It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bullet proof clothing. Has our culture sunk so low?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Even in the city of London, why would you need bullet proof clothing? Is it really that bad? Is it a proverbial war zone?

I read the article and I'm left thinking...

Shouldn't we be thinking about how to stop people shooting each other?

If idiots have bullet proof clothing and access to guns aren't we just going to see more shootings? The fear of return fire actually killing you being diminished, not that the kind of muppets that would shoot people have much of it in the first place.

The £300 "Defender" top will stop 9mm Magnum handgun bullets, according to the developer, which also makes slash-proof vests.
Barry Samms, who owns the Romford firm, has denied targeting teenage gang members with the invention.
Mr Samms said the hoodie was primarily aimed at US customers concerned about gun violence in their country.

So any takers, that's around $600 for a bullet proof top, that is not aimed at gang members and psychopathic collage students!

Or am I getting it all wrong?

Is this a good thing that will allow normal people to feel safer when out on the streets, which are obviously not a safe place to be these days.

Or is this just another way to squeze a few more dollars/pounds from the scared masses?

It really dosen't sit well with me that the general public would need this, what the hell is wrong with the world?

MonKey

BBC article

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey.

It really doesn't sit well with me that the general public would need this, what the hell is wrong with the world?

CM, I don't know what is wrong with the world. Something, that for sure!

But I think the Mfg's of this clothing line are hoping for some of those lucrative government contracts. But I can guarantee you that those involved in the drug trade will also provide a nice market niche for Mr. Samms.

And to address your second question ChiKey. "Has our culture sunk so low?" Need you even ask? When professional wrestlers make more money than college professors; it's Mondo Cane my brother!!

[edit on 4-4-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
it is just another money spinner perpetuated by the media that thrives off public fear.

those people who spend money of guns do so because of fear. Next stop is the gas mask etc, oh and don't forget the bullet proof clothing.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well, living in London, I can understand why people want this. Many london kids already regularly wear stab proof vests to school and such. I know teenagers who carry knives and are willing to stab people, and there are a lot more stabbings here than the news tells you, and many aren't even reported to police.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
First thing I did when I bought my pickup was install anti smash-and-grab film over my windows. Tinted too ... this is not to look cool, it's self preservation in a country where hijacks, murder and robbery is a way of life. I don't want to buy a pistol (the laws here against shooting a criminal about to kill/rape you are terrible) I don't see a problem with passive defence though.

I wouldn't mind some of that bullet-proof cloth to put in my doors as well.

Peace ... hmmm no - peace-of-mind.

top topics

join