It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting erupts in Baghdad after week of calm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

"BAGHDAD, April 6 (Reuters) - Twenty-two people were killed and 55 wounded in clashes in Baghdad, police said on Sunday, the worst violence in the capital since Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr called his fighters off the streets a week ago."

wiredispatch.com...

"The unrest comes only days before U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker and U.S. commander General David Petraeus are due to deliver key testimony to the U.S. Congress on progress in Iraq."

"In the north, two buses carrying students back to university in Mosul, Iraq's third largest city, following a weekend break were stopped by gunmen at a fake checkpoint.

One of the buses escaped but male students from the other bus were loaded onto trucks and taken away before being freed by Iraqi security forces hours later, said Brigadier-General Khalid Abdul-Sattar, security spokesman for Nineveh province.

The event served as a reminder of the continuing unrest in the Sunni Arab and mixed areas of the north at a time when attention has been focused on violence in Shi'ite areas in Baghdad and the south.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm still looking at April 19th or 20th of this month to be an "end" to something (ala "Mission Accomplished") -- OR -- the begining of "something" but I'm not convinced of a "big" event occurring just yet... see my Happy Anniversary (April 19) thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4/6/2008 by RabbitChaser]

(RC - Don't forget your quote tags)

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well, I posted the above on the 6th, which was Sunday and just ran into this update for the week...

www.iraq-war.ru...
At least 12 American service members have died in Iraq since Sunday, and the shelling of the Green Zone has become almost a daily occurrence.
In Washington, Petraeus called Tuesday for an open-ended suspension of U.S. troop withdrawals this summer because of concern over the renewed fighting.

ap.google.com...
As the number of U.S. forces in Iraq has gradually come down in the past three months, car bombings, suicide attacks, civilian casualties and ethno-sectarian violence have risen.

The military said Wednesday that an American soldier had died from non-combat related injuries. At least 12 American service members have died in Iraq since Sunday, and the shelling of the Green Zone has become almost a daily occurrence.

"We are witnessing the killing of several people released from the occupation detention centers by men belonging to the awakening projects," the Association of Muslim Scholars said, referring to the "awakening councils" that have been a key element of the U.S. strategy to pacify Sunni areas.

Nothing's changed since this "troop surge" - anyone who says it has is full of $#!t.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by RabbitChaser]

new topics

join