It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Words!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hi all, i'm Realism and i'm kind of new here, i wanted to start a thread and see how it goes, so please be gentle as it's my first one!

ok, i thought i'd keep it kind of light and interesting for now so my question is...

I was chatting on here the other day and i wrote something with the word THERAPIST in it, then i looked at it differently for some reason and realised that if you break the word down it actually says THE RAPIST!!

I've heard a few other word conspiracies like EVIL is LIVE spelled backwards,

So what if any weird words or explanations etc do you know of??

hope you have fun

R x

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
hmmphh, general Conspiracy forum indeed!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think that it is enlightening to look at the root derivation of words to find out their original meaning.

For example: irrational. This simply means you cannot make a "ratio", i.e. divide two integer numbers to yield a number. We say that "pi" is irrational, and people are also, as is obvious.

When you call someone irrational, you simply mean they are like a number which can't be expressed as a ratio of two other numbers. What a deal!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Two more words I just remembered, whose derivations have always struck me as a bit strange:

#

SINCERE: I've always heard this meant "without wax", because statues that had imperfections would sometimes be masked with wax. If something was "sincere" it meant genuine and there was no need to cover up or hide imperfections.

Although I've always heard the above to be true, I see here that this derivation may actually be false. Who can really say?

#

SINISTER: This is the Latin word for "left", which meant that left-handed people were sinister -- different and strange and not necessarily to be entrusted. People who were left-handed were oppressed. (The same is true today, and you will probably agree if you have ever tried to cut something difficult using the wrong-handed scissors.)

As far as I can tell, this is really the original derivation. Wikipedia backs me up here and includes some other interesting and bizarre facts about left-handedness, including that left-handed people are more prone to psychosis. (Pretty weird.)

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I saw a Jordan Maxwell movie once that spoke about some interesting words.

The word Understand was used by architects that would examine that foundation under a floor or a level.

They would stand under it to make sure it was solid.

Man and Woman. Woman = man with a womb = womb-man? Interesting.

Also, the word Liberty:

... freedom or right to frequent or use a place: The visitors were given the liberty of the city.
c. free to do or be as specified: You are at liberty to leave at any time during the meeting.
Synonyms 4. liberation. See freedom. 6. franchise, permission, license, privilege, immunity.

Source

The quote from Bill Hicks 'you are free.... to do as we tell you' comes to mind.

The word Shamash:

the chief sun god; drives away winter and storms and brightens the earth with greenery; drives away evil and brings justice and compassion

Source

and the word hebrew word Shemesh:

1. sun 2. sunrise, sun-rising, east, sun-setting, west (of direction)
3. sun (as object of illicit worship) 4. openly, publicly (in other phrases)
5. pinnacles, battlements, shields (as glittering or shining)

Source

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by baconvein
hmmphh, general Conspiracy forum indeed!

Am i in the wrong place?? i did ask for you to be nice, so if you could or would tell me where i should be and how i go about being there i will gladly oblige

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

Phew, thanks for joining in!!! thought i was gonna be left hanging!!

liking irrational, good word! and yeah i meant the meanings and origins etc, maybe i didn't make myself clear enough in my first post!

My self and my soulmate are always checking out where words come from, i think it's really interesting and important, sometimes we don't know what we are saying, and words are mantras after all! Some times, the stories or meanings behind things we say all the time without a thought are really quite shocking! just thought it would be nice to share!

thank you again!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

Yeah i think Jordan Maxwell is quite into his words, i know about the whole ISRAEL thing, isis, amen ra and saturn el or something like that,

Also was watching Michael Tsarion and he was saying that the word Tarot and Torah are basically the same, and a lot of the torah is based on tarot symbolism etc

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Can I add in just a plain old weird sounding one?
SNACK.

just saying it out loud sounds ridiculous.

The more times you say it..the stupider it sounds.
I suppose it's the same with most words but this one in particular really bugs me..

If this is common,do other languages have the same effect on other people?Maybe it's an English-speaking thing.

(Also.. do you ever forget to spell ridiculously easy words like ..

'THE' ??
Even before copious amounts of anything fermented)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
How about "budgerigar".

Who the hell thought of that as a name for an animal?!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Well there's the classic...

Dog spelled backwards is...

Evian; (easy way to recall the spelling)

Erewohn - a book by Sam Butler

Ohm | Mho

Incidently, those are called "anadromes" or "semordnilap" (which is paindrome spelled backwords).

Star | Rats

Devil | Lived

Reviled | Deliver

That's enough for now.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Good = God + O in the middle.
Devil = Evil + D at the front.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
PEN..

Do all the one vowel words sound odd after a while?

The PEN IS mightier than the sword.
Is this some kind of hidden Freudian thing or what?

Something to do with waving weapons about maybe?

"I might add that the following passage from Lord Lytton's Richelieu made a great impression on the boy:--

'Beneath the rule of men entirely great
The pen is mightier than the sword,' [4]

and that he became a prolific writer and uses an unusually large fountain-pen. ,When I asked him what need he had of this pen, he replied in a characteristic manner, 'I have so much to express.'

psychclassics.yorku.ca...

Maybe I'm being 'too Freudian' and just reading stuff into things that just isn't there..
Or maybe the lack of alcohol has caused my brain to start working

EDIT.. Ok after checking the spelling here ithe brain isn't entirely working.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
i think small words can be mental sounding, not sure about the pen is mightier thing, both are falic symbols also, but we all know that words are much more powerful than violence, and also, according to Micheal Tsarion, we as a race have forgotten how to understand symbolism which much of our ancient world was built on so maybe it is part of the government, basically saying, giving the people words will destroy them, take their focus away from understanding their true thoughts and this will be much more affective than violence!

lol, who's being over analitical now????

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Communication and life would have been so much simpler if we'd stuck to hieroglyphics.

A picture paints a thousands words..
Imagine what a modern day computer keyboard would be life.

Lack of understanding causes mistrust and paranoia.
It also means deliberate mistranslations would not be such a powerful propaganda tool...

We wouldn't have words like 'SNACK' either..Just a hieroglyph of a chicken and sweetcorn sandwich.
Mmmm

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
lol

oh gosh, that is such an amazing thought, a hieroglyphic keyboard!!! it would be the size of a room!

The more you look into language the more it does start to become a conspiracy, i mean, the fact that however many percent of the english language is all derived from latin, then how it's also pretty much stolen from every other language out there really! like we couldn't think of one, but is it even a good thing to have anyways?

Divide and conquer never was done on such a mass and blatent scale!!

There are some lovely sounding words though, what about serendipity, i love that word!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by realism

What words could be lovelier than
'Mixed kebab with garlic or chilli nachos' mmmm..
And some of them don't have English origins either.
(Note to self.. Find takeway menu.)

Latin has a natural musical sound.. It should be made the world standard.
Who doesn't love listening to huge symphonic choirs?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

What words could be lovelier than
'Mixed kebab with garlic or chilli nachos' mmmm..
And some of them don't have English origins either.
(Note to self.. Find takeway menu.)

Do you ever stop thinking about food???

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by realism
Do you ever stop thinking about food???

It's this bleedin low carb diet.. Gonna have to quit it for a week I think.
The cat's in severe danger of getting grilled and getting jammed in between a few sliced of toast..

Getting back to the language though.
I love the way it is pronounced by Icelandics.
Bjork is superb..
and you must have heard of this artiste.. Emiliani Torrini..
It sounds so must better than being slaughtered by the 'locals'.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join