It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers have as much as $196M invested in defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Lawmakers have as much as $196M invested in defense

www.usatoday.com

Members of Congress have as much as $196 million collectively invested in companies doing business with the Defense Department, earning millions since the onset of the Iraq war, according to a study by a non-partisan research group.

The review of lawmakers' 2006 financial disclosure statements, by the Washington-based Center for Responsive Politics, suggests that members' holdings could pose a conflict of interest as they decide the fate of Iraq war spending.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.startribune.com
news.yahoo.com
www.boston.com

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Conflict of interest to say the least.

How can we expect Congress to get us out of the mess in Iraq and stop the warmongering of the Bush administration when they are so heavily invested in the war effort, and making big profits off of it, themselves?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I feel that this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I wonder how much is invested in subsidiaries that profit from the war but are not technically war profiteers; such as building materials, bottled water
communications, etc.

Perhaps it's just me, but profiting off of the blood of our young military men and women, is one of the most despicable things I can think of.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I hope you are kidding about the insider trading tips. That is exactly how we got ourselves into this mess, having the profit motive supersede moral imperatives.

But to answer your question about ancillary industries that are profiting from the war:

Not all the companies invested in by lawmakers are typical defense contractors. Corporations such as PepsiCo, IBM, Microsoft and Johnson & Johnson have at one point received defense-related contracts, the report notes.

edit: Thanks for changing your post. I knew that comment wasn't like you. I had the impression you were kidding, but others might not be so sure.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Sounds to me like another good reason for term limits, and an independent ethics enforcement system for ALL branches of government. But, we all know the likelihood of that happening.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I hope you are kidding about the insider trading tips. That is exactly how we got ourselves into this mess, having the profit motive supersede moral imperatives.

edit: Thanks for changing your post. I knew that comment wasn't like you. I had the impression you were kidding, but others might not be so sure.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Icarus Rising]

IR, I was being facetious and soon realized that my sarcasm often can be mis interpreted as I rarely use those smiley things. Perhaps I should.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
HUGE star and flag...

This is one of the most overwhelmingly important issues in modern times, and one that probably 80% of the population is totally clueless about...THIS is why these scum-bags keep perpetuating these conflicts!!! The M.I.C., gov and corporations are all one giant money and power grabbing entity!! I hope that people star and flag the heck out of this thread and keep it at the top---Everyone needs to be aware of why we are in the mess we are!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the positive responses, guys (and/or gals). This is really the crux of the matter. As long as our leadership is willing, more than willing, to set aside moral imperatives for their own personal gain and career advancement, there will be no peaceful end to the bloodshed and corruption. It will only increase until it consumes everything we have worked so hard for so long to build up in the name of freedom and decency.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

It is already fast approaching that track...President Eisonhower warned against letting the M.I.C. / Gov relationship getting too powerful, and he was 100% on the money...It has spun out of control so dramatically, that it may destroy us entirely. The greed and power involved has no limits, and it's going to take a monumental upheaval to change this course---One likely OUTSIDE of this polluted and corrupted system we have in place, as they are incapable of policing themselves.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Yes, I can see the system approaching overload, too. I would still like to think there is a remnant of responsible government left in this country that is maneuvering for an opportunity to put an end to the corruption and profiteering. I would sincerely like to see reform come from within what I consider to be the most user-friendly form of government the world has yet produced.

I believe it is counter-productive to advocate or foment outright armed rebellion or assassination of government figures, as I have seen increasingly lately right here on ATS. Those who seek to undermine this country are looking for excuses to continue the erosion of freedoms we have seen since 9/11. They would probably like nothing more than to put down an uprising or two.

I agree this system is broken, or near the breaking point. I still think it can be fixed through peaceful means, with thoughtful efforts.

new topics

top topics

join