It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-Theistic Meditation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Hi everyone! A long time ago I heard about a book called "The Quiet". It was on meditation and it sounded interesting so many months later I picked it up.

It's an intriguing book but while it's meant for beginners, figuring out how to meditate simply by reading is a little tough. Plus it's only one source and I can't exactly ask it questions!

Anyway, I tried searching for more help or infomation/hints on meditating, but all I'm coming up with is religious stuff. Religion isn't my thing, I don't want this thread to focus on that but I don't want to take part in some sort of meditation designed to thinly veil a religious creed.

Are there non-theistic looks at meditation? The studies being released on it seem to confirm that it is great for health, so where can I find out more?

Thanks everyone!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Hi Duality,

You really ought to look at Buddhism and its rich meditative tradition. Buddhism is a non-theistic religion. It does not posit the existence of an all powerful God the way the middle eastern religions do.

Specifically, you should look into Zen Buddhism, since it places a lot of emphasis on "zazen", seated meditation, as the key way to finding enlightenment. I've been practicing Buddhist meditation for years now, and it is a tremendous aid in helping oneself find balance in body and mind. What I like about Zen especially is that it's so practical. There is nothing theoretical or theological about it. When I first went to a zendo (a place where Zen mediation is done communally) the Roshi (head teacher) said don't think about the Buddha or amorphous concepts like satori (enlightenment). Just sit and count your breaths. That was it. If you are fortunate enough to live near a Zen dojo, it can be well worth the time to take a look.

join