It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's statement on gay marriage contradictory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

"America is a free society, which limits the role of government in the lives of our citizens," he said. "This commitment of freedom, however, does not require the redefining of one of our most basic social institutions

"Our government should respect every person and respect the institution of marriage," he said. "There is no contradiction between these responsibilities."

if judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process.

How is letting homosexuals marry affecting hetereosexual marriage in any way shape or form?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
CutWolf you are EXACTLY right. Bill Richardson (Gov New Mexico) is on Foxnews right now saying the same thing.

As I have stated before I am not exactly "for" gay marriage. I believe marriage is religious and civil unions for gay and straight should be availible.

Now do I think gay marriage will be a reality? Honestly no, mainly becuase the "sub-culture" in the gay community makes it very undesirable to many. Let me explain that. The couples in San Fran that showed up in buttless chaps to get married ruin it for all the other gay/lesbians out there. The absolute worse thing for the gay community in my opinion are the sexually charged sub culture gay parades. They are always full of S/M and sex. I believe this is what the average american sees as gay life. I believe it is not gay life, but it is what is put on TV and flaunted by many in that community. Fixing that falls upon the gay community only. These types of lifestyles exsist in the straight community as well, we just don't see hundreds of straight people building floats that depict that lifestyle, nor would it be tolerated.

Until those issues are resolved, gaining ground on this issue is almost impossible.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Its sad how Bush flaunts "protecting every citizen" and then bars a right to gay's because of their sexuality. Why didn't he add an "every citizen except Gay people."

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I suppose someone could respond to your question by asking:

"How is a man who is married to 10 women negatively affecting traditional couples who are married"?

or

"Why do people have such a problem with a man who wants to marry a 13 year old girl who is in love with him"?

or

"Why do traditionalist have such problem with a man who wants to marry his sister? If they are both consenting adults, under no duress, what is the big deal"?

These situations, including gays getting married, are social taboos. What makes them taboos is that they are common to most, if not all, societies around the world.

Emile Durkheim was a 19th century French scientist, who pioneered many of our strongest ideas and theories in modern sociology. He invented the term "Anomie", which refers to a condition in a society in which people become detached from the norms that usually guide their behavior. This is usually the result of overindulgence in selfishness and priority placed on the individual over the health of the whole.

Clearly, modern America is suffering from this condition.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Edited now that I have calmed down a bit.

[Edited on 2/24/2004 by nativeokie]

[Edited on 2/24/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Your missing the point.

I have nothing against gays personally, as I have gay friends and relatives. I also have gay co-workers, and I treat them no differently then anyone else.

It IS the same a polygamy and incest. It is a social taboo that has been carried down through the generations for many millenia, for specific social reasons.

Also, divorce has no bearing on getting married, as they are two separate topics with distinctly different social ramifications.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by Pyros]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

"How is a man who is married to 10 women negatively affecting traditional couples who are married"?

Unless the benefits do not scale and all wives consent than I have no problem with this. Scaling benefits leads to a new way of exploiting federal programs that the Government cannot support.

"Why do people have such a problem with a man who wants to marry a 13 year old girl who is in love with him"?

Because anyone under the age of 18 cannot consent to be married.

"Why do traditionalist have such problem with a man who wants to marry his sister? If they are both consenting adults, under no duress, what is the big deal"?

The only reason is that it greatly increases birth defects.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by Cutwolf]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie

Now do I think gay marriage will be a reality? Honestly no, mainly becuase the "sub-culture" in the gay community makes it very undesirable to many. Let me explain that. The couples in San Fran that showed up in buttless chaps to get married ruin it for all the other gay/lesbians out there. The absolute worse thing for the gay community in my opinion are the sexually charged sub culture gay parades. They are always full of S/M and sex. I believe this is what the average american sees as gay life. I believe it is not gay life, but it is what is put on TV and flaunted by many in that community. Fixing that falls upon the gay community only. These types of lifestyles exsist in the straight community as well, we just don't see hundreds of straight people building floats that depict that lifestyle, nor would it be tolerated.

Until those issues are resolved, gaining ground on this issue is almost impossible.

I have to strongly agree about this. It gets me so irritated when we are only shown in one light. And yes it is mostly our own fault. Even on Will & Grace......every single one of the gays that are shown on that show are nelly queens. It pisses me off because I know so many gay men that could kick anyone of these so-called hetero's arse anyday of the week it would be funny to watch.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bush is a complete and utter fool dancing on the end of strings being pulled by his old man, Cheney and the One World Order Zionist Jews.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf

"America is a free society, which limits the role of government in the lives of our citizens,"

This is historically the goal, is it not?

he said. "This commitment of freedom, however, does not require the redefining of one of our most basic social institutions

Again, a true statement. Don't see a problem so far.

"Our government should respect every person and respect the institution of marriage," he said. "There is no contradiction between these responsibilities."

It is true, you can respect many things, while allowing only some. There is no contradiction there.

if judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process.

The judicial system is in drastic need of repair, and most people would agree. Again, no problem with this statement,

Where is this alleged contradiction?

top topics

join