It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Iran, Iraq, China Top US Enemies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Poll: Iran, Iraq, China Top US Enemies

www.breitbart.com

China has replaced North Korea as one of the top three U.S. enemies, according to a poll of Americans.

Iran topped the list, with 25 percent naming it when asked which country is the greatest U.S. enemy, according to the Gallup Poll. Iraq came next at 22 percent, then China with 14 percent.

North Korea was named by 9 percent—half the number who cited it a year earlier.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I don't know who in the world they polled, (apparently 1,007 of the most uninformed people in the country) but none of these countries are any threat to our way of life. They're all thousands of miles away, but again, the "boogeyman is out to get us."

"Be scared of foreigners, they will hurt you. The US government knows what's best for you, so let's invade them. Give us all your money and we'll protect you."

Iraq is obviously being occupied right now. I can't possibly understand how they're a threat. Saddam has been gone for years, and there's no air force or ballistic missile the "insurgent" have access to.

Are the Iraqi people a threat to our military? Maybe, but only because we're "over there." If we weren't there in the first place, the threat would clearly be over.

There's been constant warmongering over Iran. I can at least understand why some people believe Iran is "bad." The republicans and democrats have been seen battling it out, testing the water to see if an invasion with Iran would be "OK." Well it wouldn't, but that's another story altogether.

If people think our military is spread thin now...Wait till we invade another foreign country. It seems wars in Afghanistan and Iraq aren't enough. We must invade another middle eastern country.

I'm sure the people of that region are going to love us after we carpet bomb them all to smithereens.

"We love America, thank you for your depleted uranium shells and bunker busters."

China, a growing economic rival of the U.S., was cited by 11 percent as top enemy a year ago.

Maybe if we stopped selling our garbage to China, then buying it back as "goods" we wouldn't be in such tight ropes here at home. Maybe if we were more economically sustainable there wouldn't be problems with other countries. However, we rely on China for cheap goods (made from our garbage) and oil from the middle east. If we could figure out as a country that's a very terrible idea, and to bring production back home, we'd be all set.

However, laws are set up to ensure self-sufficiency is not "economic." Thanks to subsidies, we can afford to purchase foreign products. Soon enough, we are going to have to buy EVERYTHING local.

Mark my words.

Gallup first asked the question in early 2001, before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11. At the time, Iraq was seen as the biggest foe, followed by China and Iran.

Thanks to warmongering by the politicians, "Al Qaeda" was linked to Iraq (clearly a faulty one at that). If Al Qaeda does exist, they are now probably in Iraq thanks to our invasion. Saddam and Bin Laden hated each other, but the media doesn't tell us that. We're not worthy of the truth apparently. So the weak link between Iraq and Bin Laden gave some people incentive for war. The rest of us were uninformed and ignorant about the true reasons for invasion. Go figure.

Iraq has remained one of the most frequently named ever since, even though Saddam Hussein was overthrown and the current Baghdad government is backed by the U.S.

Oh really? As Americans, we are more likely to care about pop stars than politics. We will watch American Idol over Meet the Press. We eat genetically modified garbage and don't even think twice about what other kind of crap we put in our body. We drink fluorinated water, and take mercury shots at birth...

THAT'S where I come from...

Republicans are more than twice as likely as Democrats to see Iran as the top U.S. enemy, while Democrats are likelier to name Iraq. Older people and those who say they closely follow world news are less likely to cite Iraq than the younger and less informed.

Again, more warmongering...This is less about a connection with reality, and more about PROFIT.

Another war would make some people billions of dollars, while the economy would surely tank. "Wars improve the economy." Yeah right, how about now? We're in 2 wars and the economy is about to crash.

Whoever said that sure made a nice profit off our tax dollars.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/31/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sigh.

Why are they even RUNNING these types of polls? It just goes to show you how the polluted MSM shapes public opinion. How can Iraq still be considered one of our greatest 'enemies'? They never did anything to us to begin with! WE ATTACKED THEM!

Maybe they can add Russia, Syria, Venezuela and any other country that doesn't kiss our arse and bow down before us to the list. I'm so sick of all this war and fear-mongering.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I have a question for ATSers:

Who do you think presents the most harm to American citizens?

In my opinion, it is any government that claims to know what's best for "us," then goes behind our back and does the exact opposite. Who am I talking about? Guess who.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

ABSOLUTELY...Our own gov are the biggest terrorists on the face of the planet right now. They are the epitome of evil and are a danger to us all.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
How the devil can Iraq possibly be the #2 enemy?!

North Korea doesnt even make the top 3 despite being a communist, nuclear armed state! All of a sudden it isnt a threat if the Philharmonic plays there?

Nah mate, something smells fishy about that poll.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by 44soulslayer]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Speaking of North Korea ...

IN a cold sweat, I was led away by the jackbooted and armed North Korean border guards to a bleak side room.

My crime was that I’d disobeyed strict orders and taken pictures of the Stalinist dictatorship’s long-suffering people and the ruthless military who keep them suppressed.

Rogue North Korea isn’t the greatest place to be detained by the army.

The “Axis Of Evil” member, described as the “most barbaric regime on the planet”, is ruled by oddball despot Kim Jong-il, whose finger hovers over the nuclear button.

Yeah that sounds a lot more dangerous than Iran, who have never done anything to us, despite wanting nuclear power (and possibly arms to ensure mutually assured destruction with Israel).

I thought this picture was an interesting look at the Korean peninsula:

Notice how many more people are on the street in the south. That's because they don't live in a police state.

Here's a picture of Kaesong, North Korea:

And Iraq is dangerous? Please.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Um how is Iraq an enemy?!
They are now supposed to be a firm ally, really shows the ignorance of some people. Why is China Americas enemy? They are keeping your economy propped up right now! And as for Iran, America made it it's enemy through constant interferance in their affairs stretching back to the implementation of the Shah on the Iranian people.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Yeah China now owns pretty much all of our debt, Iraq is an ally with us now, and Iran has never threatened the US.

I'm really astonished at the level of ignorance (?) in this country about world news and affairs.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
That's awesome...

The Iraqi .gov we put in place is our #2 enemy?

It's sad, Americans know more about Britney Spears' latest outrage than they do about our foreign policy.

The paranoid in me suspects this is not entirely accidental.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

I don't quite understand how Iraq could ever be a top enemy of ours. I can at least somewhat understand China and Iran. There's been sufficient fear mongering about how bad Chinese food products are and how crappy their industrial items have been. Iran of course, well...there's that whole nuclear bomb thing...

Iraq though! What in the hell? How in the world is Iraq a threat to us? Aside from the fact that none of these countries has the capability to attack us here in the US, why Iraq in particular?

The "insurgents" and "terrorists" are scary huh?

Since when was different scary and terrorizing? I guess as soon as the neocons took power. How else are they going to make some money.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Thousands of miles away. Kind of reminds me of the isolationism mentality Americans had just prior to Pearl Harbor and World War II! Expecting those countries to be primitive in some kind of way? Scared the heck out of Japan when a ballistic missile went over Japan.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
(apparently 1,007 of the most uninformed people in the country)

Great post, but that right there alone got a 'star' out of me

I wish they would have polled me. Top three enemies:

1) Federal Reserve
2) Media
3) Our Ignorance

Nothing foreign there. The domestic enemy is much greater in this country.

If you look at everything this government says, they're basically admitting their crimes. "The terrorists want to destabilize Iraq", "the terrorists want to steal Iraq's oil", "the terrorists hate our freedoms", "the terrorists want to ruin our economy" blah blah blah.

There definitely is domestic terrorism, but it's coming from the ones passing the bills.

We've allowed Al Qaeda, an illusion and an idea controlled by 'them', to win and take over this country because we've put the power in to the hands of the real terrorists to hunt down the real terrorists. We've basically given them the power to hunt down themselves.

That's real logical.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
deltaboy,

If you want to break it down and compare today's current situation (I'm assuming you meant 911 which had nothing to do with any of these countries) and Pearl Harbor, well there's not much to compare.

Pearl Harbor was known about previously, and let to happen. That's really the only comparison that works. Bush clearly knew about a potential attack on the WTC months ahead of time, and ignored it.

Same could be said about FDR and Pearl Harbor. Other than that, there's no comparison.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hmm... this interesting. Iraq I can somewhat understand as the insurgency is still a threat to our troops out there. Iran I can see given the way relations between us have been. But what I find interesting is China has now replaced North Korea. Public opinion is shifting against China more and more, much like how the Soviet Union's image in the US dramatically dropped after WWII.

So it seems the stage is set, this should make for an interesting show.

top topics

join