It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Could Make Case for Slavery Reparations at U.N.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm Hispanic and my ancestors had nothing to do with slavery so Obama can kiss my Brown @$$.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
What about the Japanese during WW2? Thousands of them, good Americans patriots, lost their businesses, homes, savings; rounded up and sent to concentration camps ("Relocation Centers" my ass!).

Find me someone that was an actual slave. I'll do you one better; find me someone who's grandparents were a plantation slave. I doubt you will.

But I bet you can easily find a Japanese American who lost everything shortly after 7 Dec 1941.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by jerico65]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I will never support slavery reparations, but I will support the US government to give FREE transportation back home(Africa) to any slave descendant that does not want to be here.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I see no reason why I should have to pay any form of reparations. None of my ancestors owned any slaves, but a few of them did fight for the Union during the Civil War. I know I haven't been wronging the black population, so I know I don't have anything to feel guilty about.

Now if this sort of thing were to go to the UN, well basically every group on Earth would have to be compensated. I'm partly of English descent, and the English were oppressed by the Romans. Hell, even the Africans would be paying reparations to what the various African kingdoms used to do to eachother, not to mention the genocides and civil wars these days. And then we'd see both Mongolia and China would have to give each other reparations for what they've done. No one would be immune from having to pay reparations, except maybe Switzerland.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

And you will find that no one alive today was responsible for any of this...

Should blacks who have raped and killed white women have to pay those white familys for the atrocities acommitted by that race?

Wright is already treading thin with people, the american people wouldnt, as wel las they shouldnt, stand for this.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by cyberdude78

thats the thing, I didnt own any slaves, neither did my parents (who live in Germany). There are tons more americans that can vouch for this, this is a form of unjust punishment on a population that had nothing to do with past atrocities commited by their great great great great great grandparents.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Exactly. By branding all whites as being oppressors and such it's just as racist as to assume that all blacks need our money. Do people like Mr. T need our money? He came from a rough neighborhood, but he worked his way out of there. Welfare needs to be based on need, not the color of one's skin.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Reparations are not going to happen, simply because there is no way to put a dollar amount on such an epic historical crime and say "OK, debt paid."

The idea is ridiculous.

Obama has never come out in favor of reparations anyway, and even if he did, he would never be able to get it through Congress.

It's a non-issue, and a transparent scare campaign.

[edit on 3/31/08 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

Originally posted by Master_Wii
What about reparations to the native Americans, mexicans, etc etc. This list could go on and on.

Seriously. The U.S. government forcefully took this country from Native Americans and attempted to whipe them out via genocide in the process... I understand that slavery was a terrible thing but it pales in comparison to how many millions of Natives died and the sheer quantity of land stolen.

If Obama wants to make reparations for one broken treaty people are going to bring up the hundreds of others.

Who did the natives steal the land from before them?

Natives didnt have land, they were free roamers. They battled each other food land and resources at times, it just so happened that a european tribe won...And in many cases, native american indians helped white europeans to over throw various tribes in the process...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master_Wii
"One group, the African World Reparations and the Repatriation Truth Commission is demanding $777 trillion". With a T? How did they come to that number?
Seriously $777 trillion how much money is that?

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Master_Wii]

Wouldnt that make us the slaves to them, if that were to happen?! What hypocrits.

I have several friends who are from south america, and south africa, they all agree one one thing, they do not like african americans. Besides the way many of them act, they do not like african americans general attitude on society, and how society is guilty for the black mans downfall/hardship..

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Reparations are not going to happen, simply because there is no way to put a dollar amount on such an epic historical crime and say "OK, debt paid."

I agree. This is especially true given that no one alive today is responsible for any of this, sure there are a few white racists, but then again, every race has its racists...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

First, I thought in this thread, you are supposed to copy the article headline word for word. This just makes him look bad to people who browse thru this thread and Obama never even said that. His pastor did.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
They are right!!

They should get slave reparations.

A one way airline ticket back to Africa.
I would even support throwing in a thousand bucks
each, make it ten thousand bucks each.

Theres your slave reparations.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I for one think that reparations would be a VERY bad idea. It might go ok for a year or two, but then tensions would start showing up between the races. I can not help but wonder if everyone shouting for them may be being manipulated by God only knows who to start a race war here in America. I mean what better way for some unknown force to destroy us so that whoever "they" are can start using a new cash cow?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
What about the Japanese during WW2? Thousands of them, good Americans patriots, lost their businesses, homes, savings; rounded up and sent to concentration camps ("Relocation Centers" my ass!).

Find me someone that was an actual slave. I'll do you one better; find me someone who's grandparents were a plantation slave. I doubt you will.

But I bet you can easily find a Japanese American who lost everything shortly after 7 Dec 1941.

The US Government passed the Civil Liberties Act of 1988 that provided a one time payment of $20,000 to each person in the relocation camp.

The Japs had a different argument than the blacks. Reparations were an easier sell for the Americans of Japanese descent.

The Afro-Americans have been on the shakedown dance ever since.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think reparations would be a great idea on some conditions.

Every race based law would be eliminated starting with affirmative action.

Blacks would have the option to go back "home", to Liberia. Look up Liberia and why it was founded.

Just a couple of rambling thoughts...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Barack Obama is not even a descendant of the African slaves that were brought to the U.S.. Like some members have already said. He's probably not even involved in any case for slavery reperations.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
And besides that. Which African-American can prove that he is purely descended from the African slaves??? The majority of them, if not all are mixed and have either caucasian, or asian or native american features.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Which African-American can prove that he is purely descended from the African slaves???

The funny thing (sad thing really) is that slavery is endemic to Africa. Nearly all black Africans in the past practiced slavery. Many still do today. It is HIGHLY LIKELY that black people living in America have ancestors that practiced black slavery whereas it is highly UNLIKELY that white people in America have ancestors that practiced black slavery.

Also - freed blacks in America held black slaves at a MUCH higher percentage then white people.

That's the truth.

The majority of them, if not all are mixed and have either caucasian, or asian or native american features.

So they'd have to pay themselves!
Considering that most black ancestors held other blacks as slaves .. whereas most white ancestors did not - perhaps black people should just pay themselves, use self-responsiblity to better their lives, and move on.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I'm not for reparations, BUT if it means that all the gripers and complainers will finally STFU, maybe it's a good thing after all, but then again something tells me they won't.

I can just here it now, "Say Man, why did da lite skeenned brothas geet mo money?"

[edit on 31-3-2008 by Alxandro]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join