It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of people disappear every year

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Missing Statistics

They've already been brought up and challenged in various ways, but I don't think the missing persons statistics given in the source article have been adequately verified.

From the source article:

In the U.S. alone there are reports of over 10,000,000 people going missing per year. Out of this figure 500,000 are never found. Some of these people are victims of crimes but some are just gone.

Skeptic that I am, whenever I see claims like these, I seek corroboration to make sure they're not bogus.

After all, it's wise not to believe everything you read on the Internet, you know.

Sure enough, I have been unable to find any credible source (or any other source, credible or not, for that matter) which claims anywhere near those numbers.

I started with a google search and went from there.

So far the most authoritative source I've seen is this:

From NCIC Missing Person and Unidentified Person Statistics for 2006:

The National Crime Information Center's (NCIC's) Missing Person File was implemented in 1975. Records in the Missing Person File are retained indefinitely, until the individual is located, or the record is canceled by the entering agency.

[...]

As of December 31, 2006, there were 110,484 active missing person records in the NCIC. Juveniles under the age of 18 account for 58,763 (53.18 %) of the records and 12,657 (11.46 %) were for juveniles between the ages of 18 and 20.

Now granted not every disappearance will necessarily make it into the NCIC's database, but the Missing Person File is the place where missing persons reports from law enforcement agencies all over the U.S. have been collected for over thirty years.

And according to them, the total number of active missing persons files they had on 12/31/2006 was 110,484. That cumulative total from thirty-one years falls far, far short of 500,000 permanent disappearances per year. Additionally, the NCIC added 836,131 records in 2006 -- not even close to 10,000,000 -- and 851,940 were cleared that same year.

Again, I can accept that not every case makes it into the NCIC database, but if law enforcement is involved, it's supposed to.

In light of the vast discrepancies between the claims made in the source article versus any other source I could find, I suspect they are false.

Of course I could be wrong, so I invite anyone who can to validate the figures given in the source article.

All that said, even the official statistics -- though far less spectacular -- are nothing to sneeze at. If we believe them, over a hundred thousand people have gone missing without explanation in the past three decades.

Every one of them is someone's child, friend, spouse or relative, and I'm sure they would like to know what happened more than anyone else.

[edit on 4/6/2008 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Every one of them is someone's child, friend, spouse or relative, and I'm sure they would like to know what happened more than anyone else.

Furthermore, I am sure that in many cases, especially those involving children, the parents, spouse or relatives already know what happened to the missing one - they just wouldn't want anyone else to find it out...

Still, there ARE genuinely baffling disappearances.
If there were only a handful or so from among the millions reported, they would still be mind-boggling.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Hey now...

You wanted us to entertain the idea that no fossils exist, only rock. At least give this theory a chance then.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
* A less known theory is that it is possible to enter other dimensions while dreaming in your sleep. The idea is that if you practice "lucid dreaming" (dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming) there is the danger of entering another world or time-line...by which your existence and also your body disappear in this world.

Heh, maybe that's why I've been failing to lucid dream the last many months
Some kind of paranormal safety switch to protect me from warping away from this reality.

Maybe the people that are never found are just crime related, but may also contain people that want to start anew with their lives?

If they leave their past behind they won't be found that easily.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Those stats don't make it clear how many of the missing persons were actually found, though. Plus they have many reasons not to include some people in the database.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
It is also important to keep in mind here, that the statistics are only a guideline. When I studied Criminal Justice in college I learned that the FBI Uniform Crime Report largely understates the numbers of actual events or cases for various reasons. In the case of missing persons, many people go missing without ever being reported.

[edit on 4/7/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Well we know that a contractor of Halliburton is in all sorts of sex slave/work slave all over the world, kidnapping around 1.2 million people every year, selling them to rich people in the middle-east, asia, mafias, pedophiles rings, to presidents (US presidents, half kidding)... there's a lot of sick people around the world.

But when you have everything in your life and you find life in general boring, you start doing sick stuff like having sex with children, doing drugs, killing people... something to give you high rushes of adrenaline... without being caught, because you pay other people to clean the mess, or you frame someone else for what you've done.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Cool Post.

Let me ask all of you naysayers this.

If you were in the middle of taking a shower while alone in the house one day and actually did experience a phenomenon such as a time slip, alien abdution,dimensional slip, or other, you would no doubt be freaked out. that is assuming you lived thru such an event. Now, wherever/whenever
you ended up is now your home where you will have to figure out how to survive and get by. Being totally freaked out as to how all of this could have happened to you, wouldn't it be even more upsetting to know that
absolutely no one back home will ever be able to figure out what in the hell ever happened to you???

Keep an open mind

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I found this info on Steve today and thought you might to have a look at it here is the link to the video

www.zetatalk.com...

I realy don't know what to make of this woman

One less missing person in the world

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone has ever done a study to see if worldwide sightings of UFOs bear any correlation to incidences of disappearances worldwide.

Personally I don't have the time (or the know how) to undertake such research, but it would be interesting to see if a decrease or increase in UFO sightings in a given area corresponds with a decrease or increase of missing persons in that area. Also, does an increase in UFO sightings worldwide correspond to an increase in missing persons worldwide, and vice versa.

Interesting thread

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I just watch a program about disappearances

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
was it called "A Jolley Ole BBC teley progrumme About How Jolley Good Folk Go A Wee Bit Missin'?

I dunno why I decided to make fun of Europeans but..... ahhh you crazy Shellaley havin' shirefolk.

I'm sure that's exactly how Europe looks, too. Hobbits and Bob Geldoff.

Just kidding. and kinda off topic.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

call me a sneaky monkie - but thats EXACTLY how i would stage a disapearence

i would leave my house like the mary celeste - in my specific case :

a half eaten slice of chocolate cheese cake and 1/2 a cup of cofffee sat next to my work station - which would be logged on to ATS with a half compsed reply to a thread

because - every one who knew me will swear that i would NEVER abandon choclolate cheese cake - LOL

aditionally - the only things i would take from my house would be my slippers and dressing gown

it would be hard to abandon ` priceless ` stuff - but sacrifices have to be made

my point is that people who do such thinks - think of such reactions and leave the scene the way they want people to find it

if i left the house and when my freinds were asked to ` inventory ` what was missing - and they told the police that my best hiking boots - my gotetex jacket , favourite back pack - lap top and a load of travel essentials were gone - the police would assume i had skipped the country and gone below the radar

do not leave a trail that points to where you went - leave totally bogus ` clues ` that will leave people scratching thier heads

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
hmm the number of children going missing per yr is also frightening.

Much can be tied to criminal activities but yes, there are far too many, the numbers are staggering.

alarming in fact but it isn't made public. People just don't realise the amount of people who are unaccounted for, I feel it is a real consipiracy...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Well we know that a contractor of [xxxxx] is in all sorts of sex slave/work slave all over the world, kidnapping around 1.2 million people every year, selling them to rich people in the middle-east, asia, mafias, pedophiles rings, to presidents (US presidents, half kidding)... there's a lot of sick people around the world.

I don't wish to point my finger directly at anyone, but you are right with what you say. Human life is worth money to some people/organisations.

It is just another commodity

The poorer the country the easier it is to take advantage.

Remember how many paedophiles were arrested after the Boxing Day Tsunami? These mongrels went in because there were lots of orphans vulnerable post Tsunami.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

All that said, even the official statistics -- though far less spectacular -- are nothing to sneeze at. If we believe them, over a hundred thousand people have gone missing without explanation in the past three decades.

Thanks for doing the proper google research and adding the more conservative and verifiable numbers.

Of course, to go back a little to "speculation and extrapolation" I will add this:

* The United States is not the only country in the world. If 100 000 missing are unaccounted for in the U.S. the probability would be that its a figure of millions worldwide.

* If we factor in "loners" who dont get reported, we can double that amount.

* If we factor in a possible "cover-up" we can increase that amount again.

So, yes...the figures in the referenced article seem exaggerated. And the figures from the official authority seem downplayed. The truth will be somewhere in the middle.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moegli
If I knew about the possibility of entering a parallel universe whilst dreaming lucidly, I would have been reluctant to make any effort exploring the dream realm. Now that the ability to enter the dream realm is hard wired into my subconscious, I will take caution. Come to think of it, how do I know that I still reside in my original reality if the difference between the realities are almost unnoticeable? Highly doubt it, but a scary thought indeed.

I dont favour the idea of discouragement from lucid dreaming as I like to practice it myself. Maybe its only a myth. The myth is that if you enter a dreamscape that is physically manifest somewhere, you can "disappear" from here. This however is supposed to be a "rare occurence". Myth also states that in dreamscape you are warned/protected from such events by your gut-feeling that its not good to go certain places.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Commemorate the missing

Who the hell has time to research all this, let alone commemorate the missing? Its kind of sad that our attention span wont go beyond much of anything but ourselves.

But for anyone who does have the time, these seem to be the main questions brought up by our posts:

1. How much of this is crime/kidnapping, how much is paranormal (time-slip, alien abduction, etc.)?

2. Any reports of people coming to OUR dimension, appearing from nowhere? (Psych ward employees please enter info here)

Ignorant_Ape: Despite the validity of your points, its still pretty difficult to fake I.D. and just disappear nowdays.

Survival implies getting a job or welfare. This implies identification. Unless the disappearance is government-sponsored, its difficult. Possible sure...but difficult.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
These numbers are way off. I'm sure that some people go missing for specific reasons and others go missing for reasons unknown, but I don't believe the numbers are that high.

You have to account for identity theft and illegal immigrants. People are able to create social security numbers and wreck havoc on the system. I'm sure that's a big problem.

Then account for all the fake people that are created to steal and infilitrate from the system. They even bring back the dead for votes.

I'm basically just saying those are computed numbers. They can be manipulated from any source for any purpose.

Good thing the census is around the corner. I'm sure that will be a big load of BS with the illegal immigration problem.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
i think we can debate all day long what happened to adult missing persons, because most people will agree, with a little bit of imagination, you can disappear irretrievably, even if it costs your life. this possibility cannot be discounted easily, although it sounds like a cop-out, because the entire 'feel' of disappearances is too uniform and media silence is too deafening on the subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

missing children otoh, are extremely unlikely to fake or enact their own disappearance, so that's probably the most compelling argument in favor of a conspiracy. there are more incidents, which of course indicate that there's a body to the iceberg's tip, that people are actually harvested industrially, IF the information we see is genuine, of course.

take Ciudad Juarez www.geocities.com... for example, all victims female, aged 15-25, some have turned up dead in the desert, often having been missing for months, clearly a coordinated effort. tales of rape and mutilation make a good red herring, imho, the real reason is probably related to the medical field (f-ex. stem cells), considering the scale of the operation in this town alone.

again, if these were just isolated incidents, why would the media fail so reliably to report?

www.abovetopsecret.com... (

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join