It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's keeping us from Mars?(and the moon) Space rays, say experts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

What's keeping us from Mars?(and the moon) Space rays, say experts

uk.reuters.com

Cosmic rays are so dangerous and so poorly understood that people are unlikely to get to Mars or even back to the moon until better ways are found to protect astronauts, experts said on Monday.

"Given today's knowledge and today's understanding of radiation protection, to put someone out in that type of environment would violate the current requirements that NASA has."

NOWHERE TO HIDE

The cosmic rays include galactic cosmic radiation or GCR and solar particles.

"You can put on very thick walls and they just won't protect you from that," van Hoften said. "The younger you are the worse it is," he added, because as with many types of radiation, it can take years for the damage to cause disease.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
We went to the moon right? .remember? in those tin cans wrapped in foil? lol. if we went to the moon , there are all these dangerous cosmic rays around , why are a lot of the astronauts that went to the moon , a ripe old age and appear fit and well?

It looks like if we want any decent type of exploration and to realy go to the moon then mars and onwards, we need to think of a way of blocking these rays .. hmm difficult. current wall technology won't cut it , something more exotic must be needed,

So until this is conquered i guess those little robots will have to do the exploring for us .. its cheaper that way.... geez if we went to the moon in 1969 ... you would have thought .. we would have progressed a bit .. it seems we have gone backwards.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit spelling]

[edit on 31/3/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Please, we know how to deflect cosmic rays. But they want their weapons in space before they go to the moon...You know, just in case.

Or

Maybe the moon already has a base on it. And they are trying to figure out what they can do to turn it back on.

Or

It's really cosmic rays...But I just don't buy it. When they sent guys to the moon the first time, they were all strapping young lads who were mostly career military personnel. They received the very best in equipment and training. To believe that these cosmic rays are so dangerous as to severely impact younger astronauts, we have a long history of space walks. I think we can handle a trip back to the moon. With all the work we're doing with nanocarbon construction, would it not stand to reason that we could make lead in a nanoweave very thin, yet layered in pattern to cover gaps, and fitted as a radiation shield encased in polyethylene walls. Use some imagination NASA. You're killin' me here!

[edit on 31-3-2008 by projectvxn]

new topics

join