It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depressed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Are you down in the dumps lately?
Can't find a job?
Bills coming in?
workers comp giving you the run around?
Marriage on the rocks?
Dog bit your leg?
Neighbors cat uses your yard for a litter box?
Life just basically suck overall?

*good.... its all going according to their plan then isn't it?*
I once read a quote that said "President Bush must really love the poor.. he has created so many of them"

With the world the way it is today.. what is there NOT to be depressed about?
But how old must you be to suffer from this dire illness?
Well apparently children as young as 3 1/2 years old can be treated for depression..

How are they being treated? What is the miracle cure?

Lets take a look at that shall we?

Lets start with Zoloft....

More common side effects may include:
Abdominal pain, agitation, anxiety, constipation, decreased sex drive, diarrhea or loose stools, difficulty with ejaculation, dizziness, dry mouth, fatigue, gas, headache, decreased appetite, increased sweating, indigestion, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, pain, rash, sleepiness, sore throat, tingling or pins and needles, tremor, vision problems, vomiting

Less common or rare side effects may include:
Acne, allergic reaction, altered taste, back pain, blindness, breast development in males, breast pain or enlargement, breathing difficulties, bruise-like marks on the skin, cataracts, changeable emotions, chest pain, cold, clammy skin, conjunctivitis (pinkeye), coughing, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, double vision, dry eyes, eye pain, fainting, feeling faint upon arising from a sitting or lying position, feeling of illness, female and male sexual problems, fever, fluid retention, flushing, frequent urination, hair loss, heart attack, hemorrhoids, hiccups, high blood pressure, high pressure within the eye (glaucoma), hearing problems, hot flushes, impotence, inability to stay seated, increased appetite, increased salivation, increased sex drive, inflamed nasal passages, inflammation of the penis, intolerance to light, irregular heartbeat, itching, joint pains, kidney failure, lack of coordination, lack of sensation, leg cramps, menstrual problems, low blood pressure, migraine, movement problems, muscle cramps or weakness, need to urinate during the night, nosebleed, pain upon urination, prolonged erection, purplish spots on the skin, racing heartbeat, rectal hemorrhage, respiratory infection/lung problems, ringing in the ears, rolling eyes, sensitivity to light, sinus inflammation, skin eruptions or inflammation, sleepwalking, sores on tongue, speech problems, stomach and intestinal inflammation, swelling of the face and throat, swollen wrists and ankles, thirst, throbbing heartbeat, twitching, vaginal inflammation, hemorrhage or discharge, yawning

Zoloft may also cause mental or emotional symptoms such as:
Abnormal dreams or thoughts, aggressiveness, exaggerated feeling of well-being, depersonalization ("unreal" feeling), hallucinations, impaired concentration, memory loss, paranoia, rapid mood shifts, suicidal thoughts (hang on now... say what????), tooth-grinding, worsened depression

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I dont really understand what your getting at here. Please explain.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I like how when I was areested for pot when I was 15,they told me Iwas self-medicating with marijuana because I was depressed.What I thought was funny was that they were willing to arrest me for use of marijuana they thought was for self-medication,and tell me its wrong to use marijauna to help with depression,Yet is was more than acceptible for me to go on depression medication that costs ten times more and had MANY more side effects than marijuana.

Hmmmmm... a possible link between....--War on drugs-----Big drug companies pushing their drugs-----politicians making harsh drug laws because they get huge campiagn contributions from drug companies

I think we have found the true reason behind the war on drugs....its not to protect anyone BUT the huge drug companies.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TekNo88

I don't have the answers but I think it is about time we started asking the questions..
Why are so many more people being diagnosed with depression now?
Why are children being given these drugs?
Why when some of these drugs were banned in other countries because of their dangers are they still being pushed in the United States?

I am saying.. ask yourself these questions and lets discuss some possible answers.

1. could be pure greed on the behalf of the doctors

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Seems to me like most drugs I see advertised have side effect far worse than the problem they are suposed to solve. What person in their right mind would want to trade one problem for another ten? I think that if I had to go through those side effects, I would see depression as an improvement!!! Kinda strange that the people in those adds seem so happy. "I have diarrhea, nausea, impotence, etc. but that doesn't matter because I'm not depressed, yipee!!!!"

And what about all those drug adds that say they can make your life better then wisper a list of side effects real quick but don't even mention what it's suppose to treat?

How can someone be cured from depression if they are impotent? That would be enough to drive me into a deep depression!!

If you're depressed, drugs can only make it worse

My advice: get laid

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
I like how when I was areested for pot when I was 15,they told me Iwas self-medicating with marijuana because I was depressed.What I thought was funny was that they were willing to arrest me for use of marijuana they thought was for self-medication,and tell me its wrong to use marijauna to help with depression,Yet is was more than acceptible for me to go on depression medication that costs ten times more and had MANY more side effects than marijuana.

Hmmmmm... a possible link between....--War on drugs-----Big drug companies pushing their drugs-----politicians making harsh drug laws because they get huge campiagn contributions from drug companies

I think we have found the true reason behind the war on drugs....its not to protect anyone BUT the huge drug companies.

This doesn't exactly explain why the big drug companies couldn't just create a monopoly by importing/exporting what now we call "illegal drugs" and creating a legal, profitable market as they are highly addictive. Maybe there is more to this... it wasn't illegal until someone decreed that it will from now on be illegal... the question is, instead of legally profiting from these drugs, why would someone ban their use?

Sure the CIA might practice drug trafficking and illegally finance black projects etc using drug money from other countries like Afghanistan etc... but why not make it legal, wouldn't it create a much bigger market?

Seems like they are hiding something... something that perhaps threatens those elites at the top... but what could it be?

Note, that some anti-depression drugs have side effects like "Suicidal thoughts or tendencies" which is rather odd, as it seems that suicidal thoughts is what the drugs are supposed to PREVENT. There's something really sneaky going on there...

Or what about the flu vaccine.. it was public knowledge that it didn't help against the strain that was around... but why did they insist everyone get it.. makes you think they're putting something in these drugs etc... but could that be the case? If so, what would be the reason for drugging the population? What about chemicals that cigarette companies put in cigarettes.?

Could it be a massive mind control operation through over the counter drugs and cigarettes?

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari

Originally posted by TekNo88

I don't have the answers but I think it is about time we started asking the questions..
Why are so many more people being diagnosed with depression now?
Why are children being given these drugs?
Why when some of these drugs were banned in other countries because of their dangers are they still being pushed in the United States?

I am saying.. ask yourself these questions and lets discuss some possible answers.

1. could be pure greed on the behalf of the doctors

I see what your saying. Yeah, it does seem like more people are getting diagnosed with depression now. I've had about 4 friends get diagnosed with depression and my dad diagnosed with manic depression- all within the last year.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
How do we know that more people are depressed now than in the past?

Surely all we can say is that more people are cliaming to be depressed. and coming forward for help. Or that doctors are treating people for depression more than in the past because they see their root cause is depression.

I am sure people living 150 years ago with crappy diets, short lifespansm, poor living conditions, poverty, disease, and boredom would have been a heck of a lot more depressed than people today.

Is depression today merely a sign that we can't cope with adversity any more?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Are you down in the dumps lately?
Can't find a job?
Bills coming in?
workers comp giving you the run around?
Marriage on the rocks?
Dog bit your leg?
Neighbors cat uses your yard for a litter box?
Life just basically suck overall?

Instead of taking medication for these problems, why not just solve them??

Down in the dumps lately? Get a life
Cant find a job? Get off your a$$ and look in the newspaper
Bills coming in? Pay them with the money from your new job.
Workers comp give you the run around? Hunt them down like wounded animals.
Marriage on the rocks? Get a hooker.
Dog bit your leg? Get a rabies shot and kick the dog.
Neighbors cat uses your yard as a litter box? Shoot the dam thing with a bebe gun.
Life just basically suck overall? Get laid.

Theres the answers to your problems people.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Most of the depression is a result of three things that I am aware of:

environmental issues, psychological, and due to the wave coming (weigh in Lilblam)

environment issues are pollution and less than ideal lifestyles, psychological issues are the primary inability to measure up to societies standards impressed upon us.

the wave is lifting us to a higher level and the body must adjust and depression is one way it does this.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
even 50 years ago, severely depressed people were instutionalized, so society forgot they existed. it's only in the past 20 years that antidepressants have become good enough to allow severely ill people to function in society and shine a light onto the problem. yeah, they're overprescribed. but don't begrudge these drugs to the people who desperately need them because of some misuse.

btw NephraTari, you're on my livejournal friends list. read my entries from the past month or so, and you'll understand what I'm getting at.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
People I know when talking about "depressed" people they always say its a chemical imbalance...so then they need the perscription drugs to correct thier imbalance.That I laugh at..so someone is depressed and the chemicals change in thier brian so you give them drugs to cure that imbalance.But what about the fact that they are depressed because thier mom just died,lost thier job,has no girl friend/boyfriend..ect ect .
Drugs cant cure this and the problem does not lie within the chemistry of the brain.The unbalance of the chemicals in the brain are merley a side effect of the depression.Thus simply trying to correct the balance is not the answer.IMO of coarse

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
People I know when talking about "depressed" people they always say its a chemical imbalance...so then they need the perscription drugs to correct thier imbalance.That I laugh at

aww, how cute. isn't it fun to feel superior over people who are sick?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Can you please explain what you mean?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
in your post, you say you laugh at people who say they use antidepressants to correct a chemical imbalance. that's pretty mean, don't you think? painting every depressed person with that broad a brush is folly. sure, there are lots of people with situational depression (their mom died, they lost a job, etc.), but that doesn't mean they can't be in serious pain. if antidepressants get them through a tough time, great.
there are also people that suffer recurring bouts of very severe depression throughout their lives. these people probably would have been instutionalized and forgotten about 50 years ago. the thought of begruging someone a chance at a normal life is pretty cold.
depression isn't a matter of "snapping out of it" or "cheering up". if a person can do that, they're not depressed. simple as that. give people on antidepressants a break. they're already in a lot of pain, and are looking for a way back to a normal life. who can blame them?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ok thats why I asked,

I thought you may have misunderstood what i meant but was not sure if thats what you meant.

When I said I laughed....I meant that the people I was talking to thought that they ONLY reason the were depressed was because the had a chemical imbalance...And that I do not believe.I dont not believe that some people are naturally just depressed because of a chemical imbalance..I feel that the imbalance is caused by the depression.

trust me....Im not laughing at depression or those that suffer from it.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There's a lot more medication available now than in the past, obviously, and it seems easier to go on these medications.

Sure people get very depressed sometimes but eventually it'll be over, but some of these people feel like they need to take meds for it, instead of allowing themselves to find ways to channel it out.

Then of course are the people with mania, you know, manic depressives, who feel it's hard to even operate while off the meds, all the time.

Could you imagine the 'mad' geniuses of the past on medication? Would our world be the way it is if not for their neurotic behavior?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Okay.. time to be blunt.

I tried to present this in a way that perhaps others might see all these things and put together what I have.

That is not happening.

Am I paranoid? perhaps.... but what I see here happening is something that I truly believe is a conspiracy. A very real conspiracy going on under our noses.. although the purpose for it.. is yet beyond my grasp.

The current state of the economy is no accident.. I think that despite claims otherwise the government is allowing things to get worse... if not actively doing offhand things to make it worse... as one of the contributors to causing the population at large to sink into depression.

Think of the word Depression.. originally it was used to describe another time of great economic downfall in a time of war similar to what we are experiencing now.

I do not think that the choice of terminology is an accident by any means but a key trigger for the psyche of the general populace to respond to.

Why would they want the population depressed?

A form of control? to what end?

I have not got all of the answers yet, but I do believe that the government wants us dependant on these drugs... did you know that if you try to stop taking these drugs that in many cases your symptoms will become extremely and in most cases WORSE than they were before you started? You go through withdrawals much like a person would coming off an illegal drug like heroin.

In my own experience those people that I know on these drugs become MORE suicidal after taking the drugs and also more hostile.

Why would you be given a drug that causes side effects worse than the problem its treating?

They have an agenda... I think it would behoove us all to figure out what the hell that agenda is.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I have to weigh in here. I take paxil for anxiety attacks.

My first one happened one night out of the blue, I seriously thought I was dying. My chest hurt, my arms were numb and I was shaking uncontrollably.

This lasted for 3 DAYS!!!

It got to the point where I seriously could not be in public. I thought I was dying every day.

I was scared of things that make no sense. Once i was doing the dishes in my apartment and for no reason, thought that there was someone down my hallway who was going to kill me. I grabbed a knife from the drawer and stood with my back against the opposite wall and cried (hard) til my husband got home. You may ask, why didn't you leave or go outside if you thought you had an intruder? I felt like I could not go outside, either.

Panic disorders are very strange and definately NOT fun.

I went through 3 years of this kind of stuff before I got a doctor who knew what was going on. I have been on paxil for 2 years. I can not tell you how thankful I am for it.

Now, with all that said. I do think that the people with everyday kind of problems, money, girl/boyfriend problems, etc. do not need medication. But speaking from experience, some of us freak out and can't control it.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by aimlessly
I have to weigh in here. I take paxil for anxiety attacks.

My first one happened one night out of the blue, I seriously thought I was dying. My chest hurt, my arms were numb and I was shaking uncontrollably.

This lasted for 3 DAYS!!!

It got to the point where I seriously could not be in public. I thought I was dying every day.

I was scared of things that make no sense. Once i was doing the dishes in my apartment and for no reason, thought that there was someone down my hallway who was going to kill me. I grabbed a knife from the drawer and stood with my back against the opposite wall and cried (hard) til my husband got home. You may ask, why didn't you leave or go outside if you thought you had an intruder? I felt like I could not go outside, either.

Panic disorders are very strange and definately NOT fun.

I went through 3 years of this kind of stuff before I got a doctor who knew what was going on. I have been on paxil for 2 years. I can not tell you how thankful I am for it.

Now, with all that said. I do think that the people with everyday kind of problems, money, girl/boyfriend problems, etc. do not need medication. But speaking from experience, some of us freak out and can't control it.

I totally understand where you are coming from.. I am not saying that medicines shouldn't be there for those who need them... but recently they are quick to tell people that they need them when.
I am talking about the fact that they are looking for any excuse to tell someone they are suffering from depression.
I am talking about people who DON'T need it, that are being prescribed it.
Something is just not right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join