It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston cops seek invites to search teens’ rooms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
SOURCE

BOSTON - Boston police will ask parents in high-crime areas to let detectives search their children's bedrooms for guns without warrants in a new anti-crime program.

Police believe parents are so worried their teenagers will be caught up in gun violence that they'll be willing to allow police into their homes. If the parents say no, the police will leave.

If you ask me, on the surface it seems like a good community project- however, this could snowball into other areas.

Davis announced the program Friday in a meeting with community leaders.

During the next two weeks, teams of three plainclothes officers assigned to schools will go to homes where they believe teens have guns and ask their parents or legal guardians for permission to search.

The program, called Safe Homes, has raised questions about civil liberties.

Thomas Nolan, a former Boston police lieutenant who teaches criminology at Boston University, called it "an end run around the Constitution."

"The police have restrictions on their authority and ability to conduct searches," he said. "The Constitution was written with a very specific intent, and that was to keep the law out of private homes unless there is a written document signed by a judge and based on probable cause. Here, you don't have that."

You dont have that because we are entering or in the middle of a totalitarian state, and as i said before, the government is empowering police officers with lots more than meets the eye.

CRITICS TOO INTIMIDATED TO SAY "NO"!

Again, the parents here are being indoctrinated to start allowing police into their homes at any hour of day or night.
Also, they are setting the stage for more visits and more trouble to an entire family.

Today its kids weapons, tomorrow, it will be because they observed the mother on the phone while the kid was crying, the next day the will have reason to suspect other activities which are unfounded...
There would be no end to this and its really worrysome.

From what i hear, the problem starts next week in poor areas, problem areas, but this is just a start- they have to start some place.

Anyway, what do you think of this?

Please, leave: "If you dont have anything to worry about, then you should be OK"

That's old, tired, and its not the meaning of this thread.

Anyone else concerned?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
When they leave peoples homes, what parting gifts will they place in the vents, etc.. ?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It has potential to be abused, I suspect. However, I would lean more towards the expected results that the car search has taken. It is well known that when a cop asks you to search your car, you can say no and not have any ramifications. In the event that you can demonstrate ramifications, typically the police run into some big problems...

I do have some concerns about it, though. First, they're using plainclothes cops to do this. That has criminal abuse potential up the wazoo. Impersonating cops was something the mob did very well to take down rivals, and it's possible that this could make it easier. On the plus note, it might lower the chances of little kids caught in the cross fire of drive-by shootings if the other members can just walk into the room and pop their rival.

The other concern would be what the cops would do with what they discover. If it becomes known that, if they find a gun or something in the kids room that they're going to go to jail for 12 years or something, no parent in their right mind is going to let cops protect their kids by ruining their lives.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by depth om

Exactly- this leaves things wide open for planting stuff. There's a lot of psychology here that we need to look at.
Plain clothes cops entering (invited) homes can open up a huge can of worms- namely, i think this is probably to set their ground and let YOU know they can and WILL return over anything!

These so called "invitations" may not happen on a voluntary basis at all.

What then? FORCED ENTRY?

We have to look at all the possibilities here.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
[edit on 4-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

So.. they go to the obvious trouble makers home..

Asks the parents to search their room.

Parents say "no" ..Officer leaves.

Parents say "yes" officer searches room and may or may not find guns, drugs and so forth.

Whats wrong with this program? .. Its the parents house, if they WANT to let a police officer search their kids room, its their right to allow it.

If they don't, then thats the end of it.

I swear, some of you are so hyped up and freaked out about anything that it lacks common sense.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Don't question, act appropriately.

It'll only get worse RockPuck. The real gang our children need to be protected from is the corpora-cop-mili-money masters encroaching on their very right to be human and be treated humanely.

This isn't a single separate thing going on, it's a bud at the tip of a branch on the dark tree of assumed power that's been growing since day one.

It needs to be cut down, and subserviance... even if it's comfortable, only waters the tree. Further spreading it's strange canopy over the masses.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Rock,

I think that i have the necessary common sense. You dont get it. Sure, this could be beneficial...at first. So are implants for the elderly, for pets, etc- but they have to start someplace.
Once they are able to enter the home by "invite" it will continue from there without a doubt!!!
I'm talking about the snowball effect this has the potential to have.
I think you know what i mean.

Surely YOU have common sense?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Rockpuck?

Another thing, read the article this time. It says they want to gain entry in problem city areas.
That's quite a lot of areas. That is a very vague way of petitioning this and every city has problem areas, and urban schools are loded with their problem areas.
Therefore, it tells me lots more than what you'regetting out of this story!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Lots of things are out of hand today, but lets be reasonable here.

Some parents may be so afraid of thier kids (in these bad areas), or have lost control to a point where they may want thier kids room searched.

Its upto the parents to say NO they are the ultimate protectors of thier children.

Edit: As long as previous "consent" doesnt remain once they've left the premises. I could see cops trying to use that.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by ATruGod]

top topics

join