that I see an if u do the research are owned by just that, I mean its sad when people in the middle east an elsewhere get fair an balanced news more then we do, Yes there is always the rouge station, but for the most part America, has been following the ways of China for a while, We've been spoonfed what is important an what isnt....

I think its about time we start a new station that isnt a station but a community. a Means to Include all. And deny Ignorance.....

Call it " Deny News " or " Free News "

But look at the turn about rate of news stories here... Some get pages apon pages of actual good info an balanced questioning.... others well yeah turn into moments of finding a corner in a Circle room.... But most of the time, the news I find here has more fullness to it then they limited 500 word story i find that new story to be from,

ATS just discusses it more, pulls facts out of it an then checks them out for more info about the story like lil mini investigators....

Lets do it! lol DENY NEWS!

new topics

top topics

join