It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Still Studying Clandestine Use of Blogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

rawstory.com

It was revealed this week by Wired that a study written for the U.S. Special Operations Command in 2006 recommended "clandestinely recruiting or hiring prominent bloggers" in order to promote messages favorable to the military. It also raised the possibility of altering an "enemy blog" by hacking to destroy its credibility or use it to spread false information.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This is pretty scary stuff, our gov/mil hiring propagandists to not write the truth, but to write propaganda, making the US look favorable in the war on terror and any other current event that puts the US in a bad light?

This is similar to newspeak, 1984 George Orwells nightmare novel concerning the advancement of the police state and big brother run rampant.

The US also had an Office of Strategic Influence all ready to go live in the US, to influence information through PSYOPS psychological operations.

The Office of Strategic Influence, or OSI, was a department created by the United States Department of Defense on October 30, 2001, to support the War on Terrorism through psychological operations in targeted countries. The closure of the office was announced by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld soon after its existence became publicly known.

en.wikipedia.org...

Was it really shutdown?

Some argue that due to its secretive nature and stated purposes the existence of such an agency would be hard to determine. In fact, in November 2002, Rumsfeld stated in an interview that only the name of the office was abolished, that it still exists and continues to fulfill its original intended purposes.[1] Much of the OSI's responsibilities were shifted to the Information Operations Task Force.

en.wikipedia.org...

rawstory.com

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Maybe I am paranoid, but I have been posting on a forum run by my local AM radio station that runs Laura Ingraham's show.
I noticed that as soon as I starting posting on 9-11 topics, a man joined the forum and attacked every single post I would make.
He admits to being ex-military and had done work for the government in Central America, maybe involved in "conter-insurgency".
Very anoying and bitterly attacked me for saying the military was involved in Waco.
He tried to say that armored vehicles are not "arms".
That, to me, is disinformation.
He seems to have a night job working for the government, but it seems all he does is post and look up articles on the internet.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This does not suprise me in the least...Take a look at many of the war posts and gov threads here...There is always groups of folks who are rambling up and down the entire front page spewing rhetoric of how awesome war and the gov are, and to "just accept it"...Not hard to figure out who some of these people are and where their loyalties lie. This has been going on for some time. It's damage control, and 'directing the flow' of conversation, through intimidation and ridicule...Some of the oldest procedures in the book from the Military and gov agencies.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Some people have that as a hobby, interested in all things war, like planes, ships, armament etc. Others have hobbies of historical wars or battles, it doesn't mean these people are disinfo artists.

Granted there may be some that are, but you most likely will not so easily spot these people, they most likely would be pretty polished and professional at the job.

In any case, it is also feasible that the gov project in question has already started, been implemented for quite some time and we're just hearing about it now.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Does this not sound like what happened with anonymous with regards to mister.old.school's thread?

Sounds very familiar and I don't doubt that it happens...

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I see that type of behavior here at ATS as well. Sudden new members that must have found the threads via google or something, and then all they do is be nasty in their denials of whatever the topic is. And there is no convincing them either, to the point that you want to smash their face with a pie, that it is so ridiculous their position.

I look forward to seeing more in this thread. I would really be interested if any of the military propaganda blogs had been 'outed'. It seems to me that the 'blogging' community would sniff false propaganda out fairly fast, but then again maybe they are so integrated...
DocMoreau

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Does this not sound like what happened with anonymous with regards to mister.old.school's thread?

Sounds very familiar and I don't doubt that it happens...

Did I miss something? Is that a example here at ATS. Sorry for the short post, for some reason I didn't get an edit button.

DocMoreau

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Dont worry ATS holds most of the Number One spots in searches for these topics, as long as ATS is here, those Blogs on back alley BS boards will be overshadowed by sheer volume..... We could find these posts an blogs an reply for the real story head here.... lol

Internet is the People's Machine..... Good luck using it otherwise..... Corps an big entities dont have a chance online since every other joe shmo has the ability to couteract any intentions...

Heres one for the google bots...

" Big Brother can spy on us " But surely lil brother knows the nooks an crannies that matter an can use them to spread info of the factual nature.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau
Did I miss something? Is that a example here at ATS. Sorry for the short post, for some reason I didn't get an edit button.

DocMoreau

Anonymous Thread

In my opinion, a great example of what this thread is discussing. Read the entire thread and you'll see many instances of intentional off topic posts designed to dissuade from the topic.

Their was a thread on 711chan.org/xenu that was essentially a call to arms of anonymous to show up at the thread and derail it.

I saved the link, but it doesn't work anymore...I will attempt to locate the page, but I have not much hope....

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I can not even count the number of times I have seen this happen. Many times it is the same 2 or 3 individuals who continuously pop up on a thread, and either start drawing the focus of thread away to a different subject matter, or begin "baiting" with personal attacks, which leads to a "back-and-forth", which in turn gets the thread shut down...It works like a charm, and my guess is that this is exactly WHY these individuals are doing this---They are here to disrupt dissent by crushing discussion and information sharing.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

You mean this page:

/5tyhjp

[edit on 5-4-2008 by battlestargalactica]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Wow. I remember reading the beginning of that thread while it was starting up. It lost my interest, so I stopped following it. What a read...

It seems that I had gotten too comfortable as of late around here, not thinking about how deeply entrenched certain 'agent' types had gotten. I had developed a little enclave of like minds, and the discussions were kept kinda circular.

Either way, I have woken up again...
DocMoreau

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by battlestargalactica

rawstory.com

It was revealed this week by Wired that a study written for the U.S. Special Operations Command in 2006 recommended "clandestinely recruiting or hiring prominent bloggers" in order to promote messages favorable to the military. It also raised the possibility of altering an "enemy blog" by hacking to destroy its credibility or use it to spread false information.

Yes and they also recruit entertainment industry idiots as well. The military is extremely adept at placing a carrot in front of talent. Unfortunately I will always see them as this:

Of course this always give them an opportunity to learn and hide their stupidity:

Then again- this is how they really look:

This woman is a major blogger!

Here is something to really remember when the military and the police come together:

Professional bloggers who will not be recruited as military or government friendly:

Oooops last video I forgot to mention that YAHOO is an American company...at least at the time of this writing.......Hello?

[edit on 16-4-2008 by dk3000]

top topics

join