It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Education System in Ontario

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Ok, since I am from Canada, I live in the province of Ontario about an hour from Toronto, and now they are planning on doing an Afrocentric school in Toronto just to segregate the black kids from the white kids.

I don't see what the purpose is, the Toronto district school board claims it will boost graduation rates of black students but I can only see it will cause problems. Look what happened with the native based schools, the statistics were like half the students got suspended at one point or another.

There is a song called Black and White from Three Dog Night which really speaks to me about that we shouldn't segregate anyone by skin color.

Any thoughts ?

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm in British Columbia myself (hence my account name), and I haven't heard anything about this here. It's things like this that make me happy Education is a provincial duty, not a federal one. In my opinion, this kind of thing is a major step backwards for not only the school system, but society as a whole. The school board is basing this on race and race only. I could understand them separating male students from female students (because of differences in thought processes and what not), but this is just unfounded.

[edit on 12-4-2008 by BCBLOOD]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Could you imagine the outrage if an ALL-white school was opened...

Talk about a double standard.

What's next? A school for Short people? Redheads? Left-handed Only Education?

I'm in Ontario and I worry about this nonsense.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by doctormcauley]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yes, it's a pretty retarded idea. But I rest happy in the knowledge that when this school is shown to have no effect whatsoever on black graduation rates then all the people who whined and cried about needing this school will feel pretty dumb. Of course I'm sure they'll find some other way to blame Whitey for their troubles and then they'll need to segregate themselves some other way. If students are so weak-willed or dumb or lazy that they can only graduate from a school filled with their peers, well they don't have much chance in the world at all.

But the problem with the education system in Ontario runs much deeper than stupid stunts like this. How about the fact that 50% is a passing grade? LOL it's ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hypr2008

I also live in Ontario, about 1 hour north of Toronto ... Maybe we're neighbours?!

Anyways, I am also baffled about the Afrocentric school idea. I can't help but feel it is a step in the wrong direction. Having a curriculum afrocentric as apposed to eurocentric (what we have now) makes sense, if you integrate them, but the idea of exclusivity is a trip for sure.

The media seems to be offering this as a black-only school, when that is not correct. It is an Afrocentric ciriculum, but they obviously don't want white kids attending ... It's straight weird dude.

new topics

top topics

join