It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God is a Hypocrite

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Wouldn't God be a hypocrite if he told us not to certain things and then he goes ahead and does them? Aren't we suppose to be loving all the time? Really he does a ton of killing in the bible. We aren't suppose to do that are we?? And what about adultery? What he did with Mary, taking her innocence all all??

He has to be beyond a murder. He let's people die, and further more he burns them in hell for all eternity... Isn't that a little sadistic? I wouldn't do that to my children would you? Does that mean I have a more loving and forgiving soul than God? Doesn't God have to love bigger than me?

The bible says that their will be an anti-Christ religion and that it shall call itself by his name. Isn't Christianity one of the largest religions in the world?

Why is it ok for God to do evil and not the rest of us??? Honestly now...

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
First you should not take religion at face value, if you do, then you are bound to find contradictions. God is not represented in his entirety by any known organized religion on this planet. Do yourself the ultimate favor and create your own understanding of god, through investigation, knowledge, meditation, and unconditional love.

Do not take others for ultimate truth. There is a divine spark within you that you need to become aware of, when you do, you can "fact-check" any truth in the universe with your eternal light source.

But first, you must not look outward for god's truth, look inward to yourself. Hold yourself accountable and you will find the source of your uncertainties.

Patience.

AAC

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaimless

- God wants his most beloved creation, humans, to have free will, yet he imposes an entire book full of laws and rules upon them.

- God claims to be omnipotent, yet could not prevent evil from affecting his most beloved creation in such a way that God himself became disgusted by the filthiness and wretchedness that humans are.

- God fails to abide by the very laws he has laid down for humans.

- God had to send his own "son" to redeem his most beloved creation from evil, which he also created, by letting this son be brutally beaten and tortured and put on a cross to die. Wouldn't it have been easier to just stamp out evil from the start?

The Christian God is a hypocritical tyrant that is either not all-powerful, or does not mind that evil exists and wrecks havoc on humans.

Christianity is chock full of such contradictions. Realizing they are there is a good thing, because it helps one to understand that perhaps there is more to this world than the single religion they grew up into or were eventually lead to believe as the only one that could be real.

I was a Christian until I was 30 years old. When I started to see these things I was angry, sad, disappointed, and hungry for truth. I haven't found the final answers to my spiritual questions yet, but I have come to understand that religion is nothing but man made rubbish that should be abandoned.

I suggest that you not spend too much time on religion. Focus on your personal spirituality. Investigate, learn, research, observe, etc. Figure out what you believe, if anything, when it comes to gods, goddesses, deities, and so on. Spirituality is a journey each person can experience without the complications of religion.
Keep it simple, fulfilling, personal, and enlightening. Don't let the world of man infect the path of your spirit.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
A quick note: Im not religious, and Im not an atheist. I prefer to keep an open mind either way. But.. sorry this is kind of flawed.

Originally posted by John_Q_Llama

- God wants his most beloved creation, humans, to have free will, yet he imposes an entire book full of laws and rules upon them.

Easy response to this: You are free to disobey. Same with traffic laws-you CAN speed, but there can be repercussions.

- God claims to be omnipotent, yet could not prevent evil from affecting his most beloved creation in such a way that God himself became disgusted by the filthiness and wretchedness that humans are.

Evil is a choice thing for people, see above regarding repercussions.

- God fails to abide by the very laws he has laid down for humans.

He wouldn't have to abide by them. He's God, not a human. You can push a pet off the dinner table, yet moments later sit on it yourself. Why? Cause it's YOUR table.

- God had to send his own "son" to redeem his most beloved creation from evil, which he also created, by letting this son be brutally beaten and tortured and put on a cross to die. Wouldn't it have been easier to just stamp out evil from the start?

Define 'easy'. The concept is-you want your boyfriend/girlfriend to love you by choice, otherwise you would have a blowup doll. Thus 'evil' isn't a force. It is a bad choice. Like Plato's discussion on someone stealing bread to feed his family (good act for his family, evil act to the bread baker). If God is real: You can't apply human values to him/her/it.

The Christian God is a hypocritical tyrant that is either not all-powerful, or does not mind that evil exists and wrecks havoc on humans.

Hypocrisy = doing the opposite of what you preach. Me saying "I can do whatever I want, but you can't eat twinkies' is not hypocrisy, it IS however tyrannically stupid I admit.
Otherwise, please see above for 'good and evil'.

I suggest that you not spend too much time on religion. Focus on your personal spirituality. Investigate, learn, research, observe, etc. Figure out what you believe, if anything, when it comes to gods, goddesses, deities, and so on. Spirituality is a journey each person can experience without the complications of religion.
Keep it simple, fulfilling, personal, and enlightening. Don't let the world of man infect the path of your spirit.

Agreed wholeheartedly. But I would also add "Don't blind yourself". The bible is a book of man. The events could be all parable or made up (from what we can prove). Doesn't mean there is no wisdom at all in it. Even with all the beastly events it depicts.

(Sorry for the wall of text)

[edit on 8-4-2008 by lordtyp0]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I feel the same why about this subject. If you continue to dig, look at all the creation stories that have been told over the Ages I think that you will find that the true meaning of the stories have profound implications! If we were to visit another world today with or science and technology, and happen to come accross premitive man would they not think we are Gods. Just think of all the things that we are now capable of. Would they not think cell phone, computers, space craft and things of that nature to be magic, Godly. But we are surly not Gods, far from it we murder a kill everthing we touch. The human species behaves more like a cancer in my opinion. To the premitive being however, their would be no other way of explaining want they are experiencing. Your interpretation of a situation is only as good as your knowledge and understanding of what is in fact taking place. I don't think we have fully understood what was being said in these ancient text.

[edit on 4/8/2008 by XcLuciFer]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I often wonder why god condemns his "children" to burn in hell. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. But people say that we choose hell and god isn't really sending us there, we are sending ourselves there by not following god. But isn't god the one who made hell?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Its not for us to suppose that we understand god with our minds. Everyone always says that jesus says we must love our enemys and love people that kill our families.

We have to live in the real world, and i am sure jesus would understand that.

Also what about the tower of babel story. God seperated us, to make sure we could not be messing around with trying to become gods. So i take from that that god created all our little racial differnces and languages etc... so we could be kept apart.

Do you not think that diferences are good. If we were all the same, we would not need a discussion board.

For me god and jesus was saying, they have a right to exist just as you do, give them that right, but you do not have to actually love them in a literal way.

So for me the christian faith says they have a right to exist and i understand that, and that is what i understand jesus meant when he said that love there neighbour as you would yourself.

When jesus went into the temple and threw the money peoples tables all over the place, that is hatred. Jesus showed a hatred for those people. But he knew they had to exist, and he let them exist.

So that story tells you what i am saying, when jesus said that you should love your enemies, he meant that they have a right to exist as much as you do, he did not mean you need to have sex with your enemies or you need to share dinner parties with them. Jesus would of understood the real world.

Like for instance in my life, i always say the people that destroyed my life deserve the world, and the world deserves them. Its not for me to do anything to them, if the world wants people like that, thats fine. But stay away from me, and i have a right not to want anything to do with them.

This last paragraph is what i think jesus meant when saying things like love your enemies etc... He did not mean have sex with your enemies or blow them a kiss.

[edit on 4/8/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Evil is a choice thing for people, see above regarding repercussions.

Ahh, this is an area that can be debated endlessly without having an answer that everyone will agree on. For some people evil was a part of God's creation process. Others feel, like you have stated, that it is a choice. Furthermore they believe that it is a product of free will.

My personal view is that evil was created. However I am willing to accept the idea that perhaps God didn't create evil outright. As a result of that, though, I believe that God allowed evil to exist.

Consider that Christianity believes that God is completely good. There is no evil to, in, about, or with God. Nor can God co-exist with evil. They also believe that God is omnipresent and omnipotent. In other words, God is all powerful and present everywhere all the time. Putting all that together, wouldn't that mean one of two things? 1) Evil does exist, but God is not omnipresent and/or omnipotent. 2) Evil does not exist, and the bad things people do are simply tolerated by God.

He wouldn't have to abide by them. He's God, not a human. You can push a pet off the dinner table, yet moments later sit on it yourself. Why? Cause it's YOUR table.

You are right. But until God enlightens us humans with a little insight into his so-called "mysterious ways", a lot of people will see him as anything but the just, loving, and fair being that Christians claim him to be.

Your point is one I have heard many times from Christians. It's easy to justify any behavior of God's by writing it off as something that humans cannot understand due to God's "mysterious ways". Don't misunderstand me though. I'm not putting a label on you for making the point.

Define 'easy'. The concept is-you want your boyfriend/girlfriend to love you by choice, otherwise you would have a blowup doll. Thus 'evil' isn't a force. It is a bad choice. Like Plato's discussion on someone stealing bread to feed his family (good act for his family, evil act to the bread baker). If God is real: You can't apply human values to him/her/it.

We're not talking about a boyfriend or girlfriend. We're talking about mankind, God's most beloved creation! Is there a choice, yes! Love God or go to hell and have your soul burn for eternity. Why go through the trouble of creating hell, sending his "son" to his death, and slaughtering millions of people, when the root of the problem (evil) could have been removed from existence from the start? Is love not the same for humans as it is for God?

This actually brings up something that I've had on my mind for a long time. The Christian religion assumes that God, and all that he is allied with in the Bible, are good (not evil). But the Bible was supposedly "given" to us by God through men. Let's assume that that is true. How do we know that God isn't evil, and that the entity called Satan in the Bible was actually trying to do good? Good and evil are a matter of perspective. Of course God is going to paint himself as good when telling the humans the texts of the Bible. But is God good?
Something to think about.

Hypocrisy = doing the opposite of what you preach. Me saying "I can do whatever I want, but you can't eat twinkies' is not hypocrisy, it IS however tyrannically stupid I admit.
Otherwise, please see above for 'good and evil'.

Come on. The God of Christianity is hypocritical. The OP made some great points on that.

Agreed wholeheartedly. But I would also add "Don't blind yourself". The bible is a book of man. The events could be all parable or made up (from what we can prove). Doesn't mean there is no wisdom at all in it. Even with all the beastly events it depicts.

Oh yeah, nice add. When researching spirituality and religion, it can be easy to latch onto something that feels right or seems to make sense. Be sure to exhaust all sources of information before jumping to conclusions!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
hypothecially speaking America is hypocrytical. It is illegal to committ murder yet they kill prisoners all the time. It is law that Americans pay taxes on their vehicles but the government doesn't pay taxes on the vehicles they purchase, in fact they don't even pay property taxes. They have police to protect us but can't protect its citizens from one lone gunman running around a campus for hours murdering kids. They restrict gun laws and in some cases try to ban guns but freely hand these guns out to its military.

Its all a matter of perception, when you don't know all the facts you can easily take things out of context. I think that everything that is written in the bible is not the complete picture, we're only seeing one small spec in a larger picture. I believe what was written in the bible is the most basic things about God and how we are to live. If God is an evil God and a hypocryte how come he hasn't destroyed the earth again with water like he promised he wouldn't? or how come he sacrificed his son to save humanity? how come he forgives anyone who asks him? ever get a chance to look at a puppy? or a baby, or how beautiful flowers and creation is? thats not evil work its divine love. I suggest you get to know him before accusing him.

Keeper

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I would like to take a little time to look at your post and try to understand it.
First thing that I notice is that you seem to be making a statement in the title, and not asking a question.
Are you sure that is the fact, in your mind, that God is a hypocrite?
Ok, you think so, but you want to find out if anyone agrees with you?
I think that a better way to explain God would be to call God's nature paradoxical.
He set the universe in motion and it ends up with galaxies colliding and stars going into nova and huge astoroids taking chunks off planets.
Those things happen, and they could be tragic, but spirits are lining up for the privalidge of taking a material form, to live in this dangerous universe.
Aparently, God did do a bunch of killing in the bible.
The biggest kill-off would be the Flood. God did intend to kill everyone on the planet.
God showed Himself to be loving, in that, although He found only one man to be righteous, eight people were saved. They were not all that great but god allowed them on the ark because of their relationship to Noah.
It would not have been right for Noah to just go out and kill all those people, himself. It would not be his place to judge others in that way. God could judge men because He knows everything about them, inside, and out.
I do not think God took bodily form in order to fornicate with Mary. God was able to make a creation, inside her, in a spiritual way.
As for God letting people die, there are a lot of people alive, today, who owe their lives to His intervention. You may not see it, but He is looking out for us to where we do not die as much as we would, if He was not doing anything about it.
God does not burn people in hell, forever. The Beast, the destroyer, our enemy, is burnt, forever, but not us. Some un-recoverable evil people will be destoyed forever, but it will be a sudden death. Only the result will last forever, not the burning. That is a cruel invention of some preachers to scare their congregations.
The anti-christ was always here, as long as there has been a christ. The future event is different in that it will take control by setting up a world government.
Our job has always been, and will be, to be descerning of the truth and to not give our alegence to evil men, but to seek out the true God. The anti-christ is here, and it does call itself christian, and it takes the place of God and subverts our faith. That is nothing new, and it will always be so, to the end of the world.
God is good and loving and we are benifiting from that, in the same way that Noah's family benifited from the goodness of their one relative. We are pulled out of the fire because of the righteousness of one man. Jesus fulfilled that requirement to be good, the one that we could not do, ourselves, and God is faithfull to save his family.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaimless
Wouldn't God be a hypocrite if he told us not to certain things and then he goes ahead and does them? Aren't we suppose to be loving all the time? Really he does a ton of killing in the bible. We aren't suppose to do that are we??

logical question would be, did the people he kill deserve it?

And what about adultery? What he did with Mary, taking her innocence all all??

your kidding right?

He has to be beyond a murder. He let's people die, and further more he burns them in hell for all eternity... Isn't that a little sadistic? I wouldn't do that to my children would you? Does that mean I have a more loving and forgiving soul than God? Doesn't God have to love bigger than me?

he doesn´t burn people in hell. that´s doctrine that was added to the church

The bible says that their will be an anti-Christ religion and that it shall call itself by his name. Isn't Christianity one of the largest religions in the world?

interesting observation. easy way to tell if it is an anti-christ religion is to compare it´s doctrines to the bible. (see the aforementioned hell)

Why is it ok for God to do evil and not the rest of us??? Honestly now...

this is ofcourse assuming that the things he did was in fact evil.

god set rules for his creation and also told us what would happen if we disobeyed (dust you are, to dust you return). i dont think its evil of god to do what he said he would do.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
I often wonder why god condemns his "children" to burn in hell. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. But people say that we choose hell and god isn't really sending us there, we are sending ourselves there by not following god. But isn't god the one who made hell?

your making an arguement based on assumption. if you research hellfire, you´ll find it is not supported by the bible

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaimless
Wouldn't God be a hypocrite if he told us not to certain things and then he goes ahead and does them? Aren't we suppose to be loving all the time? Really he does a ton of killing in the bible. We aren't suppose to do that are we?? And what about adultery? What he did with Mary, taking her innocence all all

Firstly, you are giving your opinion based on what you have read in the bible, and if it is so, i am not surprised with your verdict. Unfortunately, it is a fact which many will openly agree with, that the present day bible, has been grossly corrupted by man, it is therefore not the original scripture as given to either moses or jesus.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Understood and comprhended in context. Won't it be a hoot when the grays finally just tell us all we are a genetic zoo? Oh the laughs.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60\
The biggest kill-off would be the Flood. God did intend to kill everyone on the planet.
God showed Himself to be loving, in that, although He found only one man to be righteous, eight people were saved. They were not all that great but god allowed them on the ark because of their relationship to Noah.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by jmdewey60]

Here's the disconnect for me: If a man executes everyone at his local bank, but leaves one alive just because he feels like it, we call him a monster; if God does it, it's His will(and he can do anything he wants cause he's God). In my mind, a God that powerful, and wise, and who is also supposed to be loving, wouldn't abuse his power in that way; and quite frankly one who DOES abuse his power like that(like killing 70000 just because their king took a census) is little better than a dictator IMO.

BTW, slightly off-topic, later in your post you refer to "some un-recoverable people"- would you mind explaining who you think these people are, please?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
God is a parent, and like all parents they are "hypocrites". My father told me I was not allowed to smoke, yet he smokes. My father told me not to drink alcohol and yet he consumes alcohol, and so on. The reason he told me these things is to protect me from doing something dumb. Yet I still have enough freewill to go behind his back and drink and smoke. It is the same concept.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Like hell it is….. if we do any of the things god forbids us to do, he will send us to hell for all eternity where we will be tortured and so forth.

If we choose to obey god’s laws and rules we receive a lifetime of enjoyment with him in heaven after we die and if we do not he will send us to hell- not much of a parent there dude……

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Why because the churches states this? The churches that say this are putting their words in God's mouth in order to herd their flock of sheep. If you get into trouble will your father send you to your room for an eternity? I don't think so, it is until you have learned your lesson. you are basing your facts on what the church says and may I add it is wrong. They are making people fear them, when in reality is a very wrong practice.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Something that's always bothered me about the Eden story (Seems like it fits with the hypocrisy motif, if not my apologies).

Many say "God knows everything, he knows what we will do before we do it but lets us do it anyway" or something similar thus: keeping freedom of will consistent with the omniscience.

Here's whats bugged me: Original sin.

According to the above: God would have known before he built Eden that Adam and Eve would have 'eaten form the tree'. He would have also have known that even with a commandment of 'No-no, bad *swats with newspaper*' that: This event would have happened.

Thus it could be inferred it was a setup. God would have known that the path would be set in motion.. was the whole crucification scene a sort of buyers remorse? He would have known that was coming too... right?

He made Adam and Eve knowing how it would turn out and how the next time span would progress-so he knew about Jesus on the Cross at that time.

Had he not made the order to not eat the fruit-doesn't that mean he could have kept the events that came away-without endangering freedom of choice?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
What, so you’re now discounting the church – the very religious structure that promoted Christianity from a band of cult worshippers to one of the most powerful religions in the world (1.2 billion strong)

If it wasn’t for the Church Christianity would be nothing, besides – the church is made up of the followers of Jesus Christ – to refute the teachings of the church is basically refuting the beliefs of all Christians – and by all means do that, only if you deny the Church and its followers what else have you got?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join