It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Christianity's problem with extraterrestrial life?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
In an interesting article that was recently published it mentioned that in nearly every religion there is someone who went to a mountain top to receive the word of god. What was found in many of the intrepid adventurers that reach the summit (the death zone) of large mountains such as Everest is that a lack of oxygen to the brain gives them hallucinations... and even the near death experience of being in a dark tunnel with a bright light at the end.

Kind of makes you think....

Always a fountain of information on things I never thought about before infraredman! My goodness! What you're saying in your second paragraph is very intriguing! Of course this is not to say that true information is not transmitted "from above" when in altered states of consciousness and even the Egyptians had that "coming of age" ritual involving oxygen deprivation to attain "enlightenment" -- and probably many other ancient cultures had similar ritual processes in one form or another for this purpose too.

As for the OP's post on concerns if good Christians are permitted to believe that there's intelligent life outside of our own world, my only suggestion to this member would be to be careful to stay clear of mind controlling religious cults.

No one should be telling you what you are allowed to believe and what you are not. One of the most precious gifts God gave you was "free will"... so use it intelligently and don't let anybody take that away from you!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

great great post TRN! My thoughts exactally on the demon side of things. There's NOTHING in scripture that suggests that demons are able to 'make' technology.

We had a awesome pastor from Alaska preach last year at our church and his youngest son drowned in a pool even with the family and friends around. His son was a good swimmer. In weeping, he asked God.."I just don't understand..." God's reply was..."Son, there are many things in this world you will never understand, somethings are best left up to me" I'm not suggesting that God 'killed' his son. Ok? All i'm saying is that somethings in life you just have to 'trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and do not lean on your own understanding but acknowledge him in all your ways and HE will direct your path"

Personally, in trying to keep in line of this thinking, God will reveal in time to us, his children, what all this means. I know personally I've ask multiple times over the course of 30 years and never got a single answer. This is the only question that 'seems' to go unanswered.

I'm not entirely sure it's military or not. Based on experiences that have happened in my life starting as a young child and even up to this moment, I tend to think that there's something/someone observing us. I believe it's 50/50. 50% of what we experience is extraterrestrial and 50% of it is military. Trying to figure out which is which, is always the big question.

"...No benevolent race would possibly think us worthy of anything but exile, and no malevolent race would allow us to exist. Therefore, no race would be visiting the planet quietly." However TRN, what if they knew there were people that didn't believe in wholesale slaughter of mankind, that weren't selfish, and truly believed that living in peace with all men was at the center of their belief, would they try and give them a second chance? Like Star Trek TNG...observe and assist without compromising their culture. I mean, you have to give some deep thought to that end. Put yourself in TNG's side of view. Exposing a culture to early can be HUGELY devastating!! (please insert episode here ...)

My question as of late, based upon early childhood events, do 'they' some how know who is who in the future? Are all the people that have had some sort of contact truly good deep down in their soul?

This, to me, seems to be the common thread and are 'they' reveling this experience to certain types of people of this kind of nature? People in general that refuse to make enemies or carry a chip on their shoulder? It's odd, because most of the sightings are from people that are by themselves and of good nature. It seems to be something that I've noticed as of late.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I am a christian, i have been a christian since i was 4 years old and i can honestly say I have no idea if there's extraterrestial in the sense of common stereotype on how it is believed to be. The bible doesn't make it clear and in my opinion if there is life out there eventually it will be revealed but for the time being we need to be focusing on what we are to do here first, maybe God decided to not put it in the bible for reasons that are unknown Anyways, I believe there is other life besides us, the bible is perfectly clear about that. There is a Spirit world outside our natural perception that inhabits the earth. If you want to call that extraterrestrial life it definitely fits the description. But, it is my personal belief upon with i have no facts from the bible or scientific that there is other life out there and if there isn't eventually there will be. The universe is billions of years old we have only experienced the most recent 6000 years of it, a good question would be "What existed before us?" obviously God is keeping those facts from us, we do know there was a world before us via archeologist digs of prehistoric preportions.
hope this helps

Keeper

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I think its just laughable..
How could you ever believe in some guy with a white beard, faring the sky's on a cloud, only because a book which got altered too many times, and is written so some people got to power, says so?

But then people DONT believe in other life, while we alone are proof of life in this universe.
Let alone the numbers of planets, the numbers of earth like planets, all the evidence we gathered, all the witness accounts from powerfull or in-high place people.

Remeber, only one of all these people, photo's or vids have to be real...

Are they really that DUMB, are they really that unreasonable?

People laughing at alien believers is the world on its upside down, there should be laughed at people who DONT believe instead.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb
I am a christian, i have been a christian since i was 4 years old and i can honestly say I have no idea if there's extraterrestial in the sense of common stereotype on how it is believed to be. The bible doesn't make it clear and in my opinion if there is life out there eventually it will be revealed but for the time being we need to be focusing on what we are to do here first, maybe God decided to not put it in the bible for reasons that are unknown Anyways, I believe there is other life besides us, the bible is perfectly clear about that. There is a Spirit world outside our natural perception that inhabits the earth. If you want to call that extraterrestrial life it definitely fits the description. But, it is my personal belief upon with i have no facts from the bible or scientific that there is other life out there and if there isn't eventually there will be. The universe is billions of years old we have only experienced the most recent 6000 years of it, a good question would be "What existed before us?" obviously God is keeping those facts from us, we do know there was a world before us via archeologist digs of prehistoric preportions.
hope this helps

Keeper

The bible doesnt make it clear?
Read the bible again in the context of aliens, then it all makes perfect sense.

Jesus flying up into a cloud?

God speaking to Moses in a silver cloud which was surrounded by fire and thunder? Doesnt that exactly says whe was entering the atmosphere? in a sliver cloud (ship)?

Jesus telling people he came from another world? Why didnt he say im from heaven? no he said world.

Mary being inpragnated without having seks?

Man if you think about all these things jesus did it makes so much sense if you think about advanced alien technologies, included the inpregnation of Mary.. 2008 years later we do it to...

The bible IS a book about aliens, its frustrating people just dont see it, because to me its so clear...

Read it while having the possibility in mind god and jesus were aliens using alien tech.

sty

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Interesting points. This ideea of " there is no ET" i guess is originated from the medieval christianity and not so much from the Bible. First , the inquisition would burn whoever would say that Earth is not the center of the universe . Then we discovered that actually Earth is round and rotates around the Sun. Then , we discovered that evey star is just another Sun. Then , we discovered our Galaxy. At this point we believed that our galaxy is the universe. Latter on we discovered more and more galaxies. Every time when we discovered something , we pushed the man more and more away from the central point of this universe. Yet, Christianity survived, and understood the reality. Next step - understanding that noone would create an Universe with countelss stars and planets, with perfect phisical constants to host life, yet life to be allowed to Earth alone. It is like you would say "I am going to build the largest greenhouse on Earth so I can plant one seed". My opinion - if the Universe was created with the purpose to host life, then it would do it!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Ever since Tesla said he could communicate with planets and other worlds
the press and the subjects of mass indoctrination have kept up the
complete and utter nonsense.

What was Tesla's communication: a radio beacon.. we still do that sham today.

Tesla had a power beam to power other worlds.. other planets more like it
and the earth rotates buddy or did he have bendable beams.

We, as a race of humans, saw God, that is some people did when Jesus
was around, before we saw any intelligent alien life forms (IALFs) and is
Vegas taking any bets on any of us seeing IALFs before any of us see God.

Don't think so... Vegas knows whats real and are not taking any bets
on IALFs showing up.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
i am a Christian but i think ufo,aliens and stuff like are the fallen angles the bible talks about

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasGo
i am a Christian but i think ufo,aliens and stuff like are the fallen angles the bible talks about

Did anyone ever talk to you about Tesla and about things that no one ever
talks about in relation to Tesla?

There is a lot to talk about.

People are coming on ATS with hordes of UFO photos and they never
ever heard of Tesla.

Isn't that strange.

We know about angles and bibles and aliens and ufos but nothing
about Tesla. He made bright glowing things in the sky too.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Ever since Tesla said he could communicate with planets and other worlds
the press and the subjects of mass indoctrination have kept up the
complete and utter nonsense.

What was Tesla's communication: a radio beacon.. we still do that sham today.

Tesla had a power beam to power other worlds.. other planets more like it
and the earth rotates buddy or did he have bendable beams.

We, as a race of humans, saw God, that is some people did when Jesus
was around, before we saw any intelligent alien life forms (IALFs) and is
Vegas taking any bets on any of us seeing IALFs before any of us see God.

Don't think so... Vegas knows whats real and are not taking any bets
on IALFs showing up.

I would have to agree with you there.. I think it is more likely that Jesus would show up for the Second Coming than the world being introduced to IALF's any time soon, and you never know... it could all happen in our life time.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by misswanderer31

Yeah, I think you caught my drift.
I think I should have phrased it .. before we see any intelligent like forms.
After the final hour, we won't need any alien stories.

People say the bible and Christianity is stories.
And Aliens are mostly stories to some people.
But it apples and oranges as far as stories is concerned.

Back to extraterrestrial like: we need to know where the closest amoeba
to earth is located?

No. NASA and space is all an Illuminati gravy train.
Gravy train funded by taxes.
They have Gore working on the carbon tax. Hill too.
traitors to common sense and science since they push the erroneous
science sanctioned by and pushed on us by the Illuminati. See Endgam3.

Gas Taxes due to pump prices is funding the war.
How smart can you get by suppressing the true science of Tesla's
gaseous ether.

It would sure help out the airlines now.

[edit on 4/9/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

[edit on 4/9/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
The problem stems from Biblical literalist types that see the Bible in its entirety as the inerrant WORD of THE LORD and of all his creation thereafter. Extraterrestrial life is anathema to that type of Biblical interpretation, hence the problem. That is also one of the reasons that evolution is such a hot issue; the Bible does not mention it--in fact, seemingly contradicts it--so it must not be possible.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Im convinced one of Satans best tools would be to use alien beings/reptilians to claim Christ doesnt exist. Afterall, Satans first appearance on earth was as a snake.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by topsecretombomb
Im convinced one of Satans best tools would be to use alien beings/reptilians to claim Christ doesnt exist. Afterall, Satans first appearance on earth was as a snake.

It's Satans number one goal to make us disbelieve in God. He is after all the father of deceit and lies. Revelations chapter 12 describes Satan as a dragon... and we know a dragon has scales of sort.

Though I also believe there are other worlds with life on them... I dont think we shall know them or see them until after the second coming... it is my thought/thinking.

sty

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BasGo

Well, you are close then. Indeed, the ancient culture is very clear about "Gods" visiting the Earth , having their own agenda and from time to time interfering with humans on Earth. People would represent thins kind of people as winged creatures - this is how it god stuck in our culture that the angels should have wings - it is just the clue that they were able to fly! The good news is that not all the angels are fallen , according to the Bible only 1/3 followed Lucifer , so we would still have 2/3 of benevolent creatures. Maybe this explains why we are still here - we are under a protection umbrela..
I recommand the book of Enoch, it is a very good source of information about the angels-falling story. The Bible still gives quotes from the book of Enoch , so it is worth reading a bit!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Greetings all,

A good thread, certainly!
This is a topic I've always found interesting, not just as it relates to Christianity, but other religions as well, like Judaism which actually has a lot to say about the subject, surprisingly enough. With regards to Christianity, certainly the Mormons (LDS) don't have any problem with the notion of Extraterrestrial life, because the planet Kobol is where God lives, in a manner of speaking, and there is a doctrine which states that eventually the faithful will be given their own planet to populate and rule over. I've also heard people claim that the wheel in Ezekiel (the chariot) was actually some sort of UFO, which I think is not the case personally based on examining the Hebrew text (I think it's describing something else altogether), but this theory is a possibility I've heard some christians at least flirt with.

As a student of comparative religion, I think it's interesting to note that According to Hebrew texts, and even the Torah (and particularly the Zohar) have emphatically stated that there are many inhabited worlds in the Universe, which I think is interesting. I remember a passage Book of Judges 5:23, Devorah the prophetess sings about the victory of Barak over Sisera. In her song, she says, "Cursed be Maroz! Cursed, cursed be it's inhabitants, says the angel of G-d!" I know the Lubavitcher Rebbe, as well as the Ari'zal maintained that Maroz was a planet (there is also a Talmudic teaching regarding this as well), and that their inhabitants were supposed to come to the Israelites aid in their battle against the Canaanites, and did not, and as a result a curse was placed on them. I remember Areyeh Kaplan writing about this topic agreed and was of the opinion (although to be fair he admits that this is a disputed matter in some circles) that there are many inhabited worlds, and that the inhabitants on the other planets are different from us in that "they are not created in our image and do not have free will as we do." This does bring up the issue, as he stated, that if the inhabitants of Maroz didn't have free-will, why would they be subject to being cursed? This is a matter of speculation but the notion seems to imply that they have a limited kind of free-will not on par with the human race. I find this an interesting matter, and I must admit it does raise some interesting questions.

There seems to be more emphasis placed on beings of a trans-dimensional nature, which is an interesting topic as well. I don't want to go heavy into it, but there are descriptions of races of beings which have peculiar similarities to some beings described in modern UFO terminology-- particularly small nose-less grey individuals, and also a "reptilian" or "Dragon-like" race as well. This becomes a complicated matter, because these would be potentially races of "Angels" or "Demons," and it seems that they have some kind of physical form, but there is a variety of opinions regarding this. The matter of the Nephilim is also an interesting one, which I remember someone mentioning in an earlier post, and clearly there is the passage regarding the Fallen-Angels coming down and taking human wives and creating offspring, which were so horrible/wicked they had to be wiped out in the Flood. As to just how these Fallen Ones came down, now that is open to interpretation.

Anyhow, I could get further into this stuff if anyone's interested, but to add something for the OP's consideration, I don't t think that the notion of the existence of extra-terrestrial life has to necessarily be at odds with Christianity, it certainly doesn't seem to be at odds with the Torah or Judaism.

Peace
-Hex23

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hexagram23

Hey hexagram23

I enjoyed reading your post. It was very insightful. I think you mean "Kolob" not Kobol... you are getting it mixed up with the planet from Battlestar Galactica.

Kolob is the closest planet to where God resides...

The LDS believe that eventually as it reads in the KJV of the Bible (Corinthians Chapter 15) that after the millenium and after everyone is judged, they will be appointed to 3 different kingdoms or planets... the highest being the Celestial, then the Terrestrial and then the Telestial. There is also Outer darkness... where that will be I don't know but according to their beliefs it is where the extremely bad people will go...

Moses also saw a vision of the many worlds God created. God said to Moses that he created them for his own purpose and that he would not give him an accounting of them. God said that there are too many worlds for us humans to number, but they are numbered unto him....

God created us in his image as he tells us in the bible. We are his children. That is what sets us apart, and makes us so different from the rest. We are special to him because of this. He gave us free agency I believe to choose our own path in this life, to determine where we end up in the next life.

I also believe that there are other worlds out there that have intelligent life on them. Are they visiting us? Probably but the truth is either hidden or there is just no proof as yet? It is interesting however to compare and see how other religions view life beyond this world.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hi there,

Yep, I meant Kolob, not Kobol- I had a dyslexic moment,
. Speaking of Battlestar Galactica, I had read somewhere that Glen Larson was a member of LDS and based a lot of the concepts in the show on LDS doctrine, anyone have confirmatino on this?

Peace,
Hex23

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hexagram23

Yes he is an LDS member, and some of it was based on LDS beliefs.

You can find it here: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hello, original poster - Good Wolf here.

There has been a lot of insight posted here and I thank you all for sharing.

Going back to the question I asked and something occurred to me. The individual who pushed me to start this thread is one Robert Dodds of Gore, New Zealand. I asked if he thought that the current UFO phenomenon was extraterrestrial or military or demon activity. He went on to inform me that Aliens did not exist as if I should have know this. I said "What makes you think that?" And he said "I just do."

This is the tune that many "Christians" ring to. Maybe this kind of fundamentalism is particularly strong in my area but it doesn't seem yu guys have encountered what I have.

The thing that occurred to me is that most of the christian presence here are the type who get roped into it from infancy and stay in the unchallenging safety of the church. I don't consider these people 'actual' christians any more because they just don't know what they do and they can't see their own hypocrisy.

Robert is one of many whose ambition in life is to be a good citizen, and extraterrestrial life is just to challenging of a concept. As it is I'm sort of looked at as a heretic of sorts for considering such views.

[edit on 4/19/2008 by Good Wolf]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join