It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AboveTopSecret Torrent file?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I Think it would be a good Idea to select threads and form a massive library or codex of conspiracy subjects all organized and easy to find, and compressed into a torrent file. This would be great for many reasons such as if ATS was ever shut down due to future political turmoil, or for offline viewing and research purposes.

For instance anyone with this codex of PDF's or zip files can burn it to a CD-R or put it on a Jump drive. if properly stored they will still have this data 20 years from now. Now all the information on this file is already available on ATS, but is there any guarantee that all the valuable info will be available 20 years from now, even 10? by then thread and post counts will be unfathomable.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
grrrr... can't seem to star your post sorry.... I think it's not allowed in this part of the board or something. I flagged it though.

However.... BRILLIANT idea

Backing the whole site up would be a pain but you can extract it in plain ANSI text from the database (I mean the posts).

Also if that's too much work than still some of the most memorable posts should be archived.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I love the idea.......

If I could save an entire thread as I load pages I'd have more than a few I would archive either to a DVD R or an external drive. In a worst case scenario ATS could be rebuilt from files members have saved.

I'm sure SkepticOverlord has a back-up of his back-ups, and he must have a full back-up geographically separated from the main servers. But for the regular members to be able to store entire threads would be a bonus.

I know I'd use it for off-line reading, but it would also secure an archive if anything happened in the future.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Even better: Let's set up a backup Geocities page or even a Gmail account so as not to lose contact in case ATS goes down?

Think about it, if ATS goes down, and there is SOME backup meeting place, even a small Gmail account, known to most members, then we will not lose contact.

Otherwise, we would lose contact and the purpose of ATS would be wasted.

So, be prepared, create a couple backup accounts/web pages.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It's as easy as saving a photo onto your hard drive... I'm sure they back up this site and this material can not be copied in any way without their permission... Even though I'm sure it already has been in one form or another...

It's a good idea and something I could do very easily or help with... Question is would they let me... ? I won't copy anything unless they say I can... And with the current setup I would need admin rights and access to the servers, which they wouldn't allow I'm sure... Copying it otherwise would take forever!!!

Maybe ATS could open an FTP site for those who wanted to do this... Have ATS backup the site every hour to an FTP account not connected to the main site in any way, just a backup, that users could login to with their ATS username and password... Then simply use an FTP program to download the main directory containing the website and all the material... Then drag the directory onto a DVD and that's it... Now it's backed up in thousands of homes world wide...

I think the idea of having backups of the site in several peoples hands would be brilliant... Would ensure the survival of this great website! Good post man!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Wow... that's a good idea. A back up not connected to the main site....

I guess they'll have to agree with that
(or at least I hope...)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Just save the threads you like as MHT (web archive) in Internet Explorer.

That's the best way I've found.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
SteveR, thats how I came up with Idea, the point is not to do a torrent of the entire website but instead to make copies of the content on the mainsite and some of the most important threads ever made, maybe a committee will decide which threads are used and which arent. Useless threads that dont accomplish anything or bring forth any info that hasnt been mentioned previously, could be left out. The point is not to back the site up in case it goes down, this has probably been done before. Not to be paranoid but what if the internet was shut down entirely, because of some kind of political turmoil, wouldnt it be nice to have the wealth of info on ATS stored on a disc?

Or even better, it would make research on subjects a lot easier, no longer having to sift through useless threads and posts.

top topics

join