It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noises in my house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I posted a little story about a year ago regarding the crazy noises I have heard in my house. It was the main reason I joined ATS. I wanted to get some opinions and see if anyone else had similar experiences, or heard of any similar occurrences. I’ve read many stories about hauntings, but none have featured weird noises like those in my house. A recent 'episode' prompted me to put this post together.

To begin…
Three other people have heard the sounds in my house, so I know it’s not just my imagination. (not that I ever thought it could be) Someone who claims to be knowledgeable of these matters said their best guess was a mischievous spirit\entity.
That’s the explanation that seems to fit best, imo. Also, I have never seen anything out of the ordinary. It has been limited to the crazy noises.

There doesn’t seem to be any pattern to these occurrences. I’ve heard the noises at all hours. Weeks, sometimes months will elapse with no activity, then out of the blue, here they come. The episodes last from a few hours, up to about 3 days, then it’s quiet again. A little over a week ago; (the evening of Thursday, March 27) I was going about my evening when here they come. I was in the basement, sorting clothes for laundry. It was very quiet and suddenly I hear a loud thump, then quiet again. About 10 minutes later I’m walking up the stairs and hear this loud sound right in front of me. If you purse your lips and make a loud. percussive “puh” sound while exhaling, that’s it. I can reproduce the sound perfectly. About 2 hours later, I’m laying in bed. (Bedroom’s on the 3rd floor. It’s a 3 –story house) I have an old phone upstairs that has a loud ringer…and I hear this soft clicking. It took me a few minutes to trace it. The ringer on the phone was making these
gentle clicking sounds. It lasted about 2 minutes. All quiet again after that.

I’ll post another page with a list of the crazy sounds we’ve heard over the last 6-7 years.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is wild….about 5 years ago, my girlfriend and I were lying in bed talking. It was 11PM. There was a pause in our talking, when suddenly we heard a woman’s voice talking in a loud whisper. Literally coming out of thin air, right by the bed. We both knew the voice asked a question, because we heard “did you?” Then it became unintelligible. My gf said it had to be a ghost…what else could it be? We both freaked. I tried to think of a logical explanation. I told my gf it may have been a radio signal coming through the TV or stereo which were near the bed. After a while, just when we’re somewhat calm again, we hear a loud, (and I mean loud!) bird chirping sound, right above our heads. We stayed up most of the night watching TV! It was a Saturday, so we were still dozing about 9AM, when she shook me and said she was hearing noises again. We heard what sounded like a muffled conversation between a man and a woman, followed by footsteps
coming up the basements stairs. Of course, there was nobody there. After that it was quiet for a long time, possibly 5-6 months.

In 2006, a friend from out of town was staying over for 3 days. He and I were sitting in the living room talking. It was 3 PM. Out of thin air comes a loud boingboingboing!!!
It was like one of those springy door stops that will vibrate when they’re hit, but it had a weirder sound. My buddy and I both said (in unison) that it was like a sound from a cartoon. Seconds later, we hear two thumps, like someone pounding the wall in the hallway. Late that evening, we were watching a movie when my friend said he heard
something. I mute the TV, and we hear a gentle tapping on the wall. It stopped for several minutes, and when I tapped the wall, it started again. This went on for over 10 minutes. It seemed to be attempting to communicate with us. My friend was very intrigued, not at all frightened.

Here is a list of more bizarre sounds we’ve heard:

A very soft “clink, clink, clink” like someone gently tapping on a glass.

A very eerie ‘bird call’ sound that seemed to move around the house in a circular
pattern. It was around 1AM. That one spooked me! It was very mournful sounding.

In the basement: Very loud thumping, followed by what sounded like metal screws or bolts rolling on the floor, as if someone tossed them across the cement floor.

On one occasion, a loud crash that was so violent I thought the roof of my deck had collapsed in the back yard. The whole house shook. I ran downstairs…nothing was out of place.

The weirdest: On 3-4 occasions, I’ve heard noises that sounded like a combination of electronic\mechanical sounds. Loud pops, clicks and\or whirring sounds. I think the craziest one was this combo of noises that lasted about 5 seconds. If I try to vocalize it., it would be like: “shooooooooomppp…..breeeeeee…..verrrrrrrrr “. They sound almost comical, like cartoon sound effects.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I will be the first to admit I have been frightened on 2-3 occasions, when the noises came in the middle of the night. I turned on the lights…there definitely is the element of fear and uncertainty in the dark, and turning every light in the house on eliminates that!
But overall, I can’t say I’ve ever felt menaced, or in danger. The overwhelming feeling I have is puzzlement, plain and simple. As I’ve said, there have been times when I got the impression whatever it is was trying to communicate.
If it happened often, I’d try to get some audio recordings, but since I had a recent episode, I have a feeling it will be quiet for a while now.

I am baffled by these crazy noises. I wish I knew:
1. Just what the heck the source of them is.
2. What sets them off …why is it quiet for so long, then, out of the blue, here they come?
3. Is it just one spirit\entity\whatever?

We burn smudge and sweetgrass a lot. My girlfriend and I both love the smell, especially the sweetgrass. The Lakota Sioux say that smudge will repel unsavory spirits and sweetgrass attracts nice ones.

I guess that’s about it. Thanks to any of you who had the patience to read this.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

Wow, what an active house you live in !

Well, I've had more than my fair share of haunting experiences ... 3 places where I've lived have had resident ghosts (including where I live now ... only yesterday the very large Rubber Plant that sits on an old writing box in my bay window, literally leapt from the bowl it stands in and landed about 3ft across the room - the bowl flew in the other direction and landed between the writing box and the radiator - nothing was broken or damaged)

Besides the personal stuff I often get called out to peoples houses to help them find-out who/what is freaking them out in their own homes.

So, with all this under my belt I'd have to say that it does have many characteristics of poltergeist activity (most people think that poltergeists are negative/evil entities but this is not true in all cases ... often the spirit is frustrated because they can't attract your attention any other way than to be noisy or throw things around) ... 'POLTERGEIST = NOISY GHOST'.

Having said that ... when I was reading your OP, I had the strangest thought pop into my head that this is something 'dimensional' (as in parallel dimensions). I really can't explain why I thought that because it's not something I really know about in any detail.

The best way I can explain it is by saying it's like the principle used in the film 'The Others' with Nichole Kidman ... where she and her children lived in a house were they experienced a haunting ... they regularly heard noises and saw shadowy images ... the twist was that they were actually the ghosts and that's how they were perceiving the living people in their old house.

Sorry if this sounds complicated, but if you apply that principle to what you're experiencing but instead of ghosts its from ... well, 'you' I suppose ... in a parallel dimension. You are hearing 'crossover noise' as likely the people/'you', in the other dimension may be hearing noise from you and thinking the same thing you are ... hell the other 'you' may even be posting on the alternate dimension's version of ATS right now.

Ok, I'm going to stop now because I'm confusing myself.

(sorry i'm sure this hasn't helped at all). Woody

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Thanks for your reply. I too have read about "pan-dimensional" or extra-dimensional realities as a possible explanation for some of these phenomena.
I have really taken an interest in this stuff the last couple years.
I saw "The Others"...good movie.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

No probs and yes, it was a good movie.

As I said in my previous post I really don't know very much about parallel dimensions (I 'get it', but it fries my brain if I try to think about it to deeply)

It really sounds like you have an interesting house though ... I shall be interested to hear what happens next. Do you keep a log/diary about the occurances ... if not it might be worth doing ... even though they seem irregular and spasmodic, you might notice a common link of some kind if you keep a record (just a thought).

Woody

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
interesting stories, what do you want to do about them? do you want them in your house? or do you want it to stop?

Keeper

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Very interesting

Just curious if you have made any attempt to record, photgraph the phenomena happening at your place?

Some evidence would be awesome

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

I can't say I'd be disappointed if it stopped completely, but as I said, there were
only a couple times that I was really spooked. It's been more interesting than scary. It's such a mystery.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, so there wouldn't be anything to photograph.
I would love to have audio recordings of some of these bizarre noises, but they
are pretty infrequent. I do have a recorder which I'm going to get a fresh tape for. Next time the sounds return, I'll just leave it on 'record' and hopefully will capture something. The noises sometimes come fast and furious, when they come.

In fact, I think I'll just leave the recorder going and see if I pick up anything.
I'll try it tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by lw2525
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, so there wouldn't be anything to photograph.
I would love to have audio recordings of some of these bizarre noises, but they
are pretty infrequent. I do have a recorder which I'm going to get a fresh tape for. Next time the sounds return, I'll just leave it on 'record' and hopefully will capture something. The noises sometimes come fast and furious, when they come.

In fact, I think I'll just leave the recorder going and see if I pick up anything.
I'll try it tomorrow.

Just one point to consider......not all phenomenen can be picked up with the naked eye. If possible it may pay off by leaving camera running overnight. Anyway hope you get something

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
My sisters house in Avon Ohio was definately haunted. My Mom stayed with them for 6 months after she had her first baby. My brother in law, sister, and Mom would hear what sounded like conversation coming from the second floor. Go down and check to make sure the tv wasn't left on. Mom had nice set up in basement, she would have some candles lit at times, and an icy breeze would blow them out at times. House was newer construction. Not some old farmhouse. They found out from the neighbors that the house was previously owned by some christians who regularly had prayer services, in the basement. We painted the inside when they first moved in. I went back two weeks later to scrape and paint the exterior and felt a very oppressive presence.
Although they didn't live there long, two years, the spirits should have known better to take on a 5ft nothin' slovak church lady. She nuked that place with holy water and the emanations greatly diminished.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments. Oz...I think I'll do as you've suggested and leave the camera running. Maybe I'll get something.

jpm... That's a spooky story. It sounds like that place was haunted, no doubt.

top topics

join